New House...First Pool = LOT’S of Questions!

Use the current water depth and diameter to have PoolMath calculate the current gallons, aim for 3-5ppm for the amount of chlorine to add.
You can grab a cheap liquid 3-way test at (see below), that will let you check if there is chlorine and what the PH is. The TF100 will allow you to test all the parameters, but you want to beat back the green right now.
Home Depot Walmart

I did use a test strip yesterday just to see where I was at, going from memory:

PH - 6.8-7.0
FC - 0
TA - 80
Stabilizer - 20

I looked at the pool calculator, and based on 6" short of usual water level - it looks like I will need 60oz of 12.5% liquid chlorine to get FC up to 5ppm. Looking at the CYA chart, I would need to double that to get to shock level (10ppm at 20CYA)

Reactions: splashpad
I did use a test strip yesterday just to see where I was at, going from memory:

PH - 6.8-7.0
FC - 0
TA - 80
Stabilizer - 20

I looked at the pool calculator, and based on 6" short of usual water level - it looks like I will need 60oz of 12.5% liquid chlorine to get FC up to 5ppm. Looking at the CYA chart, I would need to double that to get to shock level (10ppm at 20CYA)
Don't make any stabilizer changes based on test strip, please. Especially if the WATER temp was under 60, the fact you got a reading is good and scary, lol :)

Yeah and it wouldn't hurt to start it at that high level FC/CYA Levels, each day, until your test kit comes in ;) your CYA is possibly higher.

Oh absolutely I won't touch the stabilizer at this point (until TF-100 arrives).

The only thing I'll be doing right now is adding some Liquid Chlorine to try and get the green at least somewhat under control. And get the submersible pump going to help move things around!

Should I just go ahead and remove the winter cover now and let the sun beat down on the pool for the next week until the water rises to the correct level to get Pump/Filter going? I also have an Aquabot Pool Rover JR that I was thinking of throwing into the pool to try and get the water mixed up. Thoughts on either of these?

Reactions: splashpad
Oh absolutely I won't touch the stabilizer at this point (until TF-100 arrives).

The only thing I'll be doing right now is adding some Liquid Chlorine to try and get the green at least somewhat under control. And get the submersible pump going to help move things around!

Should I just go ahead and remove the winter cover now and let the sun beat down on the pool for the next week until the water rises to the correct level to get Pump/Filter going? I also have an Aquabot Pool Rover JR that I was thinking of throwing into the pool to try and get the water mixed up. Thoughts on either of these?
Perfect on all of that :) I wouldn't run the sump pump and robot at the same time unless you are babysitting (thinking tangled cords)
If the cover is clear of debris (it's just water), it won't hurt, the sun will speed up algae growth, but it will make it easier on you to add chlorine and brush, brush, brush!

Last edited:
Reactions: kimkats
I’ve got the downspout connected to the pool with hose at the end to catch the debris. Put 1/2 gallon of 12.5% chlorine into the pool with the submersible pump running. We’re on our way!!

It also is supposed to rain Friday, Sunday, & Monday so I should be getting quite a bit of help from the rain water! Also mostly cloudy next week and mid-50’s so I shouldn’t lose too much chlorine from the sun.

Attachments

• F524CBC4-EC55-48EA-B858-089D3EA47997.jpeg
    F524CBC4-EC55-48EA-B858-089D3EA47997.jpeg
    650.3 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am so glad I hooked up the water filter. After running my well water for about 3 hours over the last few days, the filter is bright orange. In fact it did such a good job the polyfill inside the bucket is still clean. Looks like I’ll be stocking up on those filters (the plus is my whole home filter uses the same cartridge!!)

Supposed to get 1” of rain tomorrow so the pool should be filled up to the correct level, and my TF-100 test kit delivers Monday!!

Here’s the current look at the pool & the orange filter. Threw in the thermometer and water temp is 64 degrees.

Cheers!

Attachments

• 90B6CCD6-DCD7-42F6-A048-7CAF6D2297C5.jpeg
    90B6CCD6-DCD7-42F6-A048-7CAF6D2297C5.jpeg
    332.6 KB · Views: 39
  • A103DA07-4F85-4C6F-BEC8-CD84217F8B01.jpeg
    A103DA07-4F85-4C6F-BEC8-CD84217F8B01.jpeg
    634.7 KB · Views: 39
TF-100 Test Kit arrived today. Checked the chems:

OTO - 0
PH - 7.2
FAS/DPD - 0.5-1ppm
CC - 0
CH - 300
TA - 170
CYA - 0 (brought water inside to warm up)
Water Temp - 57 degrees

That new pump is putting out some serious water!! Filter pressure at 15 to start

Going to add 1-1/3 gallons of 12.5% now to get it up to SLAM levels.

