New build in Gilbert, AZ

Oumagic

Bronze Supporter
Jul 26, 2018
Gilbert, AZ
My screen name is because I am from Oklahoma and still a Sooner fan. We have lived in Arizona for 20 years and have been in our current house 6 years that we built and saved space for a pool. We recently signed a contract to build a new pool and I have been coming here to learn about chemistry and equipment the last month or so. We are probably still 3-4 weeks from breaking ground but are getting approx. 90' perimeter gunite pool (28'x 15'; wider at shelf) that will be 3-5-4 depth (the 3 feet is a small area by the steps/bench. Geometric shape with a baja shelf and a number of benches. We will have a heat/cool pump (Pentair 140) and Pentair equipment except for the skimmer will be Hayward because my PB prefers that skimmer. No in-floor and we will run the included Rebel cleaner until it dies and switch to a robot. When it gets closer, I will create a signature and include some pictures as we build. I am going to try and post one rendering I snapped with my phone, but not sure it will work (landscape not included). If image does post, there is a bench the full width of the pool opposite the water feature and that is where the 3 feet depth is in the pool. If image does not work, I will research how to post pics here and come back and edit. I just wanted to stop by and introduce myself and say thanks.

P.S. I have been researching audio today. I have no audio outside and need to figure that out at some point. Inside, I only have a cheap soundbar (no receiver or speakers) so I am starting from scratch there. There is some good info on the forums, but a little over my head.

Attachments

• pool rendering.jpg
    pool rendering.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 514
  • pool render 2.jpg
    pool render 2.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 503
Last edited:
Re: New build in Gilbert, AZ

Thanks. I forgot to mention that we did have a pool we built in 1998 but sold that house in 2001. So I am not completely new to being a pool owner, but it has been awhile and a lot of the equipment has changed and that is what led me here.

Re: New build in Gilbert, AZ

89E4F96F-E08E-42AE-B59A-31AC205E3B05.jpg
We look to be starting excavation next week. I posted some computer rendered pictures in my introduction thread, but now it is getting real. I just wanted to start my own build thread that I can ask questions or advice as needed. Colors were picked today. Tahoe blue mini pebble with a grey-blue water line and some 1x1 porcelain tile for raised wall.

Last edited:
DONE! I really like your design! I think the 3' is needed on that side for the step and bench. Most of the time we say go at least 3.5' but with it being there and so small it should be fine.

I have just the guy for the audio! He loves this kind of stuff!

Kim:kim: (Jim.............oh Jim.........your help is needed!)

Howdy neighbor. :wave:

I just want to give you a couple of tips in regards to your yard and landscaping. Conduit conduit conduit! Did I mention conduit? Lol
While your yard is dug up, have them run conduit from your house(you decide where) to multiple locations in your yard. If you plan on adding audio to your yard, or low voltage lighting, or an outlet, having those conduit already there, will be a life saver. :cheers:

Welcome to the forum! :handshake:

On the chemistry side of things -- do you have a water softener for your home? If you do, you might consider getting a tap with softened water at your equipment pad, if possible. Using softened water for make up water due to evaporation will reduce your need to drain and refill your pool every couple years due to calcium buildup in the water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don’t have a water softener :(

That is a good idea on conduit. I will likely have to do it myself, because the contract is already done and not sure I can have them do anything else.

I exposed my irrigation lines and moved my low voltage line out of the way today and spent the last few days moving rock from where the pool will be to my front yard.

