New Build in New York underway - Started in Dec 2020

In regard to the piping used underground, I found some older pics of when they started the piping, and before they finished hooking it up, and doing the backfill.

One of these pics has the rolls of piping in the background.
I also found a pic I took of what I think was the label on the piping.

This may also help.

Attachments

• dec pic of piping starting.JPG
    dec pic of piping starting.JPG
    581.1 KB · Views: 46
  • piping pic of rolls in background.JPG
    piping pic of rolls in background.JPG
    440.5 KB · Views: 47
  • piping -label on the material used.JPG
    piping -label on the material used.JPG
    363.1 KB · Views: 46
TFP folks, any thoughts on DE vs cartridge vs sand? I like my cartridge filter, and would not like the idea of backwashing, but I've only ever had cartridge...

@ajw22, do we have any articles comparing all three filter types?

TFP folks, any thoughts on DE vs cartridge vs sand? I like my cartridge filter, and would not like the idea of backwashing, but I've only ever had cartridge...

@ajw22, do we have any articles comparing all three filter types?

PB spec'd it in his contract so it's fair game. It's super cheap and super fast to plumb. Its still around in areas and older pools. Not as strong as schd40 flex amd ridgid pipe and the connections are mechanically fastened instead of a solvent weld

TFP folks, any thoughts on DE vs cartridge vs sand
All 3 have their fans and their not-a-fans. It’s the Chevy/Ford/GMC debate all over again. People have no shortage of thoughts and preferences but all 3 will drive you to the store no problem.

As for the style, maintenance needs and performance that you can’t see with the naked eyes, all 3 filters have filtered sparkling pools for decades.

@steve_NY, not that it really matters, but the DE filters down to the smallest particles possible so you can be one of those people having that fact help you sleep at night. The other two are close enough, but the DE still wins on paper. (keep in mind we are talking about particles that are literally millionths of an inch in size).

I did pull out the contract, and this was in the preprinted wording:
"All poly pipe plumbing with rigid PVC and quick connect unions at filter"

I don't see how the flex PVC in the spools qualifies as "rigid PVC". I would ask the PB directly about what the contracts says versus what is being installed.

BTW, you should also have unions installed on your pump connections.

IMHO, flex PVC is a cheaper product, quicker for the builder to lay, and will not last as long as rigid Schedule 40 PVC. If you plan to be in the property for a few years then probably not a big deal. If this is your forever house then I would want rigid Schedule 40 PVC.

Information from a flex PVC manufacture can be found at...

#Application guidelines: FlexPVC® flexible pvc pipe can not be used for potable water and should not be used in conditions of deadhead pressure. Deadhead pressure is when you have the pump running and no place for the water to go. Constant deadhead pressure may balloon the pipe and eventually it may fail or cause joint failure. Please keep this information in mind when selecting FlexPVC® flexible pvc pipe for a project. It you use a booster pump for your swimming pool it is not recommended. Normal swimming pools with only one standard pump are fine.

• Should not be used with "booster pumps" applications. Ie, two pumps in series. In such situations, the flow stops and then starts repeatedly, it produces a "hydraulic hammer" effect and the glue joints may eventually fail. Standard swimming pool pumps are fine, booster pumps in addition to a standard pump are not. Note: the pipe itself rarely fails. In fact, we've never seen the pipe burst; the fitting connection is where it will fail. If really want to use flexible pvc pipe in high pressure or "critical" situations you can use Extra Deep Couples which have double the socket depth.

• If the pipe is buried in the ground with large sharp rocks, sometimes the rocks can rub a hole in the pipe. Keep this in mind when burying pipe. Back-fill with sand or screen out the large sharp rocks. Standard gravel, pea gravel, sand, Type II, topsoil, etc are all fine for backfill.

