I'm SLAMing and desperately need guidance

Reset the breaker and see if the pump motor failed.
Pump started but I saw a lot of DE in pump filter basket.
Rotate the impeller and see if the motor is locked up.
Could this had been caused by overload of leaves in secondary skimmer?

Or lightning? A fire alarm was tripped in one of the preschool buildings. Its control panel is in the other preschool bldg , and it's unresponsive...

Can this be real? Am I truly done?
I'm currently fighting what looks like a losing battle with maple leaves...
Thank you!
Looks like you have a grip! I would keep your FC at the high end of the range (5-6) until you get to know your pool better. Congrats!

The stuff you called "mold" looks like cellulose filter media that someone must have added either with or instead of DE.

Reactions: Ignoramus

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Try putting some in a drain cleaner product like Drano to see if it dissolves.

Organics like hair etc. will dissolve in Drano, but fiberglass should not dissolve.

Also, that much stuff should not be getting past a pump basket unless there is a problem with the basket.

All I can hope for at the moment is a kiddo microscope. But now I really want SEM for home.

Actually, as I was leaving today, I saw that portable building nearby had a big branch crash through the roof (now repaired on the outside, but not yet inside). Insulation between roof and ceiling looks orangish. So I put a piece of it next to my sample from the filter grid in case I get my paws on a good microscope.

Outside filter enclosure does look crummy, but inside it's nice and smooth. Is there another sign of deterioration?

I didn't see any fine fiber in pump basket. The mesh in pump basket is similar to skimmer strainer baskets. So it won't catch fuzz.

Could it be leaves mulched/shredded into fine cellulose fibers by the pump (having gone through the impeller-diffuser mill few times)? I ran pump in recirculate mode a lot lately when I was deep cleaning filter (TSP, muriatic acid) before Christmas holidays.

The idea of drano test is awesome; I'll get some Drano. And report.

I have all sorts of trees right above the pool: pines, sweet gums, and oaks.

I have built skimmer guard - milk crates wrapped by door screen mesh (polypropylene). Should I make the same for main drains?

I'm leery of skimmer socks after I've tried to load DE through skimmer sock in an attempt to get somewhat clean water with DE. 😬🤣

Hair nets work well in skimmers, especially for tiny pellets of sweet gum seeds. But I couldn't figure out how to put a sock or hair net in pump basket. It has challenging shape. Screenshot_20230104-234644_Chrome.jpg

I have to say that a wad of fiberglass in one of skimmer intake lines would explain erratic behaviour of those lines - in the beginning (October), I couldn't blast water jet into either of the skimmers from intake-switching Jandy valve right before the pump, and could only push water from the skimmer to the pump. Later, when it seemed that skimmers were blocked, I had easier time pushing water to skimmer from Jandy than in reverse. And the flow rate from skimmers alone is less than main drains alone.
And the suction in skimmer vacuum is abysmally weak, no matter which skimmer I use. This was one of things on my ToDo list after i got rid of algae.

Dog hair? Golden Retriever, Golden Lab?
Dunno. I was a tad worried about finding bodies in that swamp, but all those gallons of chlorine I've dumped into that pool must have dissolved whatever bodies was in there, except for this fuzz?

Thank you all very much! I greatly appreciate it all!
Ig

Reactions: Newdude
Report on Drano experiment
Drano broke down the fibers from my filter; the mystery stuff is organic. Also, the breakdown began quickly, so I assume it's not a Golden fur. 😉

Report on my SLAM status
The SLAM is done; the algae are mostly likely gone. YESSSS!
THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!!!

But I think I have circulation problem: I've added 3q of chlorine to reach FC=6ppm yesterday morning. We skimmed, we brushed, but i didn't see 6ppm until now. Should I begin new thread to ask folks about it and other problems?

Screenshot_20230106-093714.jpg

Should I begin new thread to ask folks about it and other problems?
No, keep it in the same thread for continuity.
Drano broke down the fibers from my filter; the mystery stuff is organic. Also, the breakdown began quickly,
Ok, it does not look organic, but the test seems to indicate that it is organic.

I have no idea what it could be or how it is getting past the pump basket.

Also, the breakdown began quickly, so I assume it's not a Golden fur. 😉
Golden fur doesn't break down. It teleports to your favorite hoodie.
Should I begin new thread to ask folks about it and other problems?
+1 with James. If it's remotely on topic here, keep it in one place.

Golden fur doesn't break down. It teleports to your favorite hoodie.
Your dog is a sniper. Mine just sent their fur everywhere, including my computer keyboard at work
+1 with James. If it's remotely on topic here, keep it in one place.
And my pool odyssey will be in one place.
No, keep it in the same thread for continuity.
👍
Ok, it does not look organic, but the test seems to indicate that it is organic.
It does look verrrry much like fiberglass... I will keep the sample for the future access to a good microscope.
I have no idea what it could be or how it is getting past the pump basket.
Dad suggested that the pump might be shredding bits of leaves and needles that make it past the basket. Or it could be fuzz from flying seeds, similar to dandelion. It seems that in any case I need to open and check the pump to make sure it's clean: the system isn't working well.

PROBLEMS
1. Pump flow lately only reaches 70-80 gpm instead of 100 gpm, and filter pressure is only 10 psi.

2. Suction for manual vacuuming is weak. For this, I switch pump input to skimmers only. I plug secondary skimmer with vacuum plate and I cover its inlet with PVC cap. Primary skimmer gets hairnet in basket and vacuum plate on top of it. I connect vacuum hose after I fill it with water. In this configuration the pump/vacuum struggles with sweet gum leaves. Note: primary skimmer has a check valve installed and I have no idea where that pipe connects: the pool has only 2 drain grates.

3. I bought float valve for primary skimmer but haven't installed it yet because I couldn't remove check valve and because I couldn't figure out where the skimmer will revert to. Should I try some food coloring and inject it into under check valve?
3a. Is there a writeup on 2 skimmer troubleshooting?

4. Is there a writeup on how to troubleshoot main drains? I think one isn't getting much suction. This is situation this morning (pump has been running since 8 pm when I took the picture). I've added a picture of the drains without leaves. 20230109_100625-COLLAGE.jpg

THANK YOU!
Yours gratefully,
Ig

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.