New Pentair IC-40 is here!

'member when you adjusted to 10 FC to free yourself up to partake in other aspects of life ?

agnes.jpg

(Adjust as necessary)

• Love
Reactions: Meghanfoss
Target 3 ppm FC per day. Use Effects of Adding Chemicals in PoolMath
Great! That’s puts me at 40%.

FC this morning is 8.5 (which is just about the high end of my target with CYA 80)so I guess the hope would be that end of day, after all the sun is down, I’d still have roughly the same FC?

Reactions: Newdude
'member when you adjusted to 10 FC to free yourself up to partake in other aspects of life ?
View attachment 424924
Hahahahaa!! Boy do I. My how far I’ve come in these mere few days.

I kept the old unions and o rings on because they still work fine and figured I’d keep the new ones as replacement.

She’s firing away!

Reactions: Newdude
Yup. You want to end today free and clear of minimum. You don't want to start tomorrow near minimum, ending even closer or below.

Can’t ever be without a hitch right? So I noticed a tiny little drip coming from the left union. As you can see, part of it is not manufacturer provided as it’s white. I tried replacing the o ring but it still drops and I can’t seem to get that white part off for a full union replacement.

5DE40574-90A7-4436-A892-198FC335E39A.jpeg

Help? Any suggestions?

Can’t ever be without a hitch right? So I noticed a tiny little drip coming from the left union. As you can see, part of it is not manufacturer provided as it’s white
The proper tension can be a bit tricky to get. I spent the first several years overtightening mine before realizing their definition of tight was my definition of snug. By tightening it further trying to stop drips, I created more.

Make it hand tight and adjust in small increments

Meghan,

I would not replace the unions until you have removed the old O-rings and lubed them.

If that does not work, then I'd take the new O-rings out of the new unions and use them.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So I’ve got WD-40 and ✨lubbbe✨ if you’re picking up what I’m putting down.

Would either of those suffice?
Definitely not WD-40... I can't speak to other lubes, but the PoolLube works great, and I use it every time I disrupt an o-ring (i.e. like when I clean out my pump baskets). I've also used Magic Lube, which also worked well.

Silicone-based, like Aladdin Magic Lube II (the II is important).

Avoid petroleum based lubes (Vaseline, WD-40 though it isn't technically supposed to be a lubricant) on o-rings. Some o-rings will start to degrade with petroleum based lubes.

I would advise against the "spray" type silicone lubes (even if a popular YouTube pool guy is always seen using silicone spray lube). They usually contain petroleum products to make them sprayable, so again, they would probably react with some o-rings in time.

Since you brought up WD-40, just a fun little historical anecdote about it. The name stands for "Water Dryer #40" (presumably, the 40th attempt to create the formula). It was made to fill a contract with the US Dept. of Defense to act as a corrosion inhibitor for the skin of Atlas missiles. The company founded to produce it was originally called "The Rocket Chemical Company". Though they had renamed themselves to "The WD-40 Company" shortly before I was born, I remember having old cans of it with the original "Rocket Chemical Company" labeling on into my teenage years. About 20 years ago, they started buying up other classic household brands that were at risk of disappearing: Lava soap, 3-in-1 oil are the two that readily come to mind.

And finally, a pro-tip involving WD-40. It's pretty good at getting crayon off of painted walls. Just thought that might be handy. Of course, that leaves you with a grease spot, but some detergent and water can take that off easily.

Yup. You want to end today free and clear of minimum. You don't want to start tomorrow near minimum, ending even closer or below.
So just to make sure I’m clear (because I’m already nervous that for some reason the SWG won’t work) these are the approximate FC numbers I should expect to see considering todays FC was 8.5 around 8am and installed the new SWG at 9am:

Sundown FC - 7 (8.5 minus 3ppm lost to full sun, plus 1.5ppm from SWG running about 12 hrs at 40%)

Tomorrow morning FC - 8.5 (7ppm + 1.5ppm FC from SWG overnight)

Am I thinking about this correctly?

Sundown FC - 7 (8.5 minus 3ppm lost to full sun, plus 1.5ppm from SWG running about 12 hrs at 40%)

Tomorrow morning FC - 8.5 (7ppm + 1.5ppm FC from SWG overnight)

Am I thinking about this correctly
Brav. O.

And the magical key to the puzzle is you operated in a range that never got near minimim. You use your current daily loss from the last 2 weeks to expect similar the next two weeks. But the seasonal demand rolls like a bell curve so you are on the lookout for a need for more production the first half of the season, or less production during the back half as the daily demand slowly decreases.

For now, allow yourself some wiggle room like you did the other day. Once you are a SWG ninja you may dance the line of mimumim as close as you wish. Or you may keep the wiggle room forever because you have better things to do.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.