Here’s a current look:

Attachments

• 00FA9441-510E-479D-9B12-BCE8C540112D.jpeg
    00FA9441-510E-479D-9B12-BCE8C540112D.jpeg
    592 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Poop! Do this for me. Use pool math to see what it would take to get the FC to 5. Add it with the pump running on high for about 15 mins. Retest for fc and let us know what happens. I have an idea.

Just over 1/2 a bottle of 12.5% (2 quarts 5oz), will follow up with FC reading

This is the first time I’ve gotten an FC reading. After 15 min, it came back with 3. FC test and Test Strips both came back with 3. I used a strip because I was shocked I saw a reading ?

Last edited:
Okay so you can hold FC for a little bit so that is good to know.

It is time for a battle. Here are your tools for the battle against the green monster:
-chlorine and lots of it! Do your best to get and keep the FC at SLAM/shock level as seen in this chart: Chlorine / CYA Chart - Trouble Free Pool

-CYA aka stabilizer-You can buy this at Walmart or Lowes-Get the powder kind. Do NOT follow the directions on the bottle. Put it in a sock or panty hose. Hang it in front of the return off a broom handle or such. You want to add enough to get it to 20 at this time.

What you are smelling is the chlorine doing it's thing----------killing the nasty stuff!! This is a good thing for now. Once you get done with the SLAM you will not smell that again.

Now what is a SLAM??? Here is the link to it: SLAM - Shock Level and Maintain - Trouble Free Pool

There are many parts of a SLAM that are very important:
-run filter 24/7
-brush pool at least once a day-this helps get the yucky stuff up and into the water for the chlorine and filter to kill and get out of the water.
-MAINTAIN the FC level at your SLAM level for your CYA as much as possible. If there is no one home during the day just do the best you can. When you are home do a FC check every hour and add as needed to get the FC to SLAM level.

I do see your water is starting to trend to blue so that is good. It will get better and better every day. Taking a pic each day is a good idea as it shows you the progress that your eyes can't always see.

Kim:kim:

Okay so you can hold FC for a little bit so that is good to know.

It is time for a battle. Here are your tools for the battle against the green monster:
-chlorine and lots of it! Do your best to get and keep the FC at SLAM/shock level as seen in this chart: Chlorine / CYA Chart - Trouble Free Pool

-CYA aka stabilizer-You can buy this at Walmart or Lowes-Get the powder kind. Do NOT follow the directions on the bottle. Put it in a sock or panty hose. Hang it in front of the return off a broom handle or such. You want to add enough to get it to 20 at this time.

What you are smelling is the chlorine doing it's thing----------killing the nasty stuff!! This is a good thing for now. Once you get done with the SLAM you will not smell that again.

Now what is a SLAM??? Here is the link to it: SLAM - Shock Level and Maintain - Trouble Free Pool

There are many parts of a SLAM that are very important:
-run filter 24/7
-brush pool at least once a day-this helps get the yucky stuff up and into the water for the chlorine and filter to kill and get out of the water.
-MAINTAIN the FC level at your SLAM level for your CYA as much as possible. If there is no one home during the day just do the best you can. When you are home do a FC check every hour and add as needed to get the FC to SLAM level.

I do see your water is starting to trend to blue so that is good. It will get better and better every day. Taking a pic each day is a good idea as it shows you the progress that your eyes can't always see.

Kim:kim:

Thanks! It does seem like the water is turning a bit more cloudy/blue and away from the greenish color. I will be stopping at my pool store to pick up some more 12.5% liquid chlorine. Probably another 12-16 gallons. I'm sure they'll have CYA/Stabilizer there, so I'll just pick it up at the same time. Sounds like I'm in for a battle. Will post a picture when I get home from work.

So if I understand, I may need to be putting more chlorine in at the beginning than just 1-2 bottles and then watch it, and if it starts to creep below SLAM level, add more ASAP.

I almost brushed my arms off last night ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.