New Gunite Pool - Carroll County MD - PICTURES

Well, the update isn't a good one. Let's just say the pool isn't finished and my PB is in a world of financial trouble..... I can't explain in detail as I don't want to jeopardize the small chance I have that my pool will be finished (otherwise I am out thousands of dollars and heading to court with a bunch of other folks)..... I should know more today and my fingers are crossed that they will be able to finish but to say I am stressed, nervous, disappointed, etc. is an understatement. Part of me wishes I never went on this journey.....

I do have a question though, the mouth to my skimmer is tiled and the mortar is all cracked. Is this something I should be concerned with (i.e. spot for water to leak)?

Also, the is a gap between the coping and skimmer top, they filled this gap with a steel plate and then poured the concrete deck over top. So essentially, if you reach into the skimmer, you feel coping until the last six inches then it is this steel plate. Is this normal as well, what should I look out for to make sure it doesn't leak?

I can add pictures later if needed.....

First of all, I'm so sorry your build has turned into a fiasco. I sure hope today brings positive news about the PB being able to get his obligations completed. Quite a roller coaster ride as you were concerned early on, then you had a very positive day at one point and now this. I don't have any specific recommendations on the process with the PB, etc. except to be the squeaky wheel and/or the customer that gets in line first with your lawyer if it comes to that.

Regarding your tile in the skimmer mouth having cracked mortar. Yes, this is a problem and a likely source for leaks. Other than the grout, the next thing behind it is the gunite shell which is not waterproof. There are three surfaces that keep water in your pool, tile, grout and plaster finish. Behind all of those is porous gunite. This surely needs to remedied though it should be a pretty easy fix. Are there issues with the mortar in other places around the pool? Have they completed the coping also? I think you just mentioned tile being finished. If so, how is the mortar quality on that?

I'm not completely clear on your description of what they've done near the skimmer with the steel. Steel can be used to support coping over top of the skimmer mouth (if the individual pieces of coping don't span the skimmer mouth sufficiently). This is sometimes encased in mortar and hidden. If you are just seeing the edge of this, no inherent problem. Also, sometimes the entry to the skimmer through the deck is not clean because the skimmer plastic isn't tall enough to reach the deck surface. They can use an extension but sometimes that isn't enough either and there is a bit of a raw surface to the inside of the vertical shaft. If that is where the steel is showing and it's above the water line, it shouldn't be a big deal, though it will rust unless it was stainless steel, it probably won't matter as long as it's above the highest normal water level.

I guess I'm saying that a picture would be quite helpful on the steel question (though after re-reading your post - I think its just the coping support steel you see the edge of and not an issue) and also interesting to see a picture of the mortar though that one is more of a clear cut 'it needs to be fixed' situation.

I wish you the best on the bigger issue and we can guide you on the construction related issues.

Here is a picture I got with my phone I will try and take a better one later (actually it is super small not sure why I cant post it bigger?). The mortar along the bottom tiles are cracked and the piece of steel plate, you can kind of see. Basically if you look at the coping right before you get to the skimmer, it is a steel plate. Prob about 4-6 inches worth.

As for my PB they are a HUGE PB been around for ever! I was supposed to have plaster last week and they never delivered my equipment. So they finally admitted they couldn't deliver do to financial issues. I have yet to receive a call today and they haven't responded to phone or email. SO we shall see.....

View attachment 37002

On the steel, that is perfectly normal. Once you get past the coping something has to support the decking. Often times the skimmer rectangular mouth will extend to reach the coping but if it doesn't they need this steel to bridge the gap.
Can't see the mortar with this picture due to quality.

Thanks bmoreswim....

Per the PB's assistant, she has contacted the tile and coping company to fix the cracked mortar.....

As for the PB Construction Manager who is supposed to update me today on whether or not my pool is getting finished, he left for the day with no update. I don't know what to think; all I need is equipment and plaster! Which were supposed to occur last week, instead we've had a week of wondering if it will ever get done.....

Good on the tile.
But ugh. Honestly I would be in their office tomorrow (and as often as needed) personally making my wishes known, politely but FIRMLY. This is a special case that, to me, requires more than emails and phone calls. If they are talking to you that's a good thing. When they go quiet it's usually not good. Even if they don't have anything to tell you I think it will still be worthwhile, maybe they will be more inclined to get an answer if they know you'll be in their office the next day too inquiring. It's one approach anyway.

I've personally been in the office several times over the last week and each time they promise me answers. I will be back in there tomorrow. What makes me very very angry is the fact that I filed with MHIC and was told today by MHIC "we are going to give them time to work it out as they say they are fully funded". Well if you're fully funded then deliver and install my equipment and plaster my pool. At this point I don't know who to believe. If they would blatantly lie to the government to buy time then what stops them from continuing to lie to me...... It's a nightmare and unfortunately there is no recourse....

Assuming their name has two initials, they are a private corporation and own all of their locations (they were public and then repurchased their stock). None of the locations appear to be franchised. So that would likely make them "fully funded" in total, but not necessarily at the local level. It could be their corporate group who makes the local ops handle their own issues until they must intervene. If that's who it is, I'd go up the chain. If not, disregard. Crappy situation to be in.

Yes, the PB called me today and said they will be able to finish the pool. They plan on getting it completed next week. My fingers are crossed!

I will give the two gentleman now in charge of the company credit, they seem sincere in their attempts to fund the remainder of the project. I am pulling for them to make it (and not just for my benefit) as it seems like one bad apple (happened to be the majority owner) financially destroyed the company. However, now that he is no longer around, it seems like things are looking up for the PB.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Quick update.....

Equipment is confirmed for Tuesday with electrical being finished on Wednesday. They will be plastering Friday.

I do have a quick question, they are sending the pool start up company out on Monday. We are doing a non acid start up. Is it ok to wait two days before doing the start up?

Need advice. My electrician cancelled on me tomorrow and will now be out Friday which is same day as plaster. My only concern is my lights are not installed. Is this an issue? Should I be looking for another electrician? He told me he can install them during plaster? I don't know what to believe. This process has made me very skeptical of everyone

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.