New home/new pool...need guidance on SLAMing

Tautochrone1984

May 29, 2020
Massachusetts
Hello all,

New to this website but loving it so far

Purchased a home over the winter and trying to get the pool up and running. I have no idea how well the previous owner cared for the pool.

Took the cover off (specs in signature) to a dark green swamp with a healthy pile of leaves at the bottom. Stuck a measuring tape in and lost sight at the 6-inch mark...it was bad.

In hindsight I probably should have just drained ajd refilled but whats done is done. After a week, 90% of the leaves are out and the water is a cloudy blue but I can see the outline of the bottom (and a small bit of leaves hiding out in the center)

Test results:
FC = 20
CC = 0
pH = less than 7.0, but color is very close so im guessing 6.8ish
TA = 20
CH = 70
CYA = 40

My two main questions are 1) Should I work on fixing pH and TA now or after slamming is complete? 2) other than continuing to slam and scooping out the big stuff and vacuuming debris is there anything else I should be doing?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forum!
Stop adding chlorine and address the pH and TA. The pH test is invalid at your level FC but actually should be reading high, so that is not good.
Add 40 ppm TA worth of baking soda now. That is 5 lbs. Let that mix in and test TA. If 60 or above, all is good. Let FC come down to below 10 ppm (should be by later today or tomorrow) and test pH. Adjust back to 7.2 or so.
Then restart SLAM Process. With a CYA of 40, your SLAM FC is 16 ppm, no reason nor do you want to go above that. Maintain that level several times per day.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

You wouldn't have been able to drain all the water out anyway, or the liner could have shifted and made a bad situation worse, so don't beat yourself up over coulda shoulda.

Raise TA as Marty said. While waiting for it to dissolve and mix and possibly raise pH, You can still be brushing, which helps with the Baking Soda, and vacuuming what you can, but not to waste, just to filter. The less organic debris, the more the bleach can concentrate on algae. Otherwise it will try to oxidize the leaves.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.