New fiberglass pool is full of cracks... HELP!

Michael, I just read your post from beginning to end. I hope you are making some progress in your quest. I also live I. St. Tammany Parish in Mandeville. I applaud you for sticking to your guns. I had to sue a car dealership over a defective car several years ago and I won. It was a pain in the arse but I felt vindicated when it was over. I am shocked that this was not resolved immediately by your builder. We started planning our pool in June of 2012. Construction started in mid August and took about five weeks and that included a visit from Hurricane Issac. I hope you can get yours ready for this spring. I know a lot of people are rooting for you and so am I.

Good luck!

David Hurley

Hard to believe... today is the ONE YEAR anniversary of the beginning of our pool construction. Basking in the excitement of that day, with our dream of a pool finally beginning to materialize, seeing our kids' happiness when the pool shell arrived, etc., I never imagined that a whole year later, we'd be sitting here with a mangled and incomplete pool in our backyard.

Nothing significant has occurred in the case... still just working our way through the legal process, which in addition to being slow normally, well, let's just say the other side is not helping to keep things moving. Back in December we had sent a list of discovery questions and document requests, most of which were not answered or were answered incompletely (and that was after they requested more time to respond). So, in that hearing next week, we will be asking the judge to compel them to answer. Meanwhile, a few weeks ago they sent me a list of questions and requests, some of them downright absurdly irrelevant, and others just plain silly, but I answered them as completely and thoroughly as I could. They are throwing quite a few things up against the wall in the hopes that something sticks. But we are being cooperative, as we have nothing to hide and the facts are solidly in our favor.

We had hoped to have begun construction on the replacement pool by now. Six months ago they had been informed several times of our intention to do this, and although they indicated they wanted to come inspect it again, take photos, etc., they never did. We had our expert inspection and report performed, and by the time November rolled around, we were getting anxious to start getting the ball rolling, so again we inquired if they were going to have their own expert inspection done. They said they were working on it.

Another several weeks went by, and, fearing that this could drag out for many more months (killing our chances of having the pool finished in time for this Summer), we asked them to agree to a 30-45 day deadline to conduct their inspection, after which time we'd be free and clear to remove this pool without fear of it harming our case. The concern is that, even though they've had plenty of opportunity to inspect the pool but haven't bothered to do so, they could still claim that we intentionally destroyed evidence that could have helped their case.

Initially, they indicated that they would agree to the deadline, but then changed their minds, prompting us in late December to file a motion for the judge to impose a deadline. Unfortunately the hearing date ended up being nearly two months away (it's next week), so, in a situation where every week counts, we've lost two precious months. Hopefully the judge will indeed impose the deadline, but then we're still looking at another month or two before we could proceed. So April is our best case for getting started, and pool builders will all be busy by then.

In short, there's a very good chance that we will lose ANOTHER Summer (or at least a big chunk of it), which is truly sickening and disheartening. I suspect that might be part of their strategy... wear us down until we give up out of frustration. It's not going to work though.

They FINALLY did send someone to inspect the pool last week (but we still have to wait).

--Michael

Oh, and here are some videos for the morbidly curious...

A complete "tour" of the cracks all the way around the pool (best to view this one full-screen):
[youtube:1fot8ctr]U7Vn2RO1wmc[/youtube:1fot8ctr]

Closeup of the crack near the shallow end steps:
[youtube:1fot8ctr]qWidguZjGNk[/youtube:1fot8ctr]

Closeup of a cluster of cracks near the high spot:
[youtube:1fot8ctr]-kmTLY8we7Q[/youtube:1fot8ctr]

The builder considers these cracks to represent "minor mistakes in the pool construction and appearance, common to most pool installations" and also insists that the unlevelness of the pool shell has nothing to do with the cracks.

--Michael

So, is that new pool gonna be a fibreglass pool? :hammer:

Just trying to inject some levity.

It's unfortunate that the old strategy delay delay delay has been employed, the builders just throwing away good money that could have been used to fix the pool.
Hopefully you'll get the go ahead soon and perhaps with your existing hole already dug it will translate into a quicker install.

