New Build in NE FL

Your spirits are much better and that makes me so happy, I love the screen and how large it is, it's like a centerpiece for the property. You didn't ask a lot of questions , actually when I was at this stage I asked way more so you know how to reach me so ask anything that on your mind and I will do the best I can to help.
really happy they are making progress and it's getting close to water time

Well it was looking so good until I let the dog in and he then tried to run out of the screen full throttle and took out a whole panel :/

I was going to say that you will be lucky if your GSH pointer doesn't run through your screen. My brother lives in Ocala and his lab has created a few "paths" through his screen enclosure over the years.

Not much to update on.

Inspector came by today to check screen and it failed. One of the screws that attaches the tension cable to the footer snapped in half. What doesnt make either of us feel confident in this screen is that they used short, little screws for aluminum to attach the tension cables. Not concrete screws that have more tensile strength. So if this one little screw broke just by itself, what happens during a bad storm or God forbid a hurricane??? So yeah...

Clearly someone knew the inspector was coming so they dropped off the plans and permits in a baggie and when hubby went to show the inspector the screen that was popped loose, it was already repaired. So that's a positive.

One crate of pavers was delivered today from TM. I had messaged PB that 2 crates would be needed bc there are only so many pieces of each size per crate and I dont believe there will be enough large pavers to do both of my patios and fixed the damaged ones. But I guess when we run out, he will have to pay for even MORE shipping.

I did message him and ask when the delivery was going to be for the pavers and then if we were getting more travertine from the local store to go on the spa and wall coping so they match and he said yes, so we will see.

I still haven't received a call from the plaster guy to discuss our finish.

Oh.. Also - the issue with the led bubblers continues. First they were set too high when the dig was finished before shot crete. Then they discovered they are not only too high but Pentair and not Hayward so they had to switch them out. Then realized still too high. Changed again. Then electricians came out to install the light in them and the wrong size conduit was used when installing before shot crete so they had a Hayward rep out yesterday and it was determined they were going to have to order a different model type that will fit the conduit that is in the shell.

Seriously... We can't make this stuff up.

I believe we have the gas company coming out next week to run the lines and install the tank.

We seem so close but I made a list of the things still needing to be done and it seems like the closer you get, the more little details pop up.

I am at least relieved that PB did order more pavers from TM and didn't let the deck crew substitute a different paver in our deck so that does take some weight off.

Hubby has been using the stone cleaner on the deck and it just needs multiple applications bc the iron soaked into the pores of the stone. Slowwwwwly it is coming out.

TM has a brand of sealer they recommend for the travertine (Stonetech salt water resistant sealer) and I have read you have to use a type of sealer that goes down into the pores of the travertine and doesn't sit on top bc if it sits on top, it doesnt let water soak into the pavers and it becomes slippery.

When we looked up the recommended sealer from TM, and the coverage each bottle gives, it was going to cost close to $1000. Eek! But when the pavers are wet, a lot of the scratches are harder to see so along with making the pavers look even more beautiful, it also helps hide the blemishes.

What does everyone else use to seal and has used it to confirm it doesn't make the travertine slippery when wet? We want a sealer that will bring out the color and patterns like when the pavers are wet. Also, for those who have sealed travertine, did you do it yourself or pay for it to be done?

The screw just gave?? I would be calling them and asking about coming back out and replacing all of them...not good to have to worry about the storms we get!

Glad the iron stains are coming out. Slow and steady and they will come out without harming the stone.

Have you been working on "screens are NOT doorways" with the dogs LOL. I had to do it with one of mine. I have a couple of tricks that helped if you need them.

Kim:kim:

Not much to update on.

Inspector came by today to check screen and it failed. One of the screws that attaches the tension cable to the footer snapped in half. What doesnt make either of us feel confident in this screen is that they used short, little screws for aluminum to attach the tension cables. Not concrete screws that have more tensile strength. So if this one little screw broke just by itself, what happens during a bad storm or God forbid a hurricane??? So yeah...

Clearly someone knew the inspector was coming so they dropped off the plans and permits in a baggie and when hubby went to show the inspector the screen that was popped loose, it was already repaired. So that's a positive.

