New guy needs help

OK ----------
Your CSI is not in the aggressive region because of your TA and pH. Maintain a CSI of greater than -0.6 by not lowering your pH any more than to 7.8 when, and if, it reaches 8.

As the water warms, your CSI will naturally become more positive. So as your TA falls by adding acid to maintain your pH at 7.8, your CSI will be OK. Over summer, your evaporation will mean you are adding high CH fill water and thus, your CH in the pool water will rise. I suspect, by July, your CH will easily be 300 ppm.

Reactions: kimkats
Thanks guys. Water chemistry is a big deal for me. I have a special 6 year old that skin doesn’t fair so well in the HOA or water park chlorine pools, but he seems to do well in the grandparents SWG pool. I got to get, and keep this water right, I can’t handle him watching from the sidelines.

Most likely pH will be the chemistry value most important for skin issues. So if you see any reaction, be sure to check that. Your child may need the pH were it is or lower, every person is different.

might want to consider adding Borates in a couple months when you are comfortable with all numbers............... I did last year in my new pool and it feels great.

An expert may comment on skin condition and borates.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks fine to me. I would work on getting CYA up some. I would not touch the TA.

Last edited:
Your last CYA was in March and if you’ve gotten as much rain as we have down here that could’ve made it drift down some. I had some trouble with CYA testing in the beginning but found this pic that might help:

Quick question, I have been working on dialing in my chemistry. Starting with my low CYA numbers. Added 2 lbs of dry last weekend. I just read that CYA reading can be inaccurate in water temps below 70. Is this true?

(my Poolmath logs are linked to my profile, that's a cool little feature I just learned!)

I just read that CYA reading can be inaccurate in water temps below 70. Is this true?
For the testing itself - yes. When the water is still chilly, it's best to bring that sample indoors for about 30 minutes to warm up a bit, then go back out and do the test.

Looking at your PoolMath logs (we can click on your Member Name and see your Logs) you are down 50 ppm CH. Are you using the 10 ml sample for testing? If so, there is error and thus you could be down just a touch on calcium because of any overflow from rain, but not much.
What is your fill water CH? You will soon have evaporation and have to add fill water.

I do not understand how your fill water CH can be higher than your pool water? Did you fill the pool from a different source?

Follow CH test directions

Do you have a SpeedStir? It really helps when doing higher level CH testing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.