New owner/builder build in Miami, Florida

I'm late to the party, and I see your equipment has already been delivered! If it were me, I would upgrade the heater from the 120K unit to the 140K unit. The difference in price is only a couple of hundred bucks, the COP is the same, and the heater will heat your pool faster - you can never have too big of a unit for heating (unless the COP is horrible). Bigger heater means less run time to get to temp > less time to run VS pump at high speed for the needed flow > less $$ to heat over time.
I assume the PB would be able to swap it out easily prior to installation.

Congrats on the progress!!

I thought I had already overdid it on the pool heater, the pool is roughly 16k gallons. You would recommend going to the bigger one?

Yes, I would. My pool is only 7K gallons and I have a 144K heat pump. Heats the pool in 60 - 90 minutes each morning, then I run the pump on low the rest of the day. You'll save money in pump and heater run time, and in the winter will be glad you have the extra BTU's.

In case anyone is wondering, I've been keeping track of all expenses associated with building the pool.

So far I've spent $20,495.51 and that includes:

• Pool Plans
  • Survey
  • Permit fees
  • Excavation
  • Framing supplies
  • Framing labor
  • All pool equipment (spared no expense here)
According to my estimation, I should come right around $50K for the whole project which includes turfing the rest of the backyard.

SWEET!!!

If at all possible be there for the shooting of the shell. Some times they have questions or concerns about something. It is best you are there to chat with them about it. Small things like rounded edges or pointed to "oh you wanted a beach entry??" AFTER they made a step........they were able to fix that one right away because the pool owner was home and saw what was going on.

Kim:kim:

Reactions: jorge18
SWEET!!!

If at all possible be there for the shooting of the shell. Some times they have questions or concerns about something. It is best you are there to chat with them about it. Small things like rounded edges or pointed to "oh you wanted a beach entry??" AFTER they made a step........they were able to fix that one right away because the pool owner was home and saw what was going on.

Yep, definitively will be there for the shell. I'm putting in some umbrella holders and what not and want to make sure they're put in correctly.

Reactions: kimkats
slixY7Xh.jpg

Went outside to today to take some measurements. Wanted to make sure it was going to be the size and depth that we wanted. Happy to say that it's within a couple of inches of what I wanted!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
SWEET!! Nice when the job is done right!!

Definitely. It's one of the main reasons why I decided to go owner builder on this. I wanted to work directly with the subs to get exactly what I wanted. I've heard so many horror stories of things lost in translation or misunderstandings with PBs and decided I didn't want to go through that.

The savings are nice too :)

Reactions: kimkats
So I think I've come to a conclusion that I don't like the way something was designed in the pool. I never really noticed that one of the returns was in one of the sunshelves (my mistake, I should have been a little more diligent). My question is, is this a big deal? I'm just not sure how the return there in such shallow water is going to work and then on top of that, how is the return going to work with the bubblers on. We're afraid it's going to cause some weird turbulent water there.

So two questions, does it really matter? and will it cause any issues to move it to another location? The only thing I'm worried about is having to get approval from the county for this.

You WANT a return on your shelf! It will help keep it clean and circulate the water better in that area..

You will not run the bubblers that much after a while AND they will not push stuff off the shelf as well as a return.

You are good!

You WANT a return on your shelf! It will help keep it clean and circulate the water better in that area..

You will not run the bubblers that much after a while AND they will not push stuff off the shelf as well as a return.

You are good!

Ha! never even thought of that! That makes complete sense! Now the question is, should I consider adding one to the other shelf?

Electrician came by yesterday to run the grounds for the pool and the lights. I have inspection today for electrical grounds. Today the plumber will be coming by to do the spa plumbing. Hoping he finishes today so we can inspect that tomorrow and I do shotcrete Thursday or Friday!

IMG-0033.jpg

IMG-0034.jpg

IMG-0035.jpg

IMG-0036.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.