New Member / Owner

Hi Ice,
Great Thread, and good job on cleaning up that mess. :goodpost:

Welcome to TFP and feel free to post up any questions that come up.
Thanks! It sounds like I got lucky with a pool store that just sold me chems to adjust pH/Alk/CYA/chlorine levels. Seems like I was probably doing a lot of the advice this site gives before I got here, so I’ve been lucky!

I will admit to putting some algaecide in the pool, but it was left over from the previous owners and not bought at the store. :)

Wish I could get the heater going. Not sure what to do to correct it. What sort of place should I be calling to troubleshoot a millivolt gas heater?

Been adding 1gal of 12.5% chlorine daily. Test kit should arrive Wednesday.

I saw in another post about someone having trouble with keeping his FC levels up that someone suggested cleaning behind the light. Pulled it out and sure enough, algae on the walls behind it. Scrubbed that off, left the light off so the chlorinated water can get in.

Still noticing some clumps of algae growth on the bottom so I will stop by the store and stock up on chlorine in anticipation of needing to SLAM.

Edit: also rescued a couple of frogs or toads from the skimmer this afternoon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wobblerlorri

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
------------------------------------------
Test Results 06-11-2019 @ 06:32 PM
Free Chlorine: 11.5
Combined Chlorine: 0.0
pH: 7.4
Total Alkalinity: 110
Calcium Hardness: 120
CYA: 50
Temperature: 71°F
CSI: -0.58

Looks pretty good. However, I saw this on my pool thermometer.

1F7CA262-7348-420F-B09A-9E83B9A3F48F.jpeg

Mustard algae? Bright yellow? Smears off the plastic? Or am I wrong and this is just something else? Any way to be sure?

Test Results 06-11-2019 @ 06:32 PM
Free Chlorine: 11.5
Combined Chlorine: 0.0
pH: 7.4
Total Alkalinity: 110
Calcium Hardness: 120
CYA: 50
Temperature: 71°F
CSI: -0.58

Looks pretty good. However, I saw this on my pool thermometer.

View attachment 106127

Mustard algae? Bright yellow? Smears off the plastic? Or am I wrong and this is just something else? Any way to be sure?
Most likely oils from sunscreen and pollen. Mustard algae would ne forming on the shady side of the pool and inside the skimmer throat where it doesn't get much sun.

Note: CYA could be lower. I have no sun to use as a light. It’s all cloudy and overcast and an hour or two until sunset.

Most likely oils from sunscreen and pollen. Mustard algae would ne forming on the shady side of the pool and inside the skimmer throat where it doesn't get much sun.
No swimmers so far this year except my daughter for like 20 mins and my wife for like half an hour total. Pollen very possible. It’s a ton of vegetation around here.

image.jpg

I redid the chlorine tests as I don’t trust my ability to use a new test. This time got 10.5 for FC and 0 CC still (doesn’t turn pink when the five reagent drops are added). I had vacuumed and brushed and maybe that accounted for chlorine loss...I guess we’ll see tomorrow.

Also, I noticed my chlorine tab feeder was at max instead of off. That’s been changed. Just in case it’s leaking I turned the pump off for the night.

Did the test again this morning during pre-dawn.

FC: 12
CC: 0.5 (barely turned a tiny bit pink when 5 drops added)

Could be test error on my part, could be due to pump not being on for fear of the feeder putting more tri-clor into the pool. Either way, no loss recorded. Now I just go to maintain levels. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.