Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
10,000 gal round AGP
FC: 6
CC: 0.5
CYA: 20 (Added 2 lbs. last night, still dissolving)
PH: 7.5
TA: 70
Passed OCLT 5/18

Our 2 year old filter doesn't seem to be cutting it anymore. Water appears less than clear/sharp and there are silty deposits on the bottom despite vacuuming and brushing every day for the past 5 days. (I noticed similar issues at end of last season but... procrastinated.) I cleaned the cartridge this morning (for at least the 6th time in 10 days) and pressure is 4 psi with the ("creepy crawly" suction style) vacuum running. 7-8 psi is more typical for this system and I clean the cartridge at 10-12 psi.

To be fair, we're getting hammered by pollen right now -- you can see it as a powder on practically every surface. Still, this cartridge needs cleaning way too often judging by the other info here on TFP which tells me this filter is probably too small. Sq ft rating is unknown because I can't find any info on this brand/model anywhere -- same goes for the pump. When we bought the pool we were told the pump was 1.5 hp and that's all we know.

I'm getting the feeling that the pool store gave us the lowest quality equipment they could get away with, everything looks almost toyish compared to the name brands. Pump and filter are both "Simple Clean" brand, pump says White River model no. JH115DNSGG, and the filter housing says Simple Clean SC 90-HB (HB meaning "hybrid" because it is a cartridge that also contains DE).

So all that being said, is this most likely a cartridge problem or an actual filter problem? If I want to go with a bigger and better filter, how do I choose size when I have so little info about the pump's performance?

Pump nameplate.jpg

Last edited:
Your filter size is tiny. Only in Florida do we normally see that size equipment. The 90 stands for 90SF.

I suspect you have pollen that is overwhelming the tiny filter that uses DE. DE filters are great until you have debris in your pool.

It should get better when the pollen season slackens.

You might consider a bigger, normal cartridge filter at some time in the future.

I just did a search for that filter and nothing comes up. That is odd. If you have a link or manufacturer that would be great.

Hi @mknauss , thanks for the reply. I had been wondering if the "90" meant 90 sq ft, glad to have that confirmed. The only link I can find for this filter is here: Simple Clean System – Evolution Advantage Pools which basically says a whole lot of marketing speak and very little of anything else. However, in my wholly non-professional view, the "Black Diamond" filters found at this link appear to be the same system: https://swimmingpool-discounters.com/product/black-diamond-cartridge-filters-and-systems-from
You can see the Black Diamond logo in the photo of the Simple Clean filter.

That link for black diamond I cannot find anything about using DE in the cartridge filter. You are sure that is correct?

Not sure at all ! -- however, in the previously mentioned "marketing speak" it states this: "The Simple Clean Hybrid Filtration System combines the advantages of the cartridge filter with the water polishing power of the D.E. system."
Reading it again, I can see now that maybe they're just comparing its filtering ability with DE rather than actually saying the DE is physically present in there. :scratch:

Their are filter systems out there that use a special cartridge filter that uses DE. You have to take them apart and clean them just like you would a regular cartridge filter. How do you clean yours?

from what I read it sure sounds like your supposed to use DE.. But I have not seen a DE with a normal filter before...??

Their are filter systems out there that use a special cartridge filter that uses DE. You have to take them apart and clean them just like you would a regular cartridge filter. How do you clean yours?
I unscrew the top of the filter housing, lift out the cartridge, take it out to the grass and use a hose to spray the daylights out of it. :LOL: BTW, had to clean it again today. We're at about every other day for cleaning the cartridge -- it's maddening. The cartridge looks just like this one: 90 sq ft Black Diamond cartridge

I read some of the linked items and it appears to me that you are not to add DE all the time. Only those times you want to 'polish' your pool water. In other words, the DE makes the filter 'dirty' which helps it filter finer particles. Under normal circumstances, you do not use the DE.
At least that is how I read it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hm -- I've never added DE, so that's fine I guess. You did mention the filter at 90 sq ft is tiny. What size cartridge filter should one expect to see with a 10,000 gal AGP? From what I read here on TFP it depends on the GPM rate of your pump, but again I'm missing that piece of information.
I'd love to know the "minimum for best performance" filter size and also the hypothetical "if money were no object" size. Haha.

For filter size, bigger is better. You can go much longer between cleaning if bigger.
For instance, I have a 240 sf cartridge filter for my 6000 gallon pool. I clean them once a year.

Wow! That's bigger than I would have guessed -- good to know. One last question on this topic: in online shops, some cartridge filters are listed as "in ground" and others as "above ground." Confusingly, if you take some of these same models and look them up on the manufacturer's site itself, it says no such thing. What is up with that?

Last edited:
rocker93,

One like Marty's or even a 320 like mine should be more than enough for your pool. I clean mine twice a year and it's barely even dirty when I do, so it should easily fit your needs, although it sounds like the 240 would work for you just fine. It might require a 2nd cleaning though. No biggie, they are very easy to clean.

rocker93,

One like Marty's or even a 320 like mine should be more than enough for your pool. I clean mine twice a year and it's barely even dirty when I do, so it should easily fit your needs, although it sounds like the 240 would work for you just fine. It might require a 2nd cleaning though. No biggie, they are very easy to clean.
Thank you @DeanP66 , right now I'm having to clean every other day so twice a season would be a dream!! -- in fact, double that would still be a dream. Also the plastic tab on the air relief valve busted right off today, so that seals the deal for me. Can't get rid of this thing fast enough.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.