New Intex 18ft X 9ft X 52in Ultra XTR Pump/SW Upgrade?

CT-Steven

May 26, 2020
CT
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Edge-25
I am still excavating but after reading, it looks like maybe I want to upgrade the pump and add a salt water system at some point.
For the pump it comes with a 1,200gph. I looked and the next size up would be 2,100gph pump. Or should I go even larger?
The Salt Water I am looking at is CG-26667 (the smallest one). Should I be looking at the next size up for the salt water? If I add the "larger" (CG-26669) salt water is my existing pump ok or do I have to upgrade both at the same time?

TIA

Last edited:
Unbalanced Ph is a much greater risk for corrosion than adding 2700 ppm of salt to the pool. I would say the smaller swg is rated for 7k gal so it would probably be fine but if you wanted to have to run it for less time you could go with the larger 15k one. Either way they will both work with either size pump/filter. I don’t recommend a combo unit unless u get it for dirt cheap because they are not independent if one breaks. I calculated your volume @ a little over 3800 gallons. I had a 5500 gal pool on the 7k gal swg with no issues . A bigger filter is always a great investment

Reactions: Transy416
Is running a smaller pump 24/7 better than running a larger pump for less time? What is the optimal HP pump and sand filter size for the 9 x 18 x 52?

Any recommendations for a pump and filter? Hayward? Intex?

Is running a smaller pump 24/7 better than running a larger pump for less time? What is the optimal HP pump and sand filter size for the 9 x 18 x 52?

Any recommendations for a pump and filter? Hayward? Intex?

I‘m no mechanical genius, but I would think running something constantly is going to put more wear and tear on it.

Reactions: thefloatqueen
Perhaps. However, many motors are designed to run 24/7. I’m not sure whether this applies to pool pumps though, as I’m no mechanical genius either. There’s also the wear and tear associated with starting and stopping a motor (start capacitor wear and tear, damage to motor windings from heating up and cooling down, etc.). If I had to guess, I’d bet most electrical motors would last longer when run continuously.

Also generally w/ the intex the higher hp pump comes w/ the larger filter- so in that case bigger is better. In other instances more hp isn’t necessarily better - this is why people buy variable speed or 2 speed pumps so they can run most of the time on low & then on high for vacuuming or extra skimming. This is usually less expensive on the electric bill.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks. In your experience what’s the lifetime of an Intex pump vs a Hayward pump?

From what I’ve read, the amp rating of the Intex pumps isn’t bad, and depending on the size Is just a little higher than running a 2 speed pump on low speed.

I would have to imagine a hayward is more durable since intex pool products are designed to be temporary/ disposable. The price definitely refelects this.

Reactions: Transy416
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.