I have a friend that has a landscaping business and does lots of hardscape. I did minimal decking and no landscaping with the pool builder and will do that afterward. I have a lot of pavers already here that we will likely extend for a sitting area or may add more travertine. He told me to just get coping from pb but I decided to go ahead and have the PB do some minimal travertine.

amend the contract and have them run it if not comfortable. Run at least 1 inch to all the areas u think. u can get at least 2 pair of speaker wire in them easy. if u want the equipment in the house u might have to go 2 inch out of the house so it can hold more wire. i run 3 inch to my pool house and from pool house to where i need it 1 inch. the 3 inch held 20 wire each. whether it was speaker wire, camera wires, category internet data wire.

if it were my pool i would run speaker wire for 1 pair or maybe 2 pair of rock speakers. even if 2 pair of rock speakers i would run them off 1 unit. the easiest thing would be a sonos player. that way u have all the streaming services built into 1 box and it powers the speakers. the amp rating for a sonos player with the built in amp is not rated though for 2 pair of speakers. so if u did 2 pair of speakers then i would use something with more power. my choice is nuvo but u have to buy from a dealer. more money but can do everything sonos does but the amor is bigger. but if 1 pr of speakers then sonos is perfect. 1 box solution. app for control. if 2 pr of speakers nuvo again 1 box solution with app control. if u didn't want o go nuvo and dealer route then sonos with an external amp. a cheap one. nothing crazy to run the 2 pair. but i think 1 pair of rocks and u would be fine. for the pool. i don't know what else u got going on around the pool.

so u would locate the sonos in the house where u have internet hookup for it cause u would stream from it. pandora, spotify, you know. . . . then speaker wire would run out of house to locations all in conduit. very easy setup.

will u need better internet coverage for phones for control if outside? if so run a cat6 to the outside and attach a access point to the house where it will be covered and out of sun. i am really liking the ubiqui access points. i just added one outside. its awesome. lights up my whole back yard and part of inside my house now too. they r like 125 dollars.

just some things without knowing much. i can spend ur money anyway u want. lol

rocks r cheap. a pair of proficients can be like 200 a pair for the larger ones. wire is cheap. i would run at least 14 gauge unless ur runs are over 100 feet then i would go 12 gauge which gets more expensive quickly. we usually run 14 and call it a day and have had no issues with customers talking about head loss. the runs in my house are over 100 and i ran 14 gauge for all my zones. never had an issue. i ran 12 for my pool house cause i knew some runs were going to be over 200'. a sonos player is like 350 now i think. a nuvo unit is 600, but bigger amp. you can buy a larger amp for the sonos like i said for under 100 if u want.

just as a side note you will notice and others that i support certain brands. i will explain really quick cause it's not being a fanboy. by buddy's business before i was in the mix did naive and mostly russound. he always said how horrible service was. i came on board 15 years ago and said well why not nuvo. american company, new tech that was pulling from resound so i threw one in my apt. we liked it. support was better. i then but and went full tilt and onboard for nuvo. since that day that's all we do now cause their service is top notch. we get repair turn around in like 24 hrs. support is amazing in the field. so that's why. i also talk about proficient speakers a lot cause as a dealer we get mad mad buys on them certain times and i can pass that right onto a customer so i can give them way more for their money. i also push triad a lot as a high end brand because they are just the best money can buy for cheap to crazy expensive and hey are 100% an american company. they are custom build for our custom theaters which most other companies don't do. so that;s why i speak of the companies i do. yes there are tons of others out there, but that;s what i use and find works with the least amount of calls back from people.

Weekly update:
I have spent the last week or so moving rock from my new pool area to the front yard. Exhausting work, but got it done. I also got the drip lines all exposed and have dug up the valvebox for my irrigation because it needs to be moved. Layout was today; I was waiting on that to know exactly where I had to move the valve box and now I need to get it moved before excavation is supposed to begin on Friday. I gave the PB my first big check today.

I also became a Bronze supporter and ordered a discounted test kit from TFT. I ordered it early so that I can see what my fill water is going to look like. I have a few before pictures I snapped and will come back and edit/add to this post. Next week's update I should have a hole in my yard.empty spot for pool (2) 8-28-18.jpg
empty spot for pool 8-28-18.jpg

Last edited:
I just noticed in your signature. The Bioshield device is not effective. We have plenty of UV here in the desert. The tiny amount that device produces does little. If you really want to rely on a UV device, you need a commercial product that is many times stronger and many many times more expensive to buy and maintain.

See if the builder will give you credit for not installing the BioShield. Looks like the retail price is around $500+. Put that toward a SWG (IC40 or IC60). A SWG in our desert is much more appropriate than a UV device.

