New fiberglass pool owner

Mar 3, 2018
Salado/TX
We’re having a fiberglass inground pool installed in May. It will be salt water and we live in Central Texas. We’ve never owned or maintained pools. Can anyone recommend/link a good thread for proper water maintenance in this type of pool?

Welcome to TFP!

This is the link for managing SWG's I'd start looking at pool school overall (tab above), there's lots of valuable info. Also as you get the details of your new pool fill out your signature so others can better answer any questions. Off the bat you will want to makes sure your SWG is sized correctly 2x - 3x and you have a variable or at least 2 speed pump.

Welcome to TFP, Mah2496! Congratulations on the new pool.

Many of us here love our fiberglass pools and don't consider them a "problem" whatsoever. Mine couldn't be any easier to take care of since it uses a salt water chlorine generator, and the robot cleaner does all the brushing for us these days.

You'll need one of the test kits we recommend- either the TF-100 or the K-2006C. You can see them at TFTestkits.net

Until you get the pool in and filled it doesn't make sense to stock up on any chemicals....most of us here buy what we need for the pool either at the grocery store or the hardware store. We rarely buy anything from the pool store believe it or not! Your water might not need much in the way of tweaking, so until you have your own test kit and can test your water we won't know.

The only things I would say to have on hand is a couple of jugs of bleach to hit the water with before the SWG takes over or liquid chlorine (Walmart pool chlorine 10% is a good buy) and some stabilizer (CYA, cyanuric acid) which is a granular product. You can buy that from Lowes or Walmart. Don't buy any CloroxBlu products as they contain bad stuff (copper, eeeck!)
which you do not want in your pretty pool.

Keep us up to date with the build and any questions :)

Maddie :flower:

Great replies! Skippy, the autocorrect must have meddled with my original post. Not sure why or how I typed “problem” pool.

My pool will have a variable speed pump but I don’t know about the SWG. My contract shows I have an “auto chlorinator” but I honestly don’t know what that involves at this stage. Is it the same as an SWG?

It will be salt water

Your OP said it will be salt water (which typically means SWG) autochlorinator could refer to SWG or I'd expect that to mean an inline trichlor feeder (8" chlorine pucks), which is a big difference and typically not conducive to following the TFP methods. If it's the primary source of chlorine, it will lead to CYA inbalance. See if you can get more details on the equipment and start learning about pool school. IMO SWG's are the most ideal way to manage your pool these days but not the only way...

BasicTek, the owner of the company was very adamant that salt is the best method for this pool. In fact he claims 70% of his clients have salt. Based on all that, I think I may have an SWG. What are some questions or features I should ask them about an SWG? I only want to install the equipment once, so if I need to upgrade something, I’d rather do it now. Thanks in advance!

It's hard to know when we don't know your other equipment, see my 1st post, sizing is very important (how many gallons is your pool), type of pump, if you are using automation, there are quite a few options so try to find out your pool info and get back to us.

It's hard to know when we don't know your other equipment, see my 1st post, sizing is very important (how many gallons is your pool), type of pump, if you are using automation, there are quite a few options so try to find out your pool info and get back to us.

Here is what I know. 14,000 gallon Viking Cancun 16x35 fiberglass inground pool, salt water (property on well water from Edwards Aquifer), 1.5hp Hayward Max Flo VS 500 variable speed pump, Hayward Swim Clear C3030 filter, Hayward CL2002S inline automatic chlorinator.

Feel free to comment.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is what I know. 14,000 gallon Viking Cancun 16x35 fiberglass inground pool, salt water (property on well water from Edwards Aquifer), 1.5hp Hayward Max Flo VS 500 variable speed pump, Hayward Swim Clear C3030 filter, Hayward CL2002S inline automatic chlorinator.

Feel free to comment.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Can anyone recommend/link a good thread for proper water maintenance in this type of pool?
Hello mah2496! :wave: If you haven't done so already, make sure to bookmark the vital links below in my sig. They will serve you (and your pool shell) just fine. We have the Viking Poseidon and love it. I'm not aware of any excessive iron from the Edwards aquifer, so you should be okay. If you're curious, you can always check-out your local water report or take a fresh hose sample somewhere to check for iron. But I love my TF-100 with speedstir, and you will too. Make sure to have that on-hand on day one as the water is going in. You won't use the in-line chlorinator much as pucks are stabilized and increase your CYA on their own waaaayyyyy too fast. Your SWG will work wonders for you. Practice in advance with the Poolmath calculator as well. Lastly, I always keep a couple gallons of HEB's regular Bravo bleach on-hand just in case the FC needs a bump. You might too until you get the SWG dialed in.

Feel free to checkout our pool install in my link below. Congrats!

I was under the impression that I wouldn’t use/need chlorine pucks for my pool. I was told I just needed to add salt to the pool. Am I misunderstanding something?
You're absolutely correct. :goodjob: But the fact that your signature shows one (in-line chlorinator) means your installer is adding it to the plumbing. I was just highlighting that you really won't need to use it. Since you will have an SWG, you're covered for trips away from home, so you may never open that lid. I haven't opened mine in probably 3 years. :)

Is it possible that your builder is just putting salt in the water and you are not actually getting a salt water generator (SWG)? Do you know if there is actually a salt water generator, based on your pool size you probably want a 30K+

Is it possible that your builder is just putting salt in the water and you are not actually getting a salt water generator (SWG)? Do you know if there is actually a salt water generator, based on your pool size you probably want a 30K+

Great question. I’ve been trying to figure out if I will have or need an SWG. I wasn’t sure if the in-line auto chlorinator would serve as the SWG. Maybe I should simply ask my builder??

I wasn’t sure if the in-line auto chlorinator would serve as the SWG.
Completely different things. The in-line chlorinator is just a small (vertical) cylinder items installed in the plumbing that holds chlorine tablets. An SWG is also installed in the plumbing line, but is smaller and has access to power to generate free chlorine from salt water. Either will work with your pool, but you'll want to confirm so you know how to plan later. The SWG will generate free chlorine without any assistance from you. The in-line chlorinator (with tabs) is only used for short-term chlorinating because the tabs increase your stabilizer levels in the water (bad). If you don't have a SWG, you'll be adding chlorine (aka bleach) to the pool manually. Not a deal breaker, but you need to know.

Great explanation but now I’m wondering why it appears that I may not have an SWG when my builder pushed and convinced me to go with salt since day one. I’ll contact my builder tomorrow to get it figured out. Many thanks for the clarifications.

My builder said he miscommunicated. I will have a salt cell rather than an in-line auto chlorinator.

That's great news! since you are in texas I assume you will have pretty hot summers, and you don't mention a screen. Hopefully you are getting a cell sized about 3x the size of your pool (40k) or you may have to run it for a long time in the summer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.