One crate of pavers was delivered today from TM. I had messaged PB that 2 crates would be needed bc there are only so many pieces of each size per crate and I dont believe there will be enough large pavers to do both of my patios and fixed the damaged ones. But I guess when we run out, he will have to pay for even MORE shipping.

I did message him and ask when the delivery was going to be for the pavers and then if we were getting more travertine from the local store to go on the spa and wall coping so they match and he said yes, so we will see.

I still haven't received a call from the plaster guy to discuss our finish.

Oh.. Also - the issue with the led bubblers continues. First they were set too high when the dig was finished before shot crete. Then they discovered they are not only too high but Pentair and not Hayward so they had to switch them out. Then realized still too high. Changed again. Then electricians came out to install the light in them and the wrong size conduit was used when installing before shot crete so they had a Hayward rep out yesterday and it was determined they were going to have to order a different model type that will fit the conduit that is in the shell.

Seriously... We can't make this stuff up.

I believe we have the gas company coming out next week to run the lines and install the tank.

We seem so close but I made a list of the things still needing to be done and it seems like the closer you get, the more little details pop up.

I am at least relieved that PB did order more pavers from TM and didn't let the deck crew substitute a different paver in our deck so that does take some weight off.

Hubby has been using the stone cleaner on the deck and it just needs multiple applications bc the iron soaked into the pores of the stone. Slowwwwwly it is coming out.

TM has a brand of sealer they recommend for the travertine (Stonetech salt water resistant sealer) and I have read you have to use a type of sealer that goes down into the pores of the travertine and doesn't sit on top bc if it sits on top, it doesnt let water soak into the pavers and it becomes slippery.

When we looked up the recommended sealer from TM, and the coverage each bottle gives, it was going to cost close to $1000. Eek! But when the pavers are wet, a lot of the scratches are harder to see so along with making the pavers look even more beautiful, it also helps hide the blemishes.

What does everyone else use to seal and has used it to confirm it doesn't make the travertine slippery when wet? We want a sealer that will bring out the color and patterns like when the pavers are wet. Also, for those who have sealed travertine, did you do it yourself or pay for it to be done?

Seal n lock method is the preferred application for travertine. You may add shark grip which provides a gritty top layer like sand to the touch. Most reputable sealing companies will not install without it. To be honest when wet travertine is very slippery no matter what is applied. No running rules are in effect[emoji41] here are before after pics of what your looking for.
8749de094a11fcd7607c00dc7a1ea2f1.jpg
d32c5bf51cee90f6b44c420e6160d906.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Apparently they came out this am and placed new screws and moved where the cables were attached. Some were screwed into the mortar bed the perimeter pavers were set in (the mortar bed that didn't adhere to many pavers) so I was shocked to find this out. Hubby believes the workers over tightened them and put too much torque on the screws which caused the failure. He went out and really tested every cable a lot and everything held. But it will be yet another thing to bring up to the PB.

What does everyone else use to seal and has used it to confirm it doesn't make the travertine slippery when wet?

You want to use a siloxane/silane-type water-based sealer. Stonetech is a good one. I like Prosoco products and would call them to be sure, but either of these should work:

Natural Stone Treatment WB Plus

Saltguard WB

They soak into the stone but still allow it to breathe. They do not make the stone slippery when wet and should not change the color or texture of it once dry. You can easily do it yourself, no big deal. These are pre-mixed. Just get the right amount for coverage and spray it on with a garden-style sprayer like you would use for Roundup. They have a working life of 7-10 years so you don't have to re-seal very often.

Thanks for those links. I really want a sealer that gives it the wet look as the look of the travertine when wet is stunning bc it highlights the variation in the colors. I found a post on here where someone gave a review about the Stonetech salt water one (same product TM recommends to seal with) and said it does not give the wet look so that was a let down. I have been trying to find water based/silane sealers and Stonetech was the main one. Ultimately, if the best sealer doesn't give the wet look then we will go with what functions best over looks. I was going to call Laticrete as I see they own Stonetech now and see what they say.

