New owner/builder build in Miami, Florida

Excavation is DONE! Took about one and a half days. Today all the materials for the framing were delivered along with all the pool equipment.

gnrZvqj.jpg

wn3oa8k.jpg

RbhLHxk.jpg

ilymc2h.jpg

wjswl2Y.jpg

g17ZcEX.jpg

9ZcItR5.jpg

KhNeQWm.jpg

Reactions: joeramirez
Jorge,

I find it interesting that you can "almost" look at a dig and tell what state the pool owner is in..

I guessed Arizona.. wrong, but not by much.. :mrgreen:

Back in the stone-age, I remember helping my dad dig a septic tank hole in Tucson.. If I remember right, that white stuff was called Caliche... Hard as rock..

Thanks for the memories,

Jim R.

Reactions: jorge18
Jorge,

I find it interesting that you can "almost" look at a dig and tell what state the pool owner is in..

I guessed Arizona.. wrong, but not by much.. :mrgreen:

Back in the stone-age, I remember helping my dad dig a septic tank hole in Tucson.. If I remember right, that white stuff was called Caliche... Hard as rock..

Thanks for the memories,

Jim R.

Yes it definitely is hard. I had to dig a trench for the drain for my outdoor kitchen and decided to do it by hand. Big mistake!

So here is your first pool job..........run out there with your plans and tape measure in hand. Is it long, wide, deep, ect enough? Add about 8" for the steel, shell, and plaster. NOW is the fix or tweak as needed/wanted.

Kim:kim:

So here is your first pool job..........run out there with your plans and tape measure in hand. Is it long, wide, deep, ect enough? Add about 8" for the steel, shell, and plaster. NOW is the fix or tweak as needed/wanted.

I thought about doing that, but shouldn't I wait until the framing is done? Wouldn't that be closer to a final look at what the pool will look like?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So here's where the framing sits as of today.

IMG_1128.JPG

IMG_1129.JPGIMG_1130.JPG

How does it look to everyone? Anything I should bring up to them?

I am missing the niche in the spa for the light that goes in there. They'll be installing that tomorrow.

I do have a couple of questions.

1. I don't see the returns being plumbed; is that done during the shotcrete?
  2. Do the umbrella holders get installed now or does that happen during shotcrete as well?

Looking close I don't see any pipes leading from anything just yet so the returns will not be there yet as there is not really anything for them to "hang onto" like the other stuff. When they come to run the pipe from the pool to the equipment they should put in the returns then. DO keep a close eye on it just in case they "forgot" LOL

Umbrella holders will be put in by hand when they shoot the shell. Make sure to be there when they come to do that work so you can make sure they DO add them. This is the most often forgotten part.

Looking close I don't see any pipes leading from anything just yet so the returns will not be there yet as there is not really anything for them to "hang onto" like the other stuff. When they come to run the pipe from the pool to the equipment they should put in the returns then. DO keep a close eye on it just in case they "forgot" LOL

Umbrella holders will be put in by hand when they shoot the shell. Make sure to be there when they come to do that work so you can make sure they DO add them. This is the most often forgotten part.

Thank you! So I should do rough plumbing as of now before concrete, right? Obviously the plumbing for the jacuzzi needs to get done before the concrete comes in. My plan was to do rough plumbing after shotcrete was done but due to the jacuzzi not being plumbed it looks like i'll need to do it previously. I was under the impression that the framing company was going to take care of the jacuzzi plumbing, but it seems like I was wrong on that front.

This is going to be a true question..............why did you think the framing company would do any of the plumping?

Yes you do need to do the plumbing now so you don't have to drill holes to get the fittings in.

This is going to be a true question..............why did you think the framing company would do any of the plumping?

Yes you do need to do the plumbing now so you don't have to drill holes to get the fittings in.

Definitely didn't think they did all the plumbing, but they do do the main drains which is part of the plumbing. Anyway, my mistake.

Thanks for the advice / answers.

I'm not crazy the way you have the plumbing work set up. It's a perfect scenario for a screw up. My opinion has it that one team does the plumbing so they know what needs to be done period. Otherwise it's you said I said...........

I'm not crazy the way you have the plumbing work set up. It's a perfect scenario for a screw up. My opinion has it that one team does the plumbing so they know what needs to be done period. Otherwise it's you said I said...........

I spoke to numerous pool framing companies and they all take care of the main drain as well as the framing. Maybe that's how it's done in South Florida? I found it weird as well, but it seemed to be normal practice.

Last edited:
I'm late to the party, and I see your equipment has already been delivered! If it were me, I would upgrade the heater from the 120K unit to the 140K unit. The difference in price is only a couple of hundred bucks, the COP is the same, and the heater will heat your pool faster - you can never have too big of a unit for heating (unless the COP is horrible). Bigger heater means less run time to get to temp > less time to run VS pump at high speed for the needed flow > less $$ to heat over time.
I assume the PB would be able to swap it out easily prior to installation.

Congrats on the progress!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.