New build in Gilbert, AZ

Sorta fun that we have the same PB and our just a few miles (I think) from each other. They were at our house yesterday super early picking up equipment, but no work. Guess they needed it for your yard! Hopefully just a few weeks left for both of us.

My project manager seems to be been dealing with personal issues and I think that is why everything got out of wack. I was really worried when I got home last night that the masons were making some major mistakes due to miscommunication and I was (partly) correct. I asked PB to meet me at job this morning, but my proj. mgr said that he had to have surgery. I was able to meet masons at 6:30 AM to catch a few problems before they happened. I still think there is one problem that will happen regardless and that we will have to fix. The masons are doing great work but