New build in Gilbert, AZ

The pool is 28'6" long and 15'6" wide except at the baja shelf where it is roughly 18' wide at that point. We are excited to see with water. The PB stressed that we need to wait a month if we want to complain about the water color. I had already read that on the forum, but it was nice to hear from him too.

hows the pressure of that application? i see they protected the pool tile, but mine sits close the house and wall. i dont need any of it on those! look forward to seeing the pic when you get home.

aham, I was only there a few minutes of spray (their setup was from 6:30am-7:30am and I needed to roll). Where I was standing taking the picture, a few pieces splashed by me, but not a lot. When I get home, I can let you know how much is on plastic covering deck. That said, they didn't tarp my fence like they did when they did shotcrete, so I don't think they expect there to be much over-spray.

The pucks are not a bad thing for a start up. They help push the pH down some AND adds CYA. Just keep a close eye on the levels and use Pool Math to see what each one does to the water as far as values.

Did you share the NPC (National Plaster Council) start up card with him? You should print it out and share it with your start up guy and see what he says. Also show him your awesome test kit. We have seen some members win over their PB/start up people by showing their kits and knowledge. Most are not used to a new pool owner knowing much of anything about this kind of thing.

Kim:kim:

I have not met the start up guy. My PB has someone hired that does it. The pool finish is sprayed and will be done tomorrow. It is hard to picture this will look good tomorrow, but I know from reading here and listening to PB it is normal. I am posting some pictures so people can see pre-acid washC3AA6302-665E-4CCB-82CF-90B39CD51363.jpg
F4F51E36-E7E5-4E26-A199-A4750D065E6E.jpg

466E0AC4-B0F5-4DC9-8153-A141215B78B4.jpg

We started filling the pool today. Exciting!! To remind any curious: we did radiant fusion with the blue frost color. We paid at time of application for some abalone shells to be hand spread at end. It looks good, but I am not sure it shows up with my phone pics.

D271F13B-BB38-4722-B5DE-04E8ED13E487.jpg

755948C4-B925-41F8-AABA-58FF30A587CF.jpg

Attachments

• 936DEC9D-2ABB-4397-9AA7-9A9D8D257F53.jpg
    936DEC9D-2ABB-4397-9AA7-9A9D8D257F53.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 114
Don't stop the water for any reason until it is halfway up the waterline tile!!!

That looks awesome!

Now remember it might have a hint of green in it and the true color will not show until the plaster cures and the water is balanced. A brushing you will a go! Try to twice a day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I brushed all weekend. But had no pump or skimmer. The startup is scheduled for this afternoon and I can start working on balancing the water and getting it clean. I will post elsewhere if I have questions on that. I will be less frequent in this thread until I get some landscaping and other construction related items lined up.

You can keep the landscaping and prettying up here. You can also keep the balancing here as well if you wnant or you can start a new thread in Just Getting Started.

That looks SO pretty! If that is the color now I can't wait to see it when it is cured and balanced!

I tested with my kit and was pleasantly surprised. (The temp is not 84). The CYA was low, but that should be expected since it was just added today. If anything, I worry it will be too high in 48 hours. I will check the pool daily for awhile.

my startup guy was pretty good. he said to avoid pool stores because they will have you add all kinds of chemicals that you don’t need. He said I basically need two things: chlorine and muriatic acid. He recommends I use liquid chlorine except in summer he said I should float pucks and add liquid chlorine as needed.

I recorded the conversation to refer back to as needed. I don’t understand some of the settings he had for my variable speed pump and heat pump, but I am just running constant for a bit with the new plaster and cya.

535D3C7D-06DF-4D27-BCD0-FBAEF6D314D1.jpg

That is some nice water there! What did they add for the CYA? Fill water does not have it in it so it has to be added. The liquid CYA is priced like liquid gold.

I LOVE that the start up guy was so up front about pool stores! I do have to say I disagree with using pucks long term any time of year as the only way to remove what they add (CYA or CH) is to drain and refill some of the water.

I agree on the pucks, I don't plan to use them once my initial CYA is in range. I don't know what he used for CYA; they had everything added before I got there and when I asked about stabilizer he said that he already took care of it. :( He did mention that the pucks would help "stabilize things" so part of me thinks he didn't add much because the pucks will add to it.

That is my main concern right now. They could have used a bunch of CYA powder that may not be dissolved and I will keep an eye on it. Also, I am not real sure I got the CYA test done right having been my first one and not in the sun. I tested last night and will again when I get home before dark; I am letting the pump run 24 hours right now.

If he poured it into the skimmer the cartridge will "catch" it and keep it from doing any damage to the plaster. It may take a couple/few days for it all to show up on the test.

CYA test-GLANCE that is the word that best tells how to look for the dot. GLANCE in then look away. Do NOT look for the dot or you will end up seeing it. I pour from line to line until I don't see the dot at a GLANCE. You can do the test over and over with the same mixture. Just pour it back and forth to get used to it or to have another person do it for you.

In Arizona CYA does degrade over the summer. So his statement of using pucks and liquid chlorine is not completely wrong. You can do that, with frequent testing, or just test and add CYA itself each month starting in May and through September.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.