New Member / Owner

Thanks! All pretty much the former owners, I’d have to say. :)

I noticed that with the pump off the normal bit of sand / dead algae / unsure of what it is (photo attached) wasn’t in the pool. I haven’t cleaned out my filter at all aside from some backwashing. I probably should empty it out and inspect the standpipe and laterals for cracks and replace the sand while I’m at it.

DBD5F70D-8D1D-4689-90A4-F2E5553B3AF2.jpeg

You can replace the sand if you really want to but what I do is put the sand in my large wheelbarrow and do a very deep clean of it. Works like a charm but is wet, sweaty work so......do what works best for you!

Kim:kim:

You can replace the sand if you really want to but what I do is put the sand in my large wheelbarrow and do a very deep clean of it. Works like a charm but is wet, sweaty work so......do what works best for you!

It’s not that expensive, even for six bags. So I can probably just spring for it. :)

New tests done. FC is down to 10, not a lot of loss, but overcast day. CC still 0. pH was 7.6 but I don’t know how accurate that is with FC at 10. TA at 110.

I redid the CYA and got 40 this time in a little better light. So I’m using that as the CYA total now.

Today’s results:

==========================================
Wengert Family Pool
------------------------------------------
Build Type: Vinyl
Volume: 20000 gallons
Latest Test Result Summary:
FC: 7.5 (7 minutes ago)
CC: 0.0 (7 minutes ago)
pH: 7.4 (7 minutes ago)
TA: 100 (7 minutes ago)
CH: 120 (2 days ago)
CYA: 40 (7 minutes ago)
TEMPERATURE: 69° (7 minutes ago)
CSI: -0.63 (7 minutes ago)
Been sunny so that explains the FC drop. Still above what it should be anyway so no chems to add today. :)

Spot on levels!! SWEET!

How is the water looking now?
Very very clear and deep blue. Water level is slightly high from all the rain yesterday but I expect that to correct with evaporation. Quite a few worms and millipedes to vacuum out though. I should be able to vacuum tomorrow.

There’s a little dirt/sand/something in the corners of the deep end, at the vinyl liner seems, and at the transition from shallow to where it starts the slope. Only really shows up when the pump is running, so it’s just validating my desire to replace the standpipe and laterals.

Any idea how old the filter is? I am hoping you will not need a new spider gasket. Wait you can test it! First off make sure to always turn the handle in one direction. I do clockwise on mine. Turn off the pump. Move the handle to recirculate. Did it leak at all? Do you know where the backwash water comes out? Does water leak out of it? If not then the gasket is fine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Any idea how old the filter is? I am hoping you will not need a new spider gasket. Wait you can test it! First off make sure to always turn the handle in one direction. I do clockwise on mine. Turn off the pump. Move the handle to recirculate. Did it leak at all? Do you know where the backwash water comes out? Does water leak out of it? If not then the gasket is fine.

No, no idea how old. Gasket seems to work. Can’t see any extra leaks or water. Photo:

1FDC6433-450F-4343-96FB-59F446CD9814.jpeg

The backwash comes out the back through a clear section I can barely see through:

B29BC37A-A0B5-4087-BCF9-15BF4B6A6D62.jpeg

And then down underground (between the returns), presumably to the sewer or storm sewer:

88341091-1245-4058-9D4E-F26B08D082CC.jpeg

I did change it once a couple of times with the pump running the first night I had it, before learning not to do that. Hopefully that didn’t ruin it.

I do have a slow drip leak from the chlorinator. Took it off and found the part it screws into has really jacked up threads, like someone had cross-threaded it the whole way down. The former owners did have a new one in with their pool stuff. Seems to indicate they knew it needed replacing.

D023D411-59AA-4364-B558-D489F560236F.jpeg

Not sure if I should replace with the new one (and figure out how to make the PVC work), or just pull it out and replace with straight pipe as I may never use it again.

NICE looking water right there!!!

As for the the tablet tube you can take it out if you want. I do want to remind you though that you might want or even need to use tablets as some time in the future due to low CYA or going out of town. With you not having a swg (I don't have one either) you will need a way add chlorine to the pool. If you don't have the tube you can use a floater instead. It is up to you which way to go.

Glad you found a way to the worms out with out having go all the way with the vacuum! Less time to just grab the skimmer and get them with that!

Wengert Family Pool
Build Type: Vinyl
Volume: 20000 gallons
Latest Test Result Summary:
FC: 6.0 (15 minutes ago)
CC: 0.5 (15 minutes ago)
pH: 7.4 (15 minutes ago)
TA: 110 (15 minutes ago)
CH: 100 (15 minutes ago)
CYA: 30 (15 minutes ago)
TEMPERATURE: 69° (15 minutes ago)
CSI: -0.65 (15 minutes ago)

Looks pretty good. Was able to see the CYA up to 30 now so I am going to assume that’s what it is. Dot not visible right at the 30 mark which is as low as the K2006c reads.

I had a TON of wind today. Lots of skimming. Feels like there was almost nothing in the skimmer basket (but another toad). Maybe the toad was stopping the skimmer from collecting correctly? Lots of debris on the bottom but I fished it up and it’s just plant matter. Gonna have to vacuum tomorrow. Need to invest in a pool robot with the vegetation level I have around my pool, I think.

Reactions: Oly
Thanks - I wanted to do everything a few days to cut down on potential testing error. CYA especially since that level seems to be a core tenet of the pool care methods here. I’ll cut those out of my normal testing at this point unless there’s an issue and just do them once every month or two. :)

Reactions: Oly

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.