new fill water after resurface test results - Help

jetskierg

Jul 5, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
Ok. pool finished filling at 11pm last night. i turned on pump and gave a light brushing. this morning i tested with my new taylor k-2006 kit. here are the results as best I know. So far, i have put nothing into the pool. What do I start with? I 've heard you don't put chlorine in for 48 hrs, but in the arizona sun that can't be right. I need to head out to the store for chemicals so a reply is kind of urgent. thanks. oh, and the PB said start up instructions are on line and gave me nothing.

FC - none
PH - Above 8
TA - 120 ( until it turned pink, not red)
CH - 200 (until it turned purple, not blue)
CYA - I never saw the black dot 'disappear'
SI - .09 (water temp is about 84, im in arizona)

Those are nice numbers!

You will have no CYA because it doesn't exist in nature. You have to add. And the high pH will go higher as the plaster cures. Expect it.

Plug numbers into poolmath and add acid to get to 7.5 or so. That's about a quart of 31%.
Then while that is mixing, measure out CYA. About 8 lbs. And put it in using the sock method described in Recommended Pool Chemicals - Trouble Free Pool

In the skimmer or like this

Buy some bleach now, too. A couple gallons.

thank you for the quick response. What CYA product do you use? I've read on here that some crystals have a hard time dissolving. Can the acid and crystals go in pool at the same time or do i wait awhile after the acid? thx
The CYA is granular. I don't buy CYA. My pool had a huge surplus when I took over and since then I just replenish as needed with pucks when I leave town. Just buy whatever they have where you go shopping for it. As long as it says 99 or 100% Cyanuric Acid, it'll work. It's all spelled out in Recommended Pool Chemicals - Trouble Free Pool

They can go in one after the other because the granules dissolve so slowly. It's still only going to be a day or two.

I put 9 in for ph on pool math and it said add 76oz of acid at 31%, which is what i bought. Thats like 4 quarts isn't it? Just don't want to put too much. You said its about a quart. ??
You don't know where your pH is exactly, but it's a logarithmic scale, so 8-9 is ten times bigger than 7-8. So just plug in what you know, which is 8. If it doesn't lower it enough, try again. DON'T overdose with acid.

Wow, what a difference 8 instead of 9 is. You were right on target with a quart. Added that in front of return, and now looking for a knee hi to use for stabilizer. I threw them out when i retired. I have brand new trouser socks (black tho) that are polyester and stretchy like panty hose. Can I use those or will the black run and ruin my new resurface?

Update - Found a white tube sock and tied it off so it hangs in front of return. I could only fit about 1.5 lbs in there so i have a long way to go to get 8 lbs in. Anyone hang multiple socks at same time? When do i test again? When does chlorine go in? i'm concerned because it is 107 degrees in the shade here pretty much everyday now. thx

Update - Found a white tube sock and tied it off so it hangs in front of return. I could only fit about 1.5 lbs in there so i have a long way to go to get 8 lbs in. Anyone hang multiple socks at same time? When do i test again? When does chlorine go in? i'm concerned because it is 107 degrees in the shade here pretty much everyday now. thx
You can set sock number two in the skimmer if you have one. Use the dress sock if you want. CYA is a very weak acid, It wont dissolve it.

Chlorine can go in 30 minutes after acid. I don't think your PB will care.

Ok. sock is finished. I am adding 102 oz chlorine now per pool math. It says goal for FC is 4. I have 3" pucks that I hate to waste. Can i use those in the future at any point? Do i need to worry about calcium at this point or wait until after i test again? Pool math says 178 oz by weight of calcium chloride. when do i test after adding the chlorine? Can I swim yet? thx

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
have a question about the pool math for 10% liquid chlorine. It states to put in 102 oz but when i hover over the field as it states, the top field shows that equals 3 quarts 1 cup or 1.6 gal (64oz) jug. I may not be good at math, but isn't 64oz equal to 4 quarts by itself. (or a gallon) 3 quarts plus 1 cup only equals 56oz. So which of the 3 different answers am i using? 102 oz or 56 oz or 1.6 jugs. thx

