New Members - Pool Wo'es

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all due respect, why do you need test results from a specific kit? Do you own stock in those companies?

S&C,

I can answer that... This is a teaching website and just like when you took a college class you had to buy their text book. The main reason for that is everyone needs to be on the same page. Your options were to buy the book or take another class..

The results from either the TF-100 or the Taylor- 2006C allows us both to "be on the same page".. We don't provide chemical help unless we can see valid test data from a trusted kit.

We are all volunteers here and get joy out of helping others... no one gets paid or compensated in any way. Sometimes that joy is harder to find...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: setsailsoon
One of the great things about a relatively inexpensive quality test kit, that you keep near your own pool, is that you can test any time of the day or night and as often as you need, to verify (and treat) your water chemistry.
So let's assume your test results are accurate (and precise) ..... your test results confirm your FC is exactly 2.53ppm below the minimum TFP recommends for proper sanitation at a CYA of 60.
If your pool water has been at this low level of sanitation for some time then your dirt is probably algae. You will need to take more samples to work to confirm an OCLT Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) - Trouble Free Pool and for spot testing during your slam to eradicate your algae bloom. :cheers:

Last edited:
Reactions: Kellyp
One of the great things about a relatively inexpensive quality test kit, that you keep near your own pool, is that you can test any time of the day or night and as often as you need, to verify (and treat) your water chemistry.
So let's assume your test results are accurate (and precise) ..... your test results confirm your FC is exactly 2.53ppm below the minimum TFP recommends for proper sanitation at a CYA of 60.
If your pool water has been at this low level of sanitation for some time then your dirt is probably algae. You will need to take more samples to work to confirm an OCLT and for spot testing during your slam to eradicate your algae bloom. :cheers:

Okay, you make a valid point. The pool was just opened, I did expect chlorine levels might be low after the winter. The part I'm not understanding, is how this could be a problem, only when the filter doesn't run. Maybe there isn't an off-the-cuff answer to this. But I can't understand how algea doesn't re-bloom unless the filter is running. I did type up an explanation in my most recent post, but I'm not exactly sure where it went. Maybe I made a mistake in posting. I did consider this to be algae last year( per the advice of a local pool service company), and super chlorinated the pool, and a large algea killing treatment was added. I have a photo somewhere of the package, I'll look for it. I think it was 8lbs, and the initial recommended dose was 3lbs. We did the initial treatment, and then a couple of days later, did another, and then another. Followed by algaecide for another week. There was never any change. The dirt kept coming back. The additive was specific for algea, even recommended for mustard algea, and it wasn't something we could swim in or use the pool for the better part of two weeks. There was no change. It was towards the very end of the season, so we ended up winterizing and closing the pool. The company was even baffled by this.

I'm happy to take more samples to work. There is quite a bit of down time at the moment, the guys actually enjoyed analyzing something else.

Well, if you have a multi-million dollar lab setup at work, you should understand the chemistry involved, or at least realize you should listen to people who understand the chemistry. I work in a lab myself, and although we don't have a multi-million dollar ISO-certified setup, I know that certain test kits for home use can be accurate and repeatable enough to give reliable results for pool maintenance. Considering this website has been helping many people with good results, I'd say the test kits they recommend fall in that category. Plus, they understand the chemistry they're talking about well enough.

Now, for your specific problem, it sounds pretty much what I had a few weeks ago. Vacuum the pool, a day later after circulating through the filter, settled 'stuff' in the middle of the pool. Water balance was ok, but FC might have been a bit too low at times.

When the weather got better, I decided to do a deep clean on my filter, bring up the FC to recommended levels and kept them there. Brushed walls and floor, scrubbed in all little areas, vacuumed. 48 hours later, the debris didn't come back. My pool's been clear for two weeks now, just by keeping up the FC levels and brushing once in a while. Before that, I was in the same situation as you.

So yes, TFP methods work, and taking samples to work will get old really fast. Especially during the weekend. Having a reliable little test setup at home really helps, and you can always take a sample to work for a sanity check once in a while. Keep your FC up, brush everywhere and do a SLAM if the stuff doesn't clear in a few days.

Well, if you have a multi-million dollar lab setup at work, you should understand the chemistry involved, or at least realize you should listen to people who understand the chemistry. I work in a lab myself, and although we don't have a multi-million dollar ISO-certified setup, I know that certain test kits for home use can be accurate and repeatable enough to give reliable results for pool maintenance. Considering this website has been helping many people with good results, I'd say the test kits they recommend fall in that category. Plus, they understand the chemistry they're talking about well enough.

