New contract / New build - SE Pennsylvania, Gunite free form pool and spa

Oh I LOVE the work they did on the coping! Looks like they took great care with the cuts and color placements! That grout is purrfect with those tiles! Well done!!!

Kim:kim:

Thanks Kim! We're really liking the look as well. :)

that coping looks really really good! i really really like that step layout from the driveway. only thing i would change and maybe it's just like that for the drawing but the grass area by ur porch. under it actually. i would do all landscaping. hostas where it is in the shade and then other stuff where sunny.

that would be a pain to mow. i'm assuming it isn't and the drawing is just like that.

jim

the coping is so nice though. especially those transitional areas from the spa to pool angles.

Thanks! We're happy with the angles as well. These guys worked pretty fast but it still took them the better part of 2 days for 150+ feet. :) And yes, the "grass" area by the deck will become a mix of river rock, plantings, and a pathway to under the deck for seating and storage. We're limited by the township as to how much surface we can cover in this phase, but we'll work on the under the deck area in the spring including the transition area from the patio. :)

BTW Jim I might need to brainstorm with you for lighting and speaker placement. :)

Appreciate the complements guys. It's nice to see some cosmetic improvements finally, haha.

Thanks Kim! We're really liking the look as well. :)

Thanks! We're happy with the angles as well. These guys worked pretty fast but it still took them the better part of 2 days for 150+ feet. :) And yes, the "grass" area by the deck will become a mix of river rock, plantings, and a pathway to under the deck for seating and storage. We're limited by the township as to how much surface we can cover in this phase, but we'll work on the under the deck area in the spring including the transition area from the patio. :)

BTW Jim I might need to brainstorm with you for lighting and speaker placement. :)

Appreciate the complements guys. It's nice to see some cosmetic improvements finally, haha.

no problem man. I’m struggling with lighting in my yard too. I might wait till all my plants r in so I have a real life finished pic.

How msny zones u doing again? I’m assuming a zone up on top deck. A zone under all covered area. And a zone for the pool?

Rocks around the pool? U like ur bass! I think u should go full tilt and do an array. That way u can bury subs. Right now the cheapest array out there is nuvo’s. Russound, triad, and sonance is just so expensive. I’m using the nuvo setup with 6 speakers and 1 sub for the pool. My pool house has 4 proficient inceiling and my covered patio zone has the same.

Coping and tile look great....and familiar :D The coping guys were spot on. That coping has been holding up well so far (only one season of salt so far) with no sealant. It gets warm on hot days, but not hot. It seems like some solid progress, but I know sometimes it doesn't feel that way. Once that pool is done, it'll be worth it all.

Edit: Oh, and I would ask them to show you the returns you want before they show up with the wrong thing on the day of plaster (aka drain fittings). On my pool, the "return" fittings were installed (set) in the plaster the day plaster went in, and we know how that went:rant:. This leaves no room for error unless you want to reschedule plastering though I suspect that is Spring at this point.

no problem man. I’m struggling with lighting in my yard too. I might wait till all my plants r in so I have a real life finished pic.

How msny zones u doing again? I’m assuming a zone up on top deck. A zone under all covered area. And a zone for the pool?

Rocks around the pool? U like ur bass! I think u should go full tilt and do an array. That way u can bury subs. Right now the cheapest array out there is nuvo’s. Russound, triad, and sonance is just so expensive. I’m using the nuvo setup with 6 speakers and 1 sub for the pool. My pool house has 4 proficient inceiling and my covered patio zone has the same.

3 zones total - 2 of which are already existing. We have speakers on the deck and on the existing patio and would like to add a "ground level" array/zone area around the pool lounging areas and spa. I'll PM you so maybe we can chat/brainstorm over the phone one of these nights. I've been experimenting with Outdoor Speaker Depot products which are much cheaper than the regular brand stuff and seem to perform decently. I haven't measured any of their stuff yet but by ear it sounds fantastic for the price. I'm also using JBL Pro gear for the LFE/subs on the deck but will need something buried by the pool area.

Coping and tile look great....and familiar :D The coping guys were spot on. That coping has been holding up well so far (only one season of salt so far) with no sealant. It gets warm on hot days, but not hot. It seems like some solid progress, but I know sometimes it doesn't feel that way. Once that pool is done, it'll be worth it all.