Onto pool progress...

Yesterday the coping guy showed up. I saw him setting up his station and then grab the travertine from the new crate that was delivered to fix the deck and for our door patios. We had to stop him and explain this travertine is for the deck only and we were told more travertine was supposed to be brought by from the deck company from the local store. Oy vey.

So he had to pack everything back up and leave and another day of no work. I had already confirmed with PB that more coping was being ordered from the local store (it looks completely different than the TM stuff) so yet again, lack of communication.

When we asked what he was going to do with the pieces he already sawed apart, leaving the bull nose butting up to a flat piece, he said he was going to cut the bull nose off and make sure all the pieces were the same width, place them on the spa, and then he would bull nose the edge himself.

My concern is we paid for the store to bull nose the travertine only for it to be cut off? This is all confusing. The first day this guy was out here, he showed us he would cut the pieces so there was a middle seam and he would cut it so the already bullnosed pieces would be inside and outside the spa. Not sure why he changed it.

Also, the bubbles continue to be a problem. Apparently they cannot make them work the the size conduit that was placed before the shell was shot so the construction manager was out here yesterday cutting a huge hole in the sun shelf to access the pipe to place a larger one. The concrete dust has now coated the deck and the entire screen. We had rain and barely anything came off. It is pretty nasty out there now and he isn't finished.

20414138_10212251551031145_2296195099828434482_o.jpg

Lastly, spoke to the plaster guy. He clearly was not happy that I was questioning why he does things the way he does and when I mentioned I wanted stonescapes mini pebble with the glass beads and abalone, he got very "firm" telling me that is not done. When I explained my friends in other areas of the country had mini and glass, he was all flustered. His explanation that mini pebble and glass beads were different sizes so when you mix them it doesn't work as well as regular pebble. He said they don't acid wash mini pebble like they do regular pebble? And said 40% of the glass would show in mini but 60-70% would show in regular bc of the size. So I was concerned about the roughness of regular pebbles so he met us at a pool he did with regular pebble and glass and then took us to a pool with just regular pebble. The one with glass added in was smoother. We then started discussing which color pebbles did we want to remove to add in the glass (you have to take out a bag of pebble to replace with a bag of glass) and he kept insisting that the pebble color does not effect the pool color and only the plaster color does. And while yes, the majority of the color comes from the plaster, the pebbles do effect the color and man he would not come off that at all. I ended up saying to remove 2 bags of white pebble and add 2 bags of blue glass but his logic doesn't make any sense about pebbles not effecting the color. If that was the case, why would each color have a specific mixture of each color???

Big Will has been super helpful and we chatted on the phone about the finish esp bc everything this guy said isn't done is what Will had done so it was confusing. The pics and pools we saw of his work were nice. And I get it. He is an alpha male and I was challenging him in a sense bc I questioned him and PB prob warned him that I asked a lot of questions and go online so he was on the offensive from the moment we spoke. When I would defer to him for a recommendation, like which color pebble to remove for the glass, he would just say it doesn't matter, which again was frustrating. He also is adamant that abalone shell is not to be mixed into the plaster at all. And the 2nd pool he showed us (this was regular pebble tropics blue with 1 bag of hand cast abalone), he kept saying look at all that abalone! And I'm like yeah I see it but I want more than this and boy, not happy with that. Kept saying he can't guarantee that it will look like more etc etc. So I finally said well you can try. And even better is you can let me hand cast it myself so when it doesn't look like I want, I am responsible. Ha. But he def didnt like me questioning him and I told him it is not personal at all but after every experience we have had with subs on this project, we are more wary and are going to ask more questions. Which we have a right to. He may not like it but should be willing to answer without getting his feelings hurt.

This is the regular pebble Tropics Blue with hand cast abalone
view_full_size

view_full_size

Omg it looks like they torn up your beach entry[emoji23] it sounds like the plaster man is not the right person to do your plaster. Perhaps you should ask the pb to recommend another plaster person. I remember when our pool was plastered our pb used an approved plaster person by marbletite to plaster our pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.