Now, for your specific problem, it sounds pretty much what I had a few weeks ago. Vacuum the pool, a day later after circulating through the filter, settled 'stuff' in the middle of the pool. Water balance was ok, but FC might have been a bit too low at times.

When the weather got better, I decided to do a deep clean on my filter, bring up the FC to recommended levels and kept them there. Brushed walls and floor, scrubbed in all little areas, vacuumed. 48 hours later, the debris didn't come back. My pool's been clear for two weeks now, just by keeping up the FC levels and brushing once in a while. Before that, I was in the same situation as you.

So yes, TFP methods work, and taking samples to work will get old really fast. Especially during the weekend. Having a reliable little test setup at home really helps, and you can always take a sample to work for a sanity check once in a while. Keep your FC up, brush everywhere and do a SLAM if the stuff doesn't clear in a few days.

Thanks for the reply. I guess what I was trying to say was that while it's generally accepted that pool store water testing is probably about as reliable as color test strips and maybe sometimes even less so, I have access to equipment that a med device stakes their reputation and product on, and I do trust that more than a kit I can buy for home use. I felt as if I was getting slammed for not using the correct test method, and not getting any advice from the experts. I understand it's almost impossible to give advice for pools without a baseline of water conditions, I thought I posted them.

Pool stores get a bad rep, and a lot of times it's deserved. I'm a newbie when it comes to pools, I've collected samples and had both local pool stores test them, and they have been pretty close. I think last year the biggest difference was 4ppm on the hardness. Which, I didn't consider to be grave. The lab at work came in between the two on almost every value. I only did this because I was curious, because of the horror stories I've heard of.

I have no doubt the members here understand the chemistry, I never meant to question that.

I'm sure TFP methods work, and I'm trying to learn as I go here. Bringing samples to work, yes, could get old. That's a valid point, and on a Sunday, if I needed to test it, it could be a pain to drive to work.

I did add shock to the pool, which should raise the FC level. I'll definitely make it a point to scrub all around. There's an Ocean State on my way to work, I'll be sure to grab another case or 2, in-case I end up having to SLAM the pool, I'll certainly need it. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.

When you were getting settled stuff in your pool, would is "poof" when you tried to collect it? Did you ever end up sampling it? Did it look similar to my photo's above when it was out of water?

Thanks for the reply. I guess what I was trying to say was that while it's generally accepted that pool store water testing is probably about as reliable as color test strips and maybe sometimes even less so, I have access to equipment that a med device stakes their reputation and product on, and I do trust that more than a kit I can buy for home use. I felt as if I was getting slammed for not using the correct test method, and not getting any advice from the experts. I understand it's almost impossible to give advice for pools without a baseline of water conditions, I thought I posted them.

Pool stores get a bad rep, and a lot of times it's deserved. I'm a newbie when it comes to pools, I've collected samples and had both local pool stores test them, and they have been pretty close. I think last year the biggest difference was 4ppm on the hardness. Which, I didn't consider to be grave. The lab at work came in between the two on almost every value. I only did this because I was curious, because of the horror stories I've heard of.

I have no doubt the members here understand the chemistry, I never meant to question that.

I'm sure TFP methods work, and I'm trying to learn as I go here. Bringing samples to work, yes, could get old. That's a valid point, and on a Sunday, if I needed to test it, it could be a pain to drive to work.

I did add shock to the pool, which should raise the FC level. I'll definitely make it a point to scrub all around. There's an Ocean State on my way to work, I'll be sure to grab another case or 2, in-case I end up having to SLAM the pool, I'll certainly need it. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.

When you were getting settled stuff in your pool, would is "poof" when you tried to collect it? Did you ever end up sampling it? Did it look similar to my photo's above when it was out of water?

Sounds like you have two pool stores that are capable of giving reliable results at least some of the times. Of course, you don't know if all employees are equally capable, or correctly calibrate before testing.
Furthermore, going to the pool store amounts to the same thing as taking samples to work. You still have to leave home.
I don't think people here will slam you for giving test results from your work's lab, especially if you mention the source of the testing (lab vs pool store). However, should you require to SLAM your pool, you'll be asked to test your pool multiple times per day, because FC can be consumed very rapidly if you have a serious problem (reproducing algae). It's impossible to keep up that test regimen if you can't do the testing yourself, which would mean you cannot (SLA)Maintain the shock level.
That is why everyone is adamant about first having a good test kit on hand before trying to assist you in more detail.