Also check what model number Easy Touch he plans to install - you don't want a 'Lite' version. If you go with the SWG, be sure the Easy Touch has the built in power supply for the SWG. At the very least, have the plumber leave room in the piping to add a SWG to the system at a future date.

A few more pictures. You can see why the valve box for grass has to be moved because that is the corner of the pool (steps). I appreciate all of the advice; I may not follow all of it, but I appreciate it
icon_smile.gif

layout 1.jpg

layout 2.jpg

Last edited:
amend the contract and have them run it if not comfortable. Run at least 1 inch to all the areas u think. u can get at least 2 pair of speaker wire in them easy. if u want the equipment in the house u might have to go 2 inch out of the house so it can hold more wire. i run 3 inch to my pool house and from pool house to where i need it 1 inch. the 3 inch held 20 wire each. whether it was speaker wire, camera wires, category internet data wire.

if it were my pool i would run speaker wire for 1 pair or maybe 2 pair of rock speakers. even if 2 pair of rock speakers i would run them off 1 unit. the easiest thing would be a sonos player. that way u have all the streaming services built into 1 box and it powers the speakers. the amp rating for a sonos player with the built in amp is not rated though for 2 pair of speakers. so if u did 2 pair of speakers then i would use something with more power. my choice is nuvo but u have to buy from a dealer. more money but can do everything sonos does but the amor is bigger. but if 1 pr of speakers then sonos is perfect. 1 box solution. app for control. if 2 pr of speakers nuvo again 1 box solution with app control. if u didn't want o go nuvo and dealer route then sonos with an external amp. a cheap one. nothing crazy to run the 2 pair. but i think 1 pair of rocks and u would be fine. for the pool. i don't know what else u got going on around the pool.

so u would locate the sonos in the house where u have internet hookup for it cause u would stream from it. pandora, spotify, you know. . . . then speaker wire would run out of house to locations all in conduit. very easy setup.

will u need better internet coverage for phones for control if outside? if so run a cat6 to the outside and attach a access point to the house where it will be covered and out of sun. i am really liking the ubiqui access points. i just added one outside. its awesome. lights up my whole back yard and part of inside my house now too. they r like 125 dollars.

just some things without knowing much. i can spend ur money anyway u want. lol

rocks r cheap. a pair of proficients can be like 200 a pair for the larger ones. wire is cheap. i would run at least 14 gauge unless ur runs are over 100 feet then i would go 12 gauge which gets more expensive quickly. we usually run 14 and call it a day and have had no issues with customers talking about head loss. the runs in my house are over 100 and i ran 14 gauge for all my zones. never had an issue. i ran 12 for my pool house cause i knew some runs were going to be over 200'. a sonos player is like 350 now i think. a nuvo unit is 600, but bigger amp. you can buy a larger amp for the sonos like i said for under 100 if u want.

just as a side note you will notice and others that i support certain brands. i will explain really quick cause it's not being a fanboy. by buddy's business before i was in the mix did naive and mostly russound. he always said how horrible service was. i came on board 15 years ago and said well why not nuvo. american company, new tech that was pulling from resound so i threw one in my apt. we liked it. support was better. i then but and went full tilt and onboard for nuvo. since that day that's all we do now cause their service is top notch. we get repair turn around in like 24 hrs. support is amazing in the field. so that's why. i also talk about proficient speakers a lot cause as a dealer we get mad mad buys on them certain times and i can pass that right onto a customer so i can give them way more for their money. i also push triad a lot as a high end brand because they are just the best money can buy for cheap to crazy expensive and hey are 100% an american company. they are custom build for our custom theaters which most other companies don't do. so that;s why i speak of the companies i do. yes there are tons of others out there, but that;s what i use and find works with the least amount of calls back from people.

Great info here. Outside sound is a must for my upcoming build. I am actually thinking about keeping the AMP/Receiver outside. Otherwise I am not sure where inside I could locate it to then run the wires outside. Any thoughts on that?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.