I really feel for your family, I really hope it works out sooner rather than later.

Best wishes!

cramar said:
So, is that new pool gonna be a fibreglass pool? :hammer:

LOL... well, that's still being discussed. Our reasons for wanting a fiberglass pool in the first place still remain, and just because we've had a horrendous experience with this builder doesn't mean that all fiberglass installations are this bad. But still, we cringe at the thought of even the slightest possibility of having to go through this again. Of course, going gunite doesn't guarantee a trouble-free build either.

But in the end, it might not even be up to us. Early on, the builder and I discussed moving the pool (because of the setback violation issue), which he tried to discourage me from because he said it would be "messy" and would take a month (I still chuckle when I think about that), but later he later stated that you cannot reinstall a shell in this same hole (enlarged to fix the incorrect positioning of the pool), due to the hole being "unstable" as a result. Of course, he was probably just saying that because he didn't want to move the pool. However, other builders I've spoken with at least partially agree... assuming we found a similar-shaped shell from another manufacturer, it would still result in some large "empty" areas of the hole that would have to be filled with sand or gravel, and this could be challenging (but certainly not impossible) to do properly. The gunite guys, on the other hand, don't seem concerned at all about this.

So, we're going to have to research this more... if the fiberglass people say that, yes, it can be done but that it's risky and there's a dramatically increased chance of problems from having to use so much backfill, then that will make the decision easy.

It's unfortunate that the old strategy delay delay delay has been employed, the builders just throwing away good money that could have been used to fix the pool.

Yeah, but I bet his lawyer is happy. :)

--Michael

duraleigh said:
Wow! None of that sounds good and they sure look like cracks to me. That much out of level is an issue, too.

Do you have any financial leverage?
It's just going to get worse as it settles over time, eventually possible leak. It is cracking because its not level and the weight and hydrological pressure are whats cracking it up. First the spider gel coat and second full structure crack.

It also could be a defect in the fiberglass under weight. Either way, the pool eventually will get a leak but its a easy fix when it does. Llifetime warranty from manufacturer on fiberglass pool. The install is done, looks good from pics, but you're the customer and you're not comfortable.

Sounds like a law suite in process. Good luck.

ComputerGuyInNOLA said:
Michael, I just read your post from beginning to end. I hope you are making some progress in your quest. I also live I. St. Tammany Parish in Mandeville. I applaud you for sticking to your guns. I had to sue a car dealership over a defective car several years ago and I won. It was a pain in the arse but I felt vindicated when it was over. I am shocked that this was not resolved immediately by your builder. We started planning our pool in June of 2012. Construction started in mid August and took about five weeks and that included a visit from Hurricane Issac. I hope you can get yours ready for this spring. I know a lot of people are rooting for you and so am I.

The hearing a few days ago went well... the other side wanted the pool to remain in place indefinitely (until the case was eventually resolved), while we wanted to be able to remove it in 30 days. The judge ordered a 60 day deadline for inspections, which means we can remove this pool after April 22.

We were pleased that the judge did not agree with the builder's attempt to prevent us from removing the pool, stating "you can't make these people keep a pool that they don't want." While not as quick as we wanted, I understand his reason for the 60 day timeframe... he wants to be absolutely certain that there is ample notice, so that the other side has no grounds for complaining that we "destroyed the evidence" before they had a chance to complete their inspections (even though they've already had almost 10 months to do so, and have already inspected the pool multiple times).

We've already accepted that (thanks to the delaying tactics) we probably won't have the replacement pool finished by the time the kids get out of school, but maybe we'll have it for at least part of the Summer. At least we can finally see a light at the end of the tunnel though. And almost definitely by Fall, we should have our backyard put back together so that the kids can finally play out there again (funny that the simple pleasure of our kids being able to play in the yard seems like such a distant fantasy).