Edit: Oh, and I would ask them to show you the returns you want before they show up with the wrong thing on the day of plaster (aka drain fittings). On my pool, the "return" fittings were installed (set) in the plaster the day plaster went in, and we know how that went:rant:. This leaves no room for error unless you want to reschedule plastering though I suspect that is Spring at this point.

Haha, I forgot you had done the travertine as well. :) Glad to hear you're happy with yours over the past year. I know we won't be swimming until next year (plaster in April-ish I'd guess?) but I'm really looking forward to seeing the hardscaping come together soon - especially the steps and waterfall.

THANK YOU for the reminder for the return and drain fittings and covers. I remember talking to you about that and will ask the construction manager about it.

Of course - more rain this week. While we have some downtime, figured I'd spend more time thinking about where I'll need low voltage runs before they install decking and stairs. First layout/draft attached showing potential path/spotlight lighting (white circles) and potential speaker placement (speakers and subs outlined in red rectangles).

Thoughts? Thinking of making the spa speakers a separate zone from the rest. Also may have to play with placement of the speakers around the retaining wall - the exact placement and height is TBD. At this point I'm thinking I'll need a conduit run under the new decking by the patio area (left side of this drawing) and under the new stairs to connect lights and speakers.

sept 24 lighting and speaker placement layout with highlights.jpg

we just did a pool with the same exact yard setup as you. no spa though. their spa is external and where ur covered kitchen area is. same zone setups as u too. lol

1 up on upper deck
2 by kitchen and spa
3 pool with 4 rock speakers in the exact locations u have there.

i don't know about having a separate zone for the spa. i think u are going to get a ton of bleeding from the pool zone. unless u are thinking late night chilling in the spa and not wanting to blast the pool speakers to hear them in the spa. if so that is a nice overkill plan. lol totally makes sense. but for coverage when using the pool having just the 2 pr of say rocks like we did for the customer is way more than enough. we did the 8 inch proficient rocks. they light up the whole area. made it easy for wiring just popped a conduit up under porch area. then ran another conduit over tho that area. they tie together inside the house where the nuvo player is. so if they ever want to seperate them out they are not tied in outside and can be changed inside. i always tie everything together at the head units. just me.

pm me when u want to chat!

we just did a pool with the same exact yard setup as you. no spa though. their spa is external and where ur covered kitchen area is. same zone setups as u too. lol

1 up on upper deck
2 by kitchen and spa
3 pool with 4 rock speakers in the exact locations u have there.

i don't know about having a separate zone for the spa. i think u are going to get a ton of bleeding from the pool zone. unless u are thinking late night chilling in the spa and not wanting to blast the pool speakers to hear them in the spa. if so that is a nice overkill plan. lol totally makes sense. but for coverage when using the pool having just the 2 pr of say rocks like we did for the customer is way more than enough. we did the 8 inch proficient rocks. they light up the whole area. made it easy for wiring just popped a conduit up under porch area. then ran another conduit over tho that area. they tie together inside the house where the nuvo player is. so if they ever want to seperate them out they are not tied in outside and can be changed inside. i always tie everything together at the head units. just me.

pm me when u want to chat!

You're probably right I don't need a full blown "zone" for the spa but I will definitely run individual wires back for that area to the equipment so I can switch them off and control volume independently. I doubt I'd be playing different music there though.

I'm toying with either using 3 pair of rock speaks or a 2.1 setup like they have at monoprice:

Monoprice Sycamore Outdoor 2.1 Speaker System with 8-inch Subwoofer and 2.5-inch Satellites (3 piece) - Monoprice.com

I've heard good things and for the price probably worth trying.

I'll send you a PM now :)

8 inch rocks. From what I have learned from arrays over the years is they r great when I want to blanket a large area. Now if u did like 6 of those and 2 subs you would get a nice coverage but with 2 sets of those like I think u r thinking the rocks would give u more output and more midrange.

So what no custom built sub sub boxes for 20’s buried in the ground? I figured u were going to try and rattle the shell out of the ground from seeing ur theatre. Lol

i think u should tackle some custom ex closures buried. I like that idea. U got the skills. U built the other subs. That would be an awesome builtout. Lol

8 inch rocks. From what I have learned from arrays over the years is they r great when I want to blanket a large area. Now if u did like 6 of those and 2 subs you would get a nice coverage but with 2 sets of those like I think u r thinking the rocks would give u more output and more midrange.

