New Northeastern Pa Build

Salt and cya have no correlation. Your cya level does not matter and does not affect anything if you have salt or not. Take your existing salt level into account and add enough to get you to 3200 PPM... However you choose to do this doesn't really matter and as I mentioned before, the salt cells operate within a wide range and they do not produce more less chlorine based on the salt level. The only thing that matters is that the salt level is somewhere within the operating range of the cell which for Pentair products is anywhere between 2800 and 4500 PPM.

This is a swimming pool that should be enjoyed not a chemistry set that you need to stress over. Dump the stuff in the pool and go swimming!

Thanks brian. I'm sorry. It's the science side of me coming out. I'm such a black and white person. I worry a lot as you can all tell. I don't mean to but it's just part of me.

Ok I'm dumped my tomorrow. Got my to 3400 and turning it on.

We are going to sand the pavers this coming saturday cause we have a few days of no rain. hopefully the weather cooperates. i'll have pics of the finished pavers then.

They measured for the mesh cover this past week too. So winterizing is coming up soon. My pool water is 69-63 right now. We are going to keep the pool up and running as long as we can to get the PH in better line hopefully.

I know I should be thinking about winterizing plan but the builder is doing it this year. I do want to tap wit him re: what chemical he adds to winterize and also if we are removing the salt cell or if it is being kept in place. I also want to ask if they clean the DE filter before closing or not. I don't know. I never owned a pool. this is new to me.

We also are going ahead and pouring the lower pad which leads to the pool house fro the steps off the pool decking. We are also going to built the bullet this fall and do the footers, frost walls and pad for the pool house. This also means conduits for all utilities into pool house through frost walls up through pad. We also have to get the stub ups for the toilet and 2 sinks dead on. Finally footings for the retaining walls we need are also going in. all grading will be finalized too. Ya a lot more work, but I'm taking the hands off approach to this part I think. I gave my buddy the pool house drawings I drew up and we will shoot the elevations and placements of utilities and then I think I'm going to let him run with it.

this way in the spring my other buddy can come in and frame, roof, wrap the building and then we can get on the brick and pavers for these 2 lower sections along with retaining walls, drainage, and finishing steps and columns. the big question is will my father and his closest friend tackle the brick totally on their own like they did for my house or is my buddy going to do it with his big brother (my dad's closest friend) and do it with them. i'm thinking the later from when we talked today. it's 10 years later since my house. my dad and his buddy are still in great shape. . . this might be their opus. lol

lots going on still. . .

jim

So nice to have the family and friends that can and will do that kind of thing with/for you!

Wait as long as you can to close the pool. The other side of 60 for the temp would be the best. Hoping the pH starts leveling outs soon.

Kim:kim:

Thanks! Building our house was interesting to say the least. At least I had no stress with working not showing or doing the job properly.

I am deff keeping it up and up and running as long as I can. Yesterday was the first day in 72 hrs I had to add acid. It was at 7.7 up from 7.4. I haven't been dropping it down to 7.2 lately cause it messes up my csi too much.

Jim

was suppose to shoot elevations tonight for the pool house but got rained out. made a few adjustments to the building again. so typical me. once that pad goes in though i'm married to it. i'll post up drawings once i get the details nailed down.

i did get a boo today re: the salt generator. it has to come out each winter. so that means I need a separate conduit just for the wire for the salt generator cause the wire doesn't come off the unit itself. stupid design. so each year i will have to unhook the wire for the easy touch panel fish it through the conduit over to the pad and take the unit out. now why would they not make the cable detachable from the unit side so the wire can stay in place. so i'll add a 2 inch conduit for easy in and out. still an unnecessary step if the unit was designed properly.

i can't put that wire in the conduit with the other pool wires going to the easy touch cause back and forth wit that wire yearly will deff be asking for trouble. so once again i will have a ton of conduits in and out of the frost walls.

2 - 2" for low volt into storage
1 - 2" for the 100 amp service to the panel into storage
1 - 2" for the pool equipment to easy touch if i decide to put the easy touch in the storage area with sub panel
1 - 2" for the salt generator cable

if the panel stays outside the pool house on the building though i still need an additional now

2 - 2" low volt into storage
1 - 2" line voltage for service for sub panel into storage
1 - 2" out of building for breakers for easy touch panel
1 - 2" over from pad to easy touch
1 - 2" over from pad just for salt generator cable

plus water in
plus gas in and possibly out. i have to work that out. since the riser is coming off main service to pool pad i don't know if i have to bring it in the building and then have shut offs for whatever i need to supply or if the manifold needs to be at the riser and off of it so outside the building.

Check on a "dummy cell". I have heard that term before so...............And I have not heard of anyone else taking theirs out. They just turn them off and use liquid chlorine during the colds months. Does not sound like a good idea to take in and out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I hear ya. Pentair said if any water is left in here and it freezes it will crack the blades. Now why doesn't Hayward say to take theirs out? They have blades? I can see if they said Causeof the electronics but the pump has electronics? You don't take that out? I actually have a dummy cell. Had it in from the beginning during plaster break in. I just don't want to do through it yearly in and out.

Here are some drawings for phase 2. Decided to get a winter jump on it. I don't have pretty drawings like so many of you guys out there. This is how my dad's buddies and mine roll. When we built they literally laughed at me when I pulled my plans out. I used to get mad, but I have learned so much from them over the years and now I understand. All you need is to surround urself with people who have great skill and people who can pull out of ur head what you expect the final project to look like and you just go with it.

I looked at my little drawing of the pool and how I wanted it to look and I said to my buddy the other night to look at the drawing. Exactly what I had in my head in real life now.

The fireplace picture is rough. but this was just a few minutes of me getting out of my head what I saw during lunch.

Untitled by Jim, on Flickr

Thanks kim. I think I underestimated the slope of all this. There is way more going on than I thought. I was just talking with the guy who will frame the building. We had a nice conversation regarding the good for the grill and green egg. It is proving to be more complicated than I thought. I should say more commercial than I expected. I figured slap a hood up there vent it and wrap it with some stone. Ya way more complicated.

Right now now I got to worry about getting the sand for the pavers done tomorrow and then concentrate on the footers and pad for the building. Biggest thing now is not missing anything that needs to come in or out of building through the pad. Cause once it's poured it poured and will be a beast to rip into and redo anything.

Jim

going to hold on the sand now till sunday. we have been getting a lot of rain the past few days. pavers are still too wet. dry out today and we should be good for tomorrow. figured I would work today a bit and then make my grandmothers cause for my family and parents tomorrow cause it's grandparents day. i do have a bunch of prep to do for the sand also but i can't do any of it till tomorrow morning i'm thinking.

got my border up to try and keep anything out of the pool. and i taped off the edges do the sand stays in since i don't have anything there yet to hold it back. we didn't use the typical edging used for radiuses cause we glued the soldiers down.

Jim just don't let that tape sit there too long. The sun will "melt" it some and it is going to be a bear to get up the goo. Don't ask me how I know :roll:

Kim:kim:

all done and the tape it off. got it right off as son as we got done! no tape stuck. i got a line from the sand but that can be scrapped and cleaned. i went over some areas with a rag to get some off already and all is good i think. i'll get some pics in a bit. came out good. i think we did good minimizing the haze. at least i hope. grooming it to finish off was the hardest. you got to really go light. my buddy did the finish grooming. i went behind him filling in pin holes. then he groomed again. i took a blower to get the dust off. worked ok i guess. don't think i would do it again like that. my buddy usually doesn't do it either. said to just live wit the haze and it will wear off. but i think it's good.

jim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.