--Michael

I am glad that you got some decent news, anyway. I read your whole post through the other day and it made me sick to my stomach. I hope you are posting this in review form on lots of review sights so that when anyone goes online to look this pool installer up, they link up to your problems. I am just so sorry.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
glitter&guns said:
I hope you are posting this in review form on lots of review sights so that when anyone goes online to look this pool installer up, they link up to your problems.
Not yet, but I intend to... I'm waiting until the case is resolved so that I can tell the complete story (right now, I'd have to leave some pretty big holes).

--Michael

I can't believe this is still going on for you and your family. A whole year and still, this. I hope you and the family can swim this year in a new pool! Take care and keep us updated! :goodjob:

Wow, just wow. I have read this entire thread with bated breath because I have a pool install that is scheduled to start Monday March 18th. I want to commend the OP who has been a model of class and reasonableness throughout. I hope and pray that this issue is resolved in your favor and I thank you for sharing all of this with us. I work out of towns on Monday and Tuesday and have been told that it is likely that the pool will be in the ground by the time I get home Tuesday night so I am a little concerned that I won't be there to take pictures of everything and keep and eye on the progress the first couple of days. However, I do trust our installer and was able to find quite a bit of background information on him as he is very prominent in the industry and is in fact the dealer trainer for one of the major fiberglass pool companies. He was also willing to share with me a number of references including some from folks who had some issues with their install. He seems like a stand up guy, but I guess you really never know for sure about people until you see them under stress.

Your installer sure hasn't handled it well. I do hope that HE learns a big lesson from this and that it costs him so much in the end that in the future, he will see the financial benefit of just admitting his mistakes early on and rectifying them before it becomes such a big hassle and expense. This guy definitely deserves to have his reputation take a hit because of his unwillingness to simply make it right. Maybe he's got his own issues with his life or financial problems that are affecting his judgment, but its just sad when consumers have to deal with business folks who don't seem to be operating in good faith.

One thing I noticed when I did my fiberglass pool research is that none of the dealers in my area had any reviews on Angie's List of Yelp or anywhere else online that I could find. I heard that the installation is just as important if not more so than the pool shell itself, but its really hard to find any independent information on the installers. One key though is to find installers who don't sub out the key work and who have been doing it for a long time. I shall find out very shortly whether I picked a good one. Wish me well!

jjgainer said:
Wow, just wow. I have read this entire thread with bated breath because I have a pool install that is scheduled to start Monday March 18th. I want to commend the OP who has been a model of class and reasonableness throughout. I hope and pray that this issue is resolved in your favor and I thank you for sharing all of this with us. I work out of towns on Monday and Tuesday and have been told that it is likely that the pool will be in the ground by the time I get home Tuesday night so I am a little concerned that I won't be there to take pictures of everything and keep and eye on the progress the first couple of days. However, I do trust our installer and was able to find quite a bit of background information on him as he is very prominent in the industry and is in fact the dealer trainer for one of the major fiberglass pool companies. He was also willing to share with me a number of references including some from folks who had some issues with their install. He seems like a stand up guy, but I guess you really never know for sure about people until you see them under stress.

Your installer sure hasn't handled it well. I do hope that HE learns a big lesson from this and that it costs him so much in the end that in the future, he will see the financial benefit of just admitting his mistakes early on and rectifying them before it becomes such a big hassle and expense. This guy definitely deserves to have his reputation take a hit because of his unwillingness to simply make it right. Maybe he's got his own issues with his life or financial problems that are affecting his judgment, but its just sad when consumers have to deal with business folks who don't seem to be operating in good faith.

One thing I noticed when I did my fiberglass pool research is that none of the dealers in my area had any reviews on Angie's List of Yelp or anywhere else online that I could find. I heard that the installation is just as important if not more so than the pool shell itself, but its really hard to find any independent information on the installers. One key though is to find installers who don't sub out the key work and who have been doing it for a long time. I shall find out very shortly whether I picked a good one. Wish me well!

If you don't mind, what is the name of your installer. I live in the DFW area and am thinking about a fiberglass pool.

Heh...I was just wondering if there was any progress. I am about to deal with another installer's mess, and thought of this thread. I hope that you get this resolved soon, as I know that you would like to use a pool (any pool) THIS summer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.