About the stuff in my pool: I did not collect samples, but it looked exactly like the spots you see at the bottom of your pool. When cleaning my filter, there were gray slimy chunks everywhere, which are dead algea. The one picture where you show the wet samples, that looks like algae with other debris.
I have an Intex AGP, so no leaking pipes to/from the pump and filter where soil could infiltrate. It could only be tree debris carried in by the wind, or algae. Cleaning my filter and maintaining proper FC levels cleared the problem, so 99% sure it was algae. It did not notice any 'poofing', but that may depend on the vacuum and your patience. I generally go reeeeeaallly slow.

Its great that you have a multi million dollar testing lab to use. Good for you. But everyone else here has a simple $70 test kit....and clear sparkly pools. You've been fighting your pool for nearly a year. So you can keep doing it your way, or you can try the TFP way. What have you got to lose at this point? It would also be helpful if you would post your pool info, the way everyone else here has done. You never know, someone might have a better idea in seeing what your equipment is.

Sounds like you have two pool stores that are capable of giving reliable results at least some of the times. Of course, you don't know if all employees are equally capable, or correctly calibrate before testing.
Furthermore, going to the pool store amounts to the same thing as taking samples to work. You still have to leave home.
I don't think people here will slam you for giving test results from your work's lab, especially if you mention the source of the testing (lab vs pool store). However, should you require to SLAM your pool, you'll be asked to test your pool multiple times per day, because FC can be consumed very rapidly if you have a serious problem (reproducing algae). It's impossible to keep up that test regimen if you can't do the testing yourself, which would mean you cannot (SLA)Maintain the shock level.
That is why everyone is adamant about first having a good test kit on hand before trying to assist you in more detail.

About the stuff in my pool: I did not collect samples, but it looked exactly like the spots you see at the bottom of your pool. When cleaning my filter, there were gray slimy chunks everywhere, which are dead algea. The one picture where you show the wet samples, that looks like algae with other debris.
I have an Intex AGP, so no leaking pipes to/from the pump and filter where soil could infiltrate. It could only be tree debris carried in by the wind, or algae. Cleaning my filter and maintaining proper FC levels cleared the problem, so 99% sure it was algae. It did not notice any 'poofing', but that may depend on the vacuum and your patience. I generally go reeeeeaallly slow.

Thank you. That actually makes a lot of sense. Having a test kit is a good convenience if and when there are problems with the pool that require frequent testing.

Its great that you have a multi million dollar testing lab to use. Good for you. But everyone else here has a simple $70 test kit....and clear sparkly pools. You've been fighting your pool for nearly a year. So you can keep doing it your way, or you can try the TFP way. What have you got to lose at this point? It would also be helpful if you would post your pool info, the way everyone else here has done. You never know, someone might have a better idea in seeing what your equipment is.

I want to clarify, the issue started in about August, and the pool was closed mid/late September because once the heat spell was over, no one used it, so what's the point of having it open, it was just an added expense everyday. So, It's really been a three month battle.

What do you mean, try it the TFP way?
If I go buy a test kit, and I get the same test results that I posted from the lab at work the other day , how am I helping get to a solution to the problem? You asked what I have to lose, well I guess I have $100 to lose on buying the TFTest kit(adding in the ph meter because I'm sure that will be needed at some point), when I have a water chemistry analysis already.

I did post the pool info in the OP, but I can add it to the signature box for easy reference.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The TFP way. You are fighting algae. You will have to do a SLAM, which will involve a lot of testing. If you want to run to your test lab each time you need to test, thats fine, but you'll be doing a lot of road running. To complete your slam you have to do a OCLT. Testing at the end of the day, and first thing the next morning before sun is on the pool. You need to do frequent tests. All that being said, you dont have to do any of them. You can keep on doing what you're doing, and get the results you are getting. No one is twisting your arm here. All anyone here wants is for your pool to be perfectly beautiful.

