New Home Owner/Pool Dilemma.

When and where did you test your CYA? That test needs to be done in bright sunlight with your back to the sun, test tube waist level.

I did it in the evening. Well it was still pretty bright outside when i did my test. And also this is my second test. And the reading was the same.

I looked at those links, the only thing is, how i drop CYA. The only aspect in that section given was increase CYA but no comment on reduction! :(

I did calculate how much bleach i need. I have to go out and get the muriatic acid.

I went through all the links and especially the pool math section.

Is knowing the borate level important? Without that I cant calculate the amount of baking soda i would need.

So for now it comes out to be 11 lts of bleach to get the FC up to 10 which is recommended for CYA of 90. 1.1 lts of muriatic acid.

But I am stumped with borax and baking soda. I don't know the level of borate in my pool.

1. Is that important to know the level of borate?
2. Should i just take care of the FC and pH for now and take care of the CYA, borate, TA later?

That is a pretty funky tool! :)

The only way to reduce CYA is draining water from the pool or running it through reverse osmosis ($$).

- - - Updated - - -

Muriatic acid is for lowering pH. Borax/Baking Soda is for raising pH/TA. You only need to do one at a time depending on where your pH is.

Just a curious question, since Texas has been especially hot this summer, with the water evaporating all the time. Will that gradually reduce the CYA? Coz of adding fresh water almost every week?

evaporation and refill will not affect your CYA. your CYA isn't evaporating, the same amount stays in the pool. just like salt.

splashing out water and refilling and overflows from rain will dilute it.

evaporation and refill will not affect your CYA. your CYA isn't evaporating, the same amount stays in the pool. just like salt.

splashing out water and refilling and overflows from rain will dilute it.

Ah... Now why did i post that?? I guess i nominated myself for the dumbest science question ever! :D

borate are no big deal. don't even worry about them right now.

Now is the time to bring down your CYA by draining some water. You can leave it there BUT it will take a LOT more bleach to keep your FC up.

Kim

The calculator said to release 56% water. With stage 3 water restrictions here, i might get a fine for it. But i will check around for info on this. But today, I will work on the pH and FC for sure.

I am sure the chlorine pucks are to blame for the high CYA!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok.. added the bleach. Bleach fell 2oz short! :(

Added acid to reduce pH to 7.2. I have to get the TA down by 20. Trying to aerate method to get the TA up! Lets see!

How long do i have to wait to do the FC/CC/pH tests? The filter is running.

One more bad news is the pool has started taking up a greenish tinge, (i think), at least the water looks murkier! :cry:

Do not bother testing your PH when your FC is 10 or over. It will not test right.

If your water is trying to green up I think your hand is being pushed to a drain. Have you had time to check about the fines or such?

Kim

You can test the FC/CC when ever you want. I would push your PC up to try to get ahead of the green until you can drain. You do not want to have to really fight algae in the water that is left from the drain.

Kim

Ah its alright. False alarm i guess. It was just yesterday's weather and clouds. The looks bright and clean today in when the sun is out. But i will keep an eye out for it. I checked some other forums, there is no issues clearing the water from the pools. I should be good to go.

Backwashing into the sewer system is allowed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.