• It is not resistant to insects, in particular, termites have been known to eat it. Research has shown flexible PVC does not attract termites, however if flexible pvc is placed in between a termite nest and a food source, they may try to eat their way through it. (They are too dumb to go around it.) FlexPVC.com will not be responsible for failure due to insect damage, nor rocks rubbing against the pipe and wearing a hole in it. You can lace your backfill and trenches with boric acid to reduce the likelihood of termites, but it won't last forever. If you have termite infestation and want to use Flexible PVC pipe, you should retreat your trenches every few years to be safe, just like you do your house, garage, etc.

don't see how the flex PVC in the spools qualifies as "rigid PVC".

I am sure flex PVC does not qualify as rigid, but it is all in the wording here. According to what was posted, the statement does not seem to say they are the same, it seems to say "rigid PVC" is used at the filter (or in this case the fittings at the pad).

"All poly pipe plumbing with rigid PVC and quick connect unions at filter"

I had seen a lot of builds using Schedule 40 flex PVC run to the pool, underground, and then to the pad. What you don't normally see is the flex PVC come up and connect to anything at the pad. Normally the flex PVC transitions to rigid right before the pad, and then the connections on all the equipment are all made with rigid.

Learning a lot about Flex vs. Rigid, (not trying to cause a debate or even take a position on what is right vs. wrong) the theory behind this, from what I've gathered, is Flex PVC is quicker and cheaper to run underground, but is in no way UV protected, whereas Rigid PVC is. If you had flex pipe come up out of the ground, and was exposed to UV, it wouldn't last whereas rigid would. So the flex transitions to rigid, then up to the pad with all rigid pipe and connections. Looking at the pad, it would appear as if your plumbing was all rigid, but underground, it is Flex.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That looks great! I like the 3 levels.
How many gallons?
Thanks!
It is around 16,500 gallons

Curious what my water bill will look like.
Around 5 years ago I had a really high bill, and the water co insisted it was because I filled my pool that month.
They didn't believe me when I told them I did not have a pool, and sent the meter reader to check.
I think they are in process of changing the meters near me, but mine will have to wait until springtime.

Thanks!
It is around 16,500 gallons

Curious what my water bill will look like.
Around 5 years ago I had a really high bill, and the water co insisted it was because I filled my pool that month.
They didn't believe me when I told them I did not have a pool, and sent the meter reader to check.
I think they are in process of changing the meters near me, but mine will have to wait until springtime.
They should be happy that they making money. I was thinking of draining the pool and refilling but my PB said absolutely not. You'll f ... the liner
Leave it and will clean it up in spring.

Hi there,
We have a pool in process of being built.

Equipment is on the pad (1 more pump needs to be placed by PB).

Electrical cost is not included in our contract (which seems to be typical from other PB's we met with).
Prior to signing the contract, the PB gave us an estimate to budget for the plumbing cost for gas heater, and for the electrical.
The plumbing for gas estimate he gave us was a little higher than the plumber they referred us to, so that was good.

We finally got the estimate from electrician, and it was way higher than we expected (more than double), and we are going to consider other options.

Can anybody here recommend somebody.
If so, please send a private message.

Thanks in advance.

@Heavenlytunes @sonup2000
and anybody else from Long Island, or contacts here

Electrical cost is not included in our contract (which seems to be typical from other PB's we met with).
Prior to signing the contract, the PB gave us an estimate to budget for the plumbing cost for gas heater, and for the electrical.
The plumbing for gas estimate he gave us was a little higher than the plumber they referred us to, so that was good.

We finally got the estimate from electrician, and it was way higher than we expected (more than double), and we are going to consider other options.

Thanks in advance.

@Heavenlytunes @sonup2000
and anybody else from Long Island, or contacts here

Thanks in advance.
i have one he does lot electrical work pool companies I will PM you his info . he just did my neighbors pool. he knows all the electrical codes and whats needed for electrical inspection for pool.

I am too far away although we are close in the grand scheme of things. There are 100 companies in between us that I don’t know. :(

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.