South Jersey
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
We've started the process! Contract sign and permits submitted. We are on track for install next month, assuming weather cooperates. Obviously it will be installed and winterized for use next year.

Here's the build sheet:
  • Complete Pool Installation with permit package, pool blueprints and layout
  • Fiberglass Pool: Island Beach in Midnight Blue
  • Excavate and Install Pool with 1 Skimmer, 2 Main Drains and 2 returns.
  • Upgrade to all rigid, SCH40 PVC pipe
  • Includes electric up to 50’ from existing panel
  • 4’ White Concrete W/Cantilever Coping Around Pool (can upgrade to stamped concrete for $2/sq. ft.)
  • Pentair:
    • Quad DE Filter 80
    • IntelliFlo VSF Pump
    • IntelliCenter i5P Load Center with Integrated IntelliChlor SCG (IC40)
    • (2) LED MicroBrite Lights Included - Upgraded to 4 LED kit
    • 300K Natural Gas MasterTemp Heater
  • GLI Solid Safety Cover
  • Saftron Ladder
  • Saftron Handrails (x 2)
  • Manual Vacuum Head, Hose, Pole Net & Test Kit
  • Start Up Chemistry & Orientation
I'll attach the pool layout/install specs and here are some gallery pictures of the same pool installed (we have selected the darker blue color).

IMG_3248.jpeg IMG_8339.jpegIMG_9450.jpeg

Just a few remaining questions (as ALL of my other ones have been addressed by TFP):

1. How many returns should I expect? I believe 2 are included and pool builder is doing 3 (1 for the sun ledge)
2. Should I request 2 skimmers in the deep end? One on each side?
3. Anything else I should be looking for due to the unique shape and layout of our pool?
4. Any concerns with sun ledge support? Sadly, no "backfill eliminator" a la Thursday pools. I was going to discuss if the PB uses flowable fill.

Thanks again TFP for all the support!!

Attachments

• island beach 15 6x 37 ISLAND BEACH 15-6X37 (1).pdf
    89.7 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Reactions: Apsuhead
1. How many returns should I expect? I believe 2 are included and pool builder is doing 3 (1 for the sun ledge)

2 returns in the pool and 1 return int he sun ledge is fine.

2. Should I request 2 skimmers in the deep end? One on each side?

You should get 2 skimmers. That way if one skimmer gets blocked or clogged you still have a functioning skimmer.

Skimmers should be placed in the location of the prevailing winds. Winds affect the surface water flow direction more than the returns do. Place the skimmers in the two dominant wind directions. Deep end or shallow end doesn't matter.

" 2 Main Drains " - I expect is a single main drain with two inlets to meet VGBA requirements. See Safety Drains VGBA - Further Reading

How are you going to keep the bottom of the sun ledge clean? It is too small for a pool cleaner to run over it. I see dirt, leaves and other stuff blown into it being a constant PITA to clean.

What model number Intelliflo VSF pump?

Do you plan on a robot pool cleaner?

These articles will give you things to watch for in your install...

Last edited:
Here's my response to your questions:

How are you going to keep the bottom of the sun ledge clean? It is too small for a pool cleaner to run over it. I see dirt, leaves and other stuff blown into it being a constant PITA to clean.
Fortunately, we have no trees within 200' of the pool. I suppose we would just manually vacuum the sun ledge area. Would the robot really not work? How do folks keep any sun ledge clean?

What model number Intelliflo VSF pump? 011056 (sku-page)

Do you plan on a robot pool cleaner? Yes, a warrior SE or SI.

Thanks for the links. I have checked these out amongst quite a few others.

Would love some additional feedback on our build, if possible.

I did think of another question. Our equipment pad is effectively two, 3 x 3 pre-fabbed slabs (3 x 6, effectively). Should we upgrade to a poured pad or is the pre-fabbed sufficient? I really want it done correctly, right out of the gate.

Get a poured concrete equipment pad. The prefab pads eventually deteriorate.

All pipes should come up the side of the concrete pad and not be under the concrete.

Permits approved and pool is being manufactured. If weather holds out, we should be installing within next 2-3 weeks.

Just wanted to ping @jimmythegreek as you're only 1.5 hours away and may have some suggestions based on local climate and installs (our soil is significantly higher in sand composition than the clay you find up north).

Still open (and looking) to more suggestions. Hopefully the steps and sunledge in our pool won't be difficult to keep clean.

Just make sure the guy knows what hes doing. Backfill with stone and make sure the base is laser graded amd pool sits level. If its squarish run string lines down long sides so you can see its straight amd keep them there as backfill progresses amd water goes in. Fiberglass is tricky the shell quality really plays into final outcomes. They can settle when being fillednif the base isnt up to snuff

@Candurin - thanks for posting your specs. I've been lurking for a while, but am discussing a fiberglass install up with a local PB here in Passaic County. I hadn't heard of Dolphin, since my guys deals in Leisure & Latham. Your setup is pretty close to what I'm hoping for. Do you mind me asking who you are working with and what the round price is? I've been having some difficulty communicating with my guy.
Thanks in advance!
Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Our install is happening in 2 days! Just a few quick questions before hand (I'm sure more to follow). Again @jimmythegreek , had to bug you, but as you live only 90 min away you would be knowledgeable of winters here.

The PB indicated to us that the final cover nor steps/handrails will NOT be installed before the spring due to winter and curing time for concrete. They would basically install the handrails/steps in the spring and the final cover at some point next year.

1. PB mentioned a "temporary cover" (Just a big tarp, really). Is this OK? What type of pump do you recommend to keep water off of it? How should it best be secured and to what should it be secured to? Ground stakes?

2. Do we need to have any concerns about pouring concrete in cold temps (it's getting to low 40's, high 30's at night down in SJ now). Any issues with proper curing, cracking issues, etc?

3. I had asked about a "concrete collar" on top of the stone surrounding the FG pool. If the decking will be cantilevered, I assume this will be all in one (or one and the same, I suppose)?

Any last minute things to look out for?

As long as the anchors are in and bonded theres no need for rails. You dont need a cover really, it's for safety and UV protection. There are lots of cheap covers, they are held on by water bags. I'm not a fan of leaving anything longterm on concrete until its sealed. I seal every stone or cement product we use here in NJ. We have great weather the next week or more and it's fine to pour as long as care is taken on mix and the finishing. Yes the cantilever will act like a collar and is the same. What to watch out for is level of the pool. Is it free form or geometric? Base prep is crucial needs to be shot w laser amd screeded off on screed rails or pipe. Good PB can do w transit pole and tape measure. Backfill as water goes in and strings to keep sides straight not bulging

Thanks @jimmythegreek. The shape is geometric. The exact pool is in my first post. They laser grade the stone fill. I’ll chat with him about sealing the concrete. So you wouldn’t even cover until sealed? That can be done right away or do we have to wait a period of time?

So... Lasers all throughout the pit with ropes and they have checked level many, many times. Seems to be going really well so far. I guess :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.