So what no custom built sub sub boxes for 20’s buried in the ground? I figured u were going to try and rattle the shell out of the ground from seeing ur theatre. Lol

i think u should tackle some custom ex closures buried. I like that idea. U got the skills. U built the other subs. That would be an awesome builtout. Lol

Funny enough I did model up some outdoor sub enclosures that I was planning to make from azek boards to be 100% weatherproof. Trouble is the time I need to build/test/deploy these projects has been very limited as of late. :( You're right though I'll probably be very disappointed with these 8" commercial offerings, lol.

Also - electrician came back yesterday to pull the wires for the lights and main wire to the panel. For some reason the 4th light in the sunshelf was left out - trying to find out why. Either way he's got to come back to do the actuators, wire up pumps and heater, relay for landscape lighting, remaining outlet, light, etc.

Those subs would cost as much as seaton subs if u make them out of azek. Lol. You got to do it! Find the time. 2-3 am is a quiet time. Lol.

i cringe when I hear azek. I have a ton of it on my house. So expensive and it takes paint horrible. I wish I had researched that more when I built. I should have sucked it up and used cement board products. Forcthe pool house I got smart and we ordered a cement board trim for the beams. It just came in today. At least I know this stuff will be easier to work with. Now if I can convince my wife to let me rip off all the azek on the house. I do know next summer when I do my ceiling in the pool house my back patio ceiling is getting ripped out to match it up. I got to figure out a way to get the azek off without her knowing. U want all of it for some subs. Lol

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Haha, I still have some of it leftover from trim work I did last year around the deck. I don't mind working with it and I'm OK with the basic white look. I also get good pricing on the 4x8 1/2" sheets - with good bracing this is more than sufficient. Maybe I can try out some designs/testing over the winter. Guess I can add it to the project list, haha.

I've been picking away at the basement kitchentte in preparation for the pool - just put up the backsplash and lighting this past weekend. This is right inside the slider right by the (soon to be) pool entrance:

20180929_231340161_iOS.jpg

i wish we had a walkout basement. my bar that my buddy and myself finished last summer doesn't get much use only in the winter cause of that reason. urs came out really nice!

For us the walkout was a must when we were looking for houses. No way I'd be able to get the theater gear down there without it. :) Also having this kitchen/bar area right inside the patio will really help cut down on the appliances we'll need in the pavilion outside. As of now I'm thinking a gas grill, a kamado type grill, an ice chest, and a big bar counter. No need for a fridge or sink as they'll be right inside.

That looks awesome. It is so classy looking!

Kim:kim:

Thanks Kim! Now I want to do the kitchen upstairs, haha. :)

when we did my bar i put in a dishwasher and ice machine. i use them all the time in the winter and for holidays. i wish they were closer for the summer outside though. the ice machine makes bar ice so u have to use it right then and there. it's awesome for when down there, but try and take a bowl of it and keep it cold it ends up 1 big cube.

i hear with theatre gear. only ting that saved me was my second set of step to the basement are in the garage and i have 4 foot wide doors so getting stuff down is easuer than a 3 foot door, but you still have steps!

<confuddled> What's "bar ice" ?

Maddie :flower:

sorry. . . my dad thought me that. he was a bartender earlier in life. the square ice cubes with the dimples. clear ice sometimes called if it's a maker that has a drain. vs the regular half moon cubes or other shapes most frig ice makers pop out. you can control the dimple in the cube to make it more shallow or deeper to make the cube itself thinner. he said it makes for a better on the rocks drink cause the ice is small and the liquid gets in the dimples.

i just think it melts too quick so i change the dimple to be more of a solid cube and then when he comes over to make a manhatten for himself he complains.

A few updates here!

-Hardscaping crew started Monday and has been working each day with removing the old patio, laying paver base and compacting stone, laying drain pipe and conduit, and installing the new stairway. More updates and pictures to follow shortly. Yard is starting to look much better now. There might be a little snafu with the PB (again) with them not getting the right approvals in time which might hold up laying the pavers but we'll see shortly. For now they still have plenty of work to do including the retaining wall w/ lighting, footers for the waterfall, footers for the pavillion before patio install, etc. Guess they will be on site for the better part of 2 weeks.

-Electrician came back yesterday and pulled the last light and I believe completed the rest of the wiring, will have to confirm tonight

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.