New Pool Balancing

atl_nj

Jun 1, 2020
NJ
Hi all,

I have spent the last 3 weeks reading as much as I can from this site in anticipation of getting my new pool put in. There is so much great information and I am totally sold on the TFP method so I want to thank you all in advance.

In any case I wanted to post my first test results and get some feedback on how to proceed so I don't mess anything up. The pool is pretty small (5300 Gallon AGP/ Sand Filter/ No SWG). I had a similar sized pool before but just threw random chemicals in based on what the bottles said and never had nice looking water.

The pool was filled late Sunday with 5-10% water from my well and the rest with clear water from the fire company (from a hydrant). I spent half the day Monday getting my pump operating again so didn't test until about 24 hours after the fill and my numbers are below:

FC - 0
CC - 0
PH - 7.6
CYA - 0 (Not cloudy at all)
TA - 120-160 (started to change around 120 but not fully changed until 160)
CH - 110 - 160 (I had a hard time with this one because it went purple at first then blue)

Test kit was a Taylor 2006

The only thing I have done so far was add 2 cups of 12% LC. I tested about an hour after that to make sure I was doing the FC test correct and got 2.2PPM FC.

I was going to add CYA today. I have HTH stabilizer granulars and PoolMath tells me to add 2LB.

I am going to rerun all the tests tonight or tomorrow to ensure my TA, PH and CH numbers are right but is there anything else I should be doing other than adding CYA and more bleach? Do I need to lower my TA?

Thanks in advance

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Welcome to the forum!
Great job on getting ready and having a great test kit.
CYA and chlorine. That is all you need. TA will come down as you adjust your pH from 8 to 7.6. If that rise is too fast then you can address the TA.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.