New House came with a neglected pool - SLAM DONE!

Re: New House came with a neglected pool - Starting SLAM 4/18/15!

If there is a bottom drain, I can't see it. I also don't see anywhere that I could switch anything. The pool is clear this morning, but went down 2ppm overnight. I got a good look at where the bulk of the junk is, so I will scoop it some more and try vacuuming on waste after that. I looked at those canister vacuums, would that be worth getting for this job?

I bought a hayward "leaf canister" a few months back, it runs in line with the vacuum hose and is connected just before the skimmer.

I can't tell you how useful this thing is even for weekly floor vacuuming.

I highly recommend using one. Otherwise the junk fills up pretty quick inside the pump basket. (mine got so full one time it literally split the basket from being clogged with so much ****)

I recommend the "W530" with the removable mesh bag.

Mickey,

You are getting so close..... I would say you would be swimming soon, but it's still a little cold.

Elkton is a beautiful area. We lived in Annapolis for almost 10 years and loved camping up your way at Elk Neck State Park

Thank you for the recommendations borjis! I will check that out!

Thanks Tim - yeah too cold yet, but soon enough! My reward will be the first time I get to jump in!
Yes, Elkton gets a bad rap, but we live in the country and it's so nice here. My SIL and MIL both live in the Annapolis/Kent Island area, it is nice there too. Elk Neck is fun and we love hiking at Turkey Point. The Bay and tributaries are great for boating too.

Re: New House came with a neglected pool - Starting SLAM Done!

The pool passed the overnight loss test last night! No loss at all! CC was at 0 I am still going to keep the FC higher, but probably closer to 12 instead of 16 like I have been until I can get the pool cleaned completely - unless something thinks I don't need to. I ordered a canister - from the looks of the bag it may work very well to get the rest of the gunk out. The leaf rake can hold it, so I think the mesh bag will do the same. I look forward to it being all clean, but it is so nice to have it all good now! Thank you everyone for your help and support! Now it's time to check out the damage.

How do you know if it needs resurfaced over repainted? We will leave it for this season, will that cause any damage over the long term?

Starting:

From this morning:

Looking good! TFP does not recommend painting pools. Longterm it costs more, needs to be replaced more often and is lots of work. Plaster, quartz or pebble is the way to go.

Woohoo! Way to stick with it. Water looks great!

If you've still got quite a bit of sediment/dirt on the bottom, keep the FC a little high, no need to keep it at shock levels though until you've scrubbed the whole works.

You can see that it's not a perfect pool but your water sure is and you should be proud of you pool!

Thank you! I will start researching those options and start saving! LOL

Ok, I will keep it a little higher than the target for my CYA then. I will run a full set of tests this afternoon. How long should I be running the filter at this point? Does it need to be on 24/7 anymore?

I'm glad we will be able to swim in it this season. We are used to lakes and the bay so, this water is way cleaner and the surface is nicer than a bunch of stones or mud.

Is getting the work done something that I need to make happen by next season, or can we wait a season or 2?

Theoretically, as far as I know, as long as it is holding water it can wait. Let's see what others say.

No need to run filter 24x7. Just a couple hours in AM and a couple in PM should cover it. Increase if you notice the pool isn't as clean as you like.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK, thank you. The pool guy who did the quote said it was cosmetic, but he didn't see it with clear water.

I ran a new set of tests, what will my next steps be?

FC: 14
CC: .5
CH: 75
TA: 70
PH: 7.2
CYA: Cloudy at 20, almost can't see the dot.
I added more CYA on Saturday, is it too soon for that test to be accurate?

You need to wait a week after the CYA dissolves to test it again.

Looks like all you need to do now is let the FC drift down some and you should probably add some CH as yours is very low and certainly not helping the pool surface ... at least what is left of it ;)

The water in the pool was a very blue color today, I've never seen it that color before. We do have copper pipes in our house, could that be what caused it? I added some Metal Magic type stuff before the slam, recommended by Swampwoman, should I add more?

I added the rest of the metal stuff and it didn't change the color. I also added some CH increaser and Borax since both CH and PH were low and the color is the same - so I'm guessing we will have pretty blue/turquoise pool water. My CYA is still low at around 20, CH went down a little to 125 and my PH is 7.2. Waiting for the hose attachment for the canister so I can use it with the manual vacuum and see about getting what's left out. There are some broken tiles in the bottom too.

There are 2 drains, is that common?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.