Jun 19, 2022
Water Mill, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Ok, I'm sort of lost. A lot of chem talk. A whole lot of good information to absorb. I'm posting some new guy thoughts and a few questions that perhaps should be different threads? I will start a SWG thread regarding one such question. If I am doing something procedurally wrong, please let me know.

It seems from reading some of the threads and posts, I have been lucky to have what little success I did have. I have been throwing money away using chemicals I don't need and perhaps stressing my equipment. I wouold appreciate any ideas or comments.

So, so far I gleaned the following:
  1. Test kit- I'm going to order the recommended test kit, upping my game and buying the big boy kit, having used the little paper things for 15 years it seems past due.
  2. Test often and always
  3. Use liquid chlorine and not tabs
  4. I should NOT ignore my CYA.
  5. Perhaps switch to salt ( that might be my own obsession)
  6. Keep reading the threads
My CYA is always very low as are my ph and alkalinity. I use soda ash on occasion and always find I'm adding baking soda (from BJ's)

• Love
Reactions: Newdude
Hey Bruce! Welcome to TFP. You don't sound lost at all. You're right here!! 1-6 are all good. Get your kit, run a full suite of tests, and post the results here. We'll go from there...

Post them like this, as they are easy for everyone to read:

FC: xx
CC: xx
pH: xx
TA: xx
CH: xx
CYA: xx

While you're waiting for your kit, go ahead and fill in your signature. We need that info to offer the best advice. Something like my signature is ideal.

Hey Bruce and Welcome !!!

You got yourself one solid plan there. Great job processing the onslaught of info so far. It a bunch to process at first.

For bleach you do not want household bleach or chlorox (conveniently in 3packs at BJs). They all have chloromax technologies, scents or splashless that will cause foaming/cloudiness with repeated use. You want chlorinating liquid that is 10% (4% more than household bleach) and sold at HD / Lowes / Walmart in the pool section.

Getting the kit will likely open your eyes a bit to what's going on, and stopping tabs will stop all the acid (CYA) you were adding that dropped your Ph. We will help you adjust to the new plan. :) If you go SWG (hands down amazing) we will help you adjust to that as well.

What kinda rescue are you doing at the ocean ? Is something specific washing up or are you just helping any animal that gets stranded?

My CYA is always very low as are my ph and alkalinity.
Bruce,

Our goal is to teach you how to test the various chemicals in your pool and know what to do when one of them is not right.

If you have been using tablets and your CYA is not out of sight high, then there is no reason to change what you are doing. If it is working, don't screw with it.

Just keep an eye on things by routinely testing.

The question is... are your reading what you think they are, or are they wrong because you only use guess strips.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks all...... today tabs gone/ algae back..Crud!
Ordering Taylor K-2006 from amazon....
Buying gallons next trip to Lowes.

Ocean Rescue is a volunteer ( similar and attached to 911) first responder unit. Members are cert. ocean life guards distance open water swimmers on call 24/7, for way too many miles of unwatched beaches full of yahoos who are clueless about what the ocean is about. Amazing how many folks who can't swim ( or can't swim well) will dive into the surf and get in trouble.
At 65 I'm not sure if my knees will let me pass the next test. But for now...

• Love
Reactions: Dirk and Newdude
algae back..Crud!
Get some liquid chlorine in the pool while you wait for the kit. Once you fill in your signature, we can tell you how much to use. (Without a signature, we don't know what kind of pool you have or how big it is.)

As 'dude points out, this can all be a little daunting at first. But here's something to look forward to. You wrote that the algae is "back," implying this is a regular thing. Most pool owners think algae is just something that happens once or twice a year, or more, and then you just pour in a bunch of pool store gunk to take care of it. Since learning and practicing what is taught here at TFP, which was almost five years ago, my pool hasn't had any algae outbreaks. And there's nothing special about what I'm doing or my pool, that's something that just about everybody that uses the TFP methods can say. You'll be saying it, too! Hello TFP, bye bye algae.

Reactions: maxBR and Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.