1591045053486.png

Ok. sock is finished. I am adding 102 oz chlorine now per pool math. It says goal for FC is 4. I have 3" pucks that I hate to waste. Can i use those in the future at any point? Do i need to worry about calcium at this point or wait until after i test again? Pool math says 178 oz by weight of calcium chloride. when do i test after adding the chlorine? Can I swim yet? thx
The pucks are handy for when you leave town or when you need to replenish CYA lost to splashout. Hang onto them

Calcium I don;t know about. That's kinda between you and the PB.
have a question about the pool math for 10% liquid chlorine. It states to put in 102 oz but when i hover over the field as it states, the top field shows that equals 3 quarts 1 cup or 1.6 gal (64oz) jug. I may not be good at math, but isn't 64oz equal to 4 quarts by itself. (or a gallon) 3 quarts plus 1 cup only equals 56oz. So which of the 3 different answers am i using? 102 oz or 56 oz or 1.6 jugs. thx

View attachment 143676
No, 32 ounces to a quart, 128 ounces to a fluid gallon.

Follow this startup guide for the first 28 days...

After the 4th Day - low calcium levels should be adjusted slowly over the 28 day period not to exceed 200 ppm
After the 4th Day - adjust cyanuric acid levels to 30 to 50 ppm1 based on the primary sanitizer of the pool

Last edited:
Reactions: JoyfulNoise
ok new test numbers on 6/2. Guess i need to increase calcium now. Pool math states Add 385 oz by weight and it is day 4. Do I really need to add Calcium right now, as I have heard we have hard water?

"Pool stores will carry either calcium chloride or calcium chloride dihydrate under a variety of names, including Hardness Plus, Balance Pak 300, Calcium Hardness Increaser, etc.'
Anyone have a favorite brand? guess i have no choice but to go to pool store, although it will cost a fortune for 385oz. We don't get cold enough to have deicer around here. I can order from Home Depot but it won't be here until June 25th. Snow Joe in pellets or crystals. Not sure it is 100% pure tho. Also it states it heats up. Is that what I want?

Also, Start UP says to test Carbonate Alkalinity now. How is that different than regular TA test?

PH - 7.6
TA - 150
CH- 120 or 130 (it turned purple not blue)
SI is between 0 and 0.1

Last edited:
test results this morning 6/4. We did have some activity in the pool yesterday and were in it a few hours. This is the 5th day of my new resurface and water fill.
PH - back at 8
TA - 4 drops to pink that faded quickly (100), 5 drops to murky change (125,) 6 drops to pinkish (150) so I'm using 150
CH- up to 150 now
CSI - 0.55
Want to test FC but confused where it states: for 1 drop = 0.2 ppm, use 25ml sample and for 1 drop = 0.5ppm use 10ml sample. Which am i doing?

Last edited:
Want to test FC but confused where it states: for 1 drop = 0.2 ppm, use 25ml sample and for 1 drop = 0.5ppm use 10ml sample. Which am i doing?

10 ML sample and 1 drop = 0.5 ppm uses less reagents and is fine for pool care. you don't need 0.2 precision on your FC.

ok. so i finally measured FC, CC, CYA. Used 10ml sample and 0.5 multiplier.

FC - 0.5 (very light pink with one drop)
CC - 0.5 (light pink with one drop)
CYA - somewhere between 70-100. First time doing it. Slightly hard to see dot at 100, disappeared more and more with more fluid added. Not sure if they wanted it completely gone or not. Lets say 80.

1. So I'm guessing i need to add more chlorine and acid? PH is back above 8 again.
  2. Which TA number do i use? TA - 4 drops to pink that faded quickly (100), 5 drops to murky change (125,) 6 drops to pinkish (150) so I'm using 150 right now.
  3. Do i need to worry about calcium hardness right now as it is a new resurface? thx
  4. Is my target for FC really a 9? i'm only at 0.5. (pool math says to add 217 oz of bleach)
1591309343760.png

You should be following the startup guide in post #15 for the first 28 days and only after transition to TFP guidelines.

Get at least 3ppm of FC in the water and maintain that level.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.