New Members - Pool Wo'es

Aug 12, 2019
North East
A sand filter will absolutely catch dirt down to about 10 microns or better. So unless your sand filter is a flower bed, the filter is not the culprit. You are getting dirt in your pool and it needs to be vacuumed. Your skimmer is not going to catch it unless it is floating.
But realistically with all new sand, I'm not filtering down to 10 microns, I'm probably around 40. At 40, I can see some dirt getting through.

The problem is, I vacuum and it comes back after running the pump/filter. Every time. If I don't run the pump/filter the pool stays clean. How can a filter or pump suck dirt in, when it's on a polyformed stand off the ground.

I've vacuumed to waste 6 times now, and the dirt keeps coming. Pool vacs aren't great, but even if I was getting 40% of the dirt and the other 60% was getting stirred up, I should have a diminishing return of debris, and I don't.

I'm close to the point of closing the pool.

Unless there is a leak in an O-Ring somewhere on the valve or fingers assembly/tube that's preventing the water from being filters, and it's just recirculating so everytime I run the filter, anything floating or suspending isn't getting filtered, but just ground up and spit back out the return.
How can I check this?

aeh0603

Apr 6, 2016
San Diego, CA
You can try putting a sock or nylon over the return to see if you catch any of this stuff coming into the pool from the filter.

Also, someone asked earlier in the thread and I don't remember seeing an answer. Have you used any flock or clarifier recently? If you have, then it's possible there is still some left in your water and the circulation from the pump is causing the flock/clarifier to attach to dirt/tree particles in your water and sink to the bottom.

Aug 12, 2019
North East
You can try putting a sock or nylon over the return to see if you catch any of this stuff coming into the pool from the filter.

Also, someone asked earlier in the thread and I don't remember seeing an answer. Have you used any flock or clarifier recently? If you have, then it's possible there is still some left in your water and the circulation from the pump is causing the flock/clarifier to attach to dirt/tree particles in your water and sink to the bottom.
I used about 3 oz of clarifier straight into the skimmer basket to try and help catch the dirty.

Last edited:

frogabog

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 16, 2010
Portland, Oregon
I feel you're onto something @Shirker. If your sand is clogged with clarifier goo, it can't filter because it's goo'd up. Imagine sand clogged with channels from clarifier goo. Like ants.

Might try a deep cleaning, or you may want to replace the sand. It's not that expensive. Deep cleaning should work however.

Aug 12, 2019
North East
I feel you're onto something @Shirker. If your sand is clogged with clarifier goo, it can't filter because it's goo'd up. Imagine sand clogged with channels from clarifier goo. Like ants.

Might try a deep cleaning, or you may want to replace the sand. It's not that expensive. Deep cleaning should work however.
The sand was brand new already.

It looks like topsoil, it almost looks like the pump/filter is causing a vacuum and pulling dirt up from the ground through a hole in the liner. But what doesn't make sense, is I'm not loosing water. But the dirt has to be coming from somewhere.

This happened before, with the "old" sand, and before I added clarifier. Happened with the new, fresh sand before I added clarifier.

It's the end of August, I'm in new England, it might just be time to close the pool.

Aug 12, 2019
North East
Well, I decided to try something new. Instead of vacuuming, I used a pool toy, the giant syringe squirt guns, to suction all the top soil out of the pool. I took probably an hour and a half, instead of 5 minutes with a pool vacuum, but then I ran the filter for 4-5 hours.

Only a small amount of this dirt came back. So I used the same syringe to suck it out of the pool again and ran the filter again. EVEN LESS!

Now we're making improvements. So I'll suction out the little remaining, and try again.

So my question, if the pool vacuum is just stirring up the dirt in the pool, why doesn't it settle out? Why does running the filter cause the debris in my pool to clump together. I have to believe it's not getting pulled through the skimmer and pulled through the filter. What about running the filter, causes it to clump together.

Running the pump and the valve on recirculate instead of on Filtration, does not accumulate the dirt. It stays clean.

frogabog

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 16, 2010
Portland, Oregon
OK, so you added clarifier, then changed out the sand, and then added clarifier again but haven't checked/changed the sand?

If clarifier gooed up your sand once, and then you added it again, why are you not looking back to the possibility of gooed up sand again? What makes you think it didn't do the same as the first time? You're describing sand on the floor that clumps up. Sounds like gooed sand to me.

Tie a sock over the return and see if you get sand in the sock. That will tell you where the sand is coming from for sure (although running on circulate without issues kinda confirms this anyway). Open the filter and see if it's gooed/channeled. Change the sand if needed, and don't use any more clarifier!

Aug 12, 2019
North East
OK, so you added clarifier, then changed out the sand, and then added clarifier again but haven't checked/changed the sand?

If clarifier gooed up your sand once, and then you added it again, why are you not looking back to the possibility of gooed up sand again? What makes you think it didn't do the same as the first time? You're describing sand on the floor that clumps up. Sounds like gooed sand to me.

Tie a sock over the return and see if you get sand in the sock. That will tell you where the sand is coming from for sure (although running on circulate without issues kinda confirms this anyway). Open the filter and see if it's gooed/channeled. Change the sand if needed, and don't use any more clarifier!
When I changed the sand it didn't look gooed up at all. There were small amounts of green stuff in the filter (I assumed algea). I cleaned everything, bleached the heck out of it (to try and kill the algea) and replaced the sand. Yes, I have added some clarifier afterwards, but it's not sand that coming out. It's dirt. I've posted a photo. Yes, there is a couple of bits of tree debris, but the rest looks like topsoil.

Attachments

Shirker

Jul 2, 2014
Athens, GA - USA
The clarifier can cause the sand to develop channels. These channels can allow the water to pass through the sand without being filtered properly. I recommend doing another sand deep clean and possibly replacing the sand again. In the future if you use a clarifier you should vacuum to waste bypassing the filter.