2+ weeks SLAMing and seems like little progress... getting frustrated

paulhb907

Jun 21, 2023
Annapolis, MD
I posted 10 days ago looking for reassurance that I'm on the right track with my algae problem, but despite keeping FC at SLAM level, brushing/vacuuming constantly and cleaning the filters at least once a day it seems like 2 steps forward, 1.5 steps back.

I bought a second set of cartridge filters to help with the constant cleaning, and added skimmer socks to help ease the load. Yesterday I could start to see the bottom of the shallow end, but after a ton of brushing yesterday, and brand new filters running full speed overnight, this morning the pool doesn't look any better than it did a week ago.

1) The filter cartridges seem to be filling up after only ~6 hours, and the skimmer socks even quicker. Is that normal, 2 weeks in, to need to clean the filters 2+ times a day?

2) I haven't done an official OCLT yet but last night the FC was at 12.5, then I added a gallon of 10% liquid chlorine. This morning (after sunrise but before any direct sunlight) the FC was back to 12.5... does that mean there is still live algae somewhere?

3) If there is still hidden algae, where could it be? There are no ladders or anything external in the pool, and I have scrubbed every drain, valve, etc. I'm aware of. I of course still can't see the bottom of the deep end but I'm sure I've gotten 95% of any leaves/detritus down there- nothing comes up when I scoop or brush.

Basically, is this mostly a case of just a ton of dead algae that needs to be continually filtered, or am I missing something? And if it's the former, any reassurance from anyone with a similar experience on how much longer it might be?

Thank for everyone's help.

Last edited:
Most recent numbers:

FC: 12.5
CC: 0.5 (this has been consistent for ~5 days)
PH: 7.2
CYA: This is another whole thing, I've been having issues with tracking this exactly- could be user error with the test kit, although I've followed instructions I've found here. It got very low (maybe 0, I can't tell if it's less than 30 on the kit) so a few days ago I started adding ~4 lbs of stabilizer through the sock method. It seemed to work, and yesterday I thought it read at not quite 30, but close... today it seems like it's back down low again. Water level has stayed the same.

1) The filter cartridges seem to be filling up after only ~6 hours, and the skimmer socks even quicker. Is that normal, 2 weeks in, to need to clean the filters 2+ times a day?
Since you cannot see the bottom of pool, there is a significant amount of algae. Did you clean behind the light fixture in the pool? Also clean the skimmer mouth real good.

2) I haven't done an official OCLT yet but last night the FC was at 12.5, then I added a gallon of 10% liquid chlorine. This morning (after sunrise but before any direct sunlight) the FC was back to 12.5... does that mean there is still live algae somewhere?
As above, you loss whatever amount of PPM you added with that 1 gallon of 10% LC. Are you able to vacuum to a waste line?

Basically, is this mostly a case of just a ton of dead algae that needs to be continually filtered, or am I missing something? And if it's the former, any reassurance from anyone with a similar experience on how much longer it might be?
You mentioned you increased CYA so ensure your FC remains at the SLAM level. 12ppm for CYA 30 and and 16ppm for CYA 40. Test every 3-4 hrs to keep the FC level up.

CYA: This is another whole thing, I've been having issues with tracking this exactly- could be user error with the test kit, although I've followed instructions I've found here. It got very low (maybe 0, I can't tell if it's less than 30 on the kit) so a few days ago I started adding ~4 lbs of stabilizer through the sock method. It seemed to work, and yesterday I thought it read at not quite 30, but close... today it seems like it's back down low again. Water level has stayed the same.
CYA does not disappear except if you drain. However, it may take 36 hrs or more to fully register on your CYA test. Is your pump running 24/7? Especially if you are changing out your cartridge filter. CYA will get trapped there and slowly dissolve but if you remove the cartridge filter and wash it, you are washing away some CYA that you added.

My first SLAM took 3+ weeks. Filtering is the hardest part cause it seems to take forever.

Do you have a robot with very fine filtering capability? If so running it will help.

Reactions: paulhb907
Since you cannot see the bottom of pool, there is a significant amount of algae. Did you clean behind the light fixture in the pool? Also clean the skimmer mouth real good.

As above, you loss whatever amount of PPM you added with that 1 gallon of 10% LC. Are you able to vacuum to a waste line?

You mentioned you increased CYA so ensure your FC remains at the SLAM level. 12ppm for CYA 30 and and 16ppm for CYA 40. Test every 3-4 hrs to keep the FC level up.
Thanks @HermanTX.

-When you say I can't see the bottom do to a significant amount of algae, do you mean dead or alive?

-I don't think we have a light fixture. Here are pictures from last year when it was clear where you can see what is below the water level:
IMG-5424.jpgIMG-5425.jpg

-I'll check and clean the skimmer weirs.

-I have a cartridge filter so I'm not sure if I can vacuum to waste? There is just one drain plug at the bottom of the Hayward filter.

-Noted on the CYA... I'm sure I've lost some cleaning the filters.

Last edited:
My first SLAM took 3+ weeks. Filtering is the hardest part cause it seems to take forever.

Do you have a robot with very fine filtering capability? If so running it will help.
Thanks! I'm hoping it's just a matter of cleaning the filters constantly...

We have a Polaris 280 but it's not working. Pool store "fixed it" at the start of the season but the wheels won't turn. I haven't had time to try to take it apart yet.

Try this late tonight: Bring the FC back to slam level, let it circulate for about a half hour then shut the pump off. Let everything settle overnight then slowly vacuum in the morning. You’ll have to vacuum blind but that’s ok. It will clog up your filter quick too but that’s ok, just stop, swap and go back to vacuuming. When you clog up again, clean them, bump the FC back up and go back to filtering. Make sure you hose out the filter each time you swap cartridges. And +1 on checking the skimmer weirs. Look under the foam on the door. How about the handrail?

Try this late tonight: Bring the FC back to slam level, let it circulate for about a half hour then shut the pump off. Let everything settle overnight then slowly vacuum in the morning. You’ll have to vacuum blind but that’s ok. It will clog up your filter quick too but that’s ok, just stop, swap and go back to vacuuming. When you clog up again, clean them, bump the FC back up and go back to filtering. Make sure you hose out the filter each time you swap cartridges. And +1 on checking the skimmer weirs. Look under the foam on the door. How about the handrail?
Thanks @Kaylee34, that seems like a great idea. What type of vacuuming do you suggest?

The handrail doesn't touch the water but I've still been brushing it... I'll hit it with bleach.

I looked very closely at the skimmer weirs... they seem fine, but it looks like there's some algae on some sealant foam around the gasket? It didn't come off easily when I scratched at it... any suggestions there?

Can you manually vacuum? If so, do that. You’ll have to vacuum to the filter but there’s no real difference in that or just running the filter. Vacuuming will just get it quicker.

Foam sealant. Try spraying a little LC directly on there. If you don’t have a sprayer, use a rag and just wipe it on. Rinse off afterward. Be especially careful of anything you don’t want to get bleached.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When you say I can't see the bottom do to a significant amount of algae, do you mean dead or alive?
Doesn’t really matter in that you have to remove it. You are right that most cartridge filter hook ups do not have a waste line. But I have seen some with a Tee before the filter so was just asking.

I see the 2 ladders but not sure if those are now removed. Spraying your weir door and around the skimmer mouth as @Kaylee34 stated.
Just keep the FC up, clean the filter as required and brush.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.