The TFP way. You are fighting algae. You will have to do a SLAM, which will involve a lot of testing. If you want to run to your test lab each time you need to test, thats fine, but you'll be doing a lot of road running. To complete your slam you have to do a OCLT. Testing at the end of the day, and first thing the next morning before sun is on the pool. You need to do frequent tests. All that being said, you dont have to do any of them. You can keep on doing what you're doing, and get the results you are getting. No one is twisting your arm here. All anyone here wants is for your pool to be perfectly beautiful.

What makes you say or think I'm fighting Algea? I'm really beginning to feel like you guys know what the problem is and don't really want to share. Am I missing something? I've read through all the links that have been linked to this post, and I have to kind of extrapolate that the next course of action would be an OCLT. But nothing linked, or explained has really given me clear instructions. The only thing that's been said to me clearly, is go buy a test kit. And I'm struggling with this because I have water test data.

I have the water test data. If it's algae, why didn't you say that before? Why do I feel like I have to beg for help here?

Maybe to end something like this?

Your pool looks great. I don't understand how that helps me though. If you want the spec sheets on the equipment I use at work, I can provide them (per your first response), but you haven't offered me and guidance as to how your pool looks the way it does. So your response of "Maybe to end something like this", well, I don't know what the first step to that even is.
I mean, mines realistically never going to be as nice as yours, mines a 24' AG pool, I'll never have fancy steps and the perfect concrete around it.

Ok, this is getting a bit off track and more contentious than needed.

Your problem is a bit of mystery with no obvious cause and thus, solution. Over the years we have seen countless posters come on with what they think is a filtration problem that actually turns out to be a low level, stubborn algae problem. Some of your descriptions suggest that could be the case (where you say that it poofs away) and some of what you are experiencing suggests that it could be something else. With your own test kit, we could have you do some specific and somewhat time sensitive tests (like OCLT) to at least rule out algae as the culprit, or maybe give us a troubleshooting path to walk.

My own experience - I spent $400 at the pool store in my first month owning a pool (came with my house). Then I found this site and now manage my pool for about $25/month with the recommended test kit. I also had a similar issue to what you are describing a couple of years back and with my experience, I was certain it was a filtration issue as I was passing the OCLT. I even considered buying that scumbuster bag to prove it was filtration! Turned out it was mustard algae so following the recommendations for eradicating mustard algae solved my problem for me finally!

Seems like potential filtration issues have been evaluated to death by both you and the collective knowledge here, so we are back to speculating on algae, which is a reasonable possibility given the fact pattern. But, without your own test kit, it is going to be hard for us to walk you through that process, hence the responses you are now getting.

Ya'know.....we've not seen a signature line with pool and equipment listings, nor pics of the pool to view the location and vegetation.
How do we know you just don't have kids with muddy feet getting into this mystery pool and that's the dirt you're seeing??
Maybe your vacuum stinks? If we knew more about it we might know how well it ought to work....or not?

You're just trying to avoid doing things our way.....your call, of course, but we've all got clean pools for our efforts.....

Maddie

but you haven't offered me and guidance as to how your pool looks the way it does
This was my response a few post back
It seams to me you are reluctant to follow TFP methodology and that is fine, but dont expect to get guidance or results. Please read up on ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and get yourself a reliable Test Kits Compared. Also please fill in your signature with your pool info.
You basically have 2 problems, well maybe 3:
1. You are adamant to try and follow TFP guide lines which have been posted several times.
2. You need a test kit that is comparable and accurate as to what the rest of 230,000 members of this forum have so we can speak the same language.
3. With all the hints you have given us(no pic or pool equipment info) our best guess is ALGAE!

We are not hiding anything, everything is in plain view of the forum, you just need time to read up and digest all the great info that is here. If you have any questions or doubts, we will still be here for you, no matter what(but we only ask for you to read up and trust the info and experience).

Last edited:
"SharpAndCunning", there is no secret society here that knows for sure what your problem is, that is WHY everyone is asking for info you have STILL not provided. Having your pool info (type, equipment,location)in your signature allows people who are helping hundreds of others at the same time, the ability to refresh their knowledge at a glance instead of combing your thread to pick it out.

If it is algae, to eradicate it you will need to test your water as much as every couple of hours, do you really want to run those tests to work?

Like many, thousands, here, I spent time reading posts before I ever asked a question. I also noticed immediately that a requirement for help was to have an appropriate test kit and a filled out signature. Since EVERYONE here volunteers their help, I didn't think that was too much to ask.

Bottom line, you would like a trouble free pool, we would like that too, help us help you or alienate members by being argumentative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.