New Home Owner/Pool Dilemma.

you either put bromine or chlorine pucks in there. I would open it up and make sure its empty then reinstall it and leave it alone. you don't need/want to add bromine to your pool

to test for FC and CC, we use the info in post #4 in the link you provided. You add a full scoop of the powder (870), swirl and it will turn pink. then add drops of 871 and count.

I would just go with the instructions included with the test kit, its pretty straightforward....and laminated :)

That's what i did. I put in a chlorine puck yesterday.

Any idea about a good DE powder? Or they are all the same and buy whichever is cheaper. I i think i have to clean the DE filter again.

- - - Updated - - -

And one more question, probably my lamest one yet! Is there any disinfectant available for the pool? Or the chlorine takes care of it?

It HAS to be DE for pools. NOT garden or food DE. Pool DE only.

NO Lame questions only questions not asked.................Chlorine is the best disinfectant for anything. It can and will kill any bad things. It is the one and only disinfectant TFP uses in their pools.

Kim

That's what i did. I put in a chlorine puck yesterday.

Any idea about a good DE powder? Or they are all the same and buy whichever is cheaper. I i think i have to clean the DE filter again.

- - - Updated - - -

And one more question, probably my lamest one yet! Is there any disinfectant available for the pool? Or the chlorine takes care of it?

Are you going to be using pucks as a main sanitizer or are you getting ready for a trip?

[emoji176] Lisa P.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was advised in the earlier pages to only use bleach. Nothing else. So i will stick with it.

The only thing that got me curious was that i was planning to order some DE powder from Leslie Pool. I saw sooo many liquids like conditioner, algea control and other stuff. So i thought i might throw some of them in with the order. If you guys say if any of those are needed though!!! Waiting for the sun to go down a little today to get all the tests done!

There is really nothing you need or should buy from a pool store unless you cannot find it at your local Walmart or Lowes.

Conditioner=CYA=Walmart

Algae control=bleach/chlorine=Walmart (or the pool store if they have liquid chlorine)

I got my DE from my Lowes. Just make sure you get only POOL DE. Not food or garden DE.

If there is something you really feel the need to get let me know and I will tell you why not to buy it LOL

Here is a link you might like.

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Kim

I checked my local Lowes. They only have garden DE. I think pool supply store online is the best option for me. $31 for 25 lbs seems like a good option. Plus free shipping. I saw conditioners in my local Walmart. Thanks for the link. I would get the stuff as and when needed.

Ah prime! I think of subscribing to it. But i dont have it. Leslie pool does free delivery. So its no biggie!

Okay. Did my tests. Here are results. Dont think they are bad. But hey i dont what's good either!
FC - 8.5
CC - 1
Total Alkalinity - 11
Calcium - 500
CYA - 70.

The CC seems low!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You want the CC to be low. It is the used up chlorine. It is the bad stuff.

Where is your PH? If your TA is really 11 it is way too low.

Your CYA is kind of high unless you are doing a SWG.

I am going to shoot you a link I want you to print out and put with your test kit.

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Here is a link to help you know how to and what to use to adjust each level.

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Let me know if you have any questions after you read these.

Kim

Dang!! I forgot to multiply TA with 10, i just put in the drops i needed.

From the looks of that chart, my FC is high and also CC. I would have to do the test again. I just don't trust my hands as i am fairly new to this. CC definitely i would have to test. As i was going in two drop increments, and in the 2nd drop it changed color. So would have to see if it did in the first drop.

There was a pool company who was paid by the previous owners to take care of the chemicals.

pH i did a long time ago. it was something around 8.2-7.8, in that box like thing. I just could not make up my mind on what color is was more close too. I will try it out today.

So now i have to -

FC - Check again.
CC - Check again.
pH - Check
TA 70-90+
CH - Lower
CYA Lower (I will run the test again though).

To lower pH you need Muriatic acid. To lower CH, you need to replace water in your pool with water that is lower in CH. or mange your high CH by maintaining pH religiously below 7.8 (or maybe below 7.6) otherwise you are likely to experience cloudiness and/or scale on your tile from the calcium precipitating at some point.

The water almost always turns to pink and even darker when left in the tube after the chlorine test. I've had it turn a dark purple almost black. (left it on the bathroom counter accidentally... Oops)
No, it doesn't count. :p if it didn't turn pink when you first put the powder in then you are correct saying you have no chlorine. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.