New pebble sheen one week old

Bluesilv

Feb 24, 2020
Southern California
This site is great. I read a lot of posts and we ended up choosing blue surf pebble sheen which was installed last week. Prior owner basically stopped caring about the pool years ago. The plaster was falling off the walls.We bought the home in September last year knowing it needed to be resurfaced. The water had crazy high chlorine levels and algae of all colors due to CYA levels being off the charts. We didn’t use it but I tried to keep it looking somewhat presentable.
I’m doing the muriatic acid dance daily to keep the levels down. Just grabbed some chlorine at Lowe’s it’s eating about a gallon per week. Not sure what to think about Kemtek Chlorine. Heard it’s hit or miss. House faces north so the pool gets sun all day. CYA is at around 80 so I’m keeping chlorine between 3-5.

I’m going to do my best to stay ahead of the water unlike the prior owner who gave up years ago. Anyway awesome site with a lot of great info. Any tips would be welcomed. Let the journey begin.

Welcome to TFP! Great to have you here :)

There's a link in my signature "TFPC for Beginners" that I found really helpful when I started out.

Check out Pool School and you'll save yourself a lot of grief in a short time!

In a nutshell, you probably need the SLAM Process for your pool, to completely annihilate the algae. That will make your pool a breeze to look after.

By the time that's done, your CYA will probably be down to 70 hopefully, maybe less. After that, you keep chlorine level per the FC/CYA Levels

If you don't already have one, get a drop based test kit, either the TF100 or Taylor K-2006
TF-100 Test Kit ™ (Tip: include the XL option because it's good value)

Why do you have CYA 80 with one week old water?

You should be following one of the PEBBLETEC startup guides...

Please create your signature with details of your pool so we can give you more specific advice.
Pool builder had a guy set up the initial chemicals last week and he dumped chlorine, acid and CYA in the pool. Now I’m maintaining the PH and chlorine levels.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You will have a FC loss of 3 - 4 ppm per day in the summer with a CYA of 50 pm or so in your area. You are near the coast and do not get anywhere near the UV impact we do in the desert.

If you install a SWCG (highly recommended), then a CYA of 70 ppm is best.

You will have a FC loss of 3 - 4 ppm per day in the summer with a CYA of 50 pm or so in your area. You are near the coast and do not get anywhere near the UV impact we do in the desert.

If you install a SWCG (highly recommended), then a CYA of 70 ppm is best.
Should I be adding chlorine every night or should I add extra to beef it up and let it burn off for a few days?

You should plan to add liquid chlorine everyday. After tracking the data you may find your pool will allow adding every other day at times.

You should plan to add liquid chlorine everyday. After tracking the data you may find your pool will allow adding every other day at times.
Awesome thank you. Just checked it and it’s

FC 10 It was down to 5 yesterday so I put in a half gallon last night.
TA 160
PH 7.6 I added a quart of 30% Acid to get it down to the 7.2 range. The TA has dropped by 40 in the last week. Hope to be in the correct range next week. Should be simple to maintain after that. I also bought a pump to exchange some water in a few weeks after the 30 days is up.

So a bit of an update. Pool looks great I’ve been adding liquid chlorine daily. TA is dropping as expected. I checked the CYA levels today and they were higher than they were a few weeks ago. I’m guessing some of the CYA was stuck in the filter and hadn’t fully dissolved yet. So I did a water exchange for 4 hours. It’s dark now so I can’t check CYA but the chlorine was at 8.5 when I started and it’s down to 6 so I just added some. I think I did about a 30% exchange so hopefully CYA will be down to okay levels now. PH was 7.4 after I added sole acid to it last night so that’s becoming more manageable.

What’s your water temp? I learned from tfp CYA test are off with cold water?
Mine is 59 so that may be a silly question for you calf folks :)
I ended up doing 5 more hours of water exchange and just checked the CYA today and it’s 60 so I should be in good shape for the Summer months. Looks like I will need about 3-4 cups of LC per night to keep it in the safe range. Home Depot will get to know me as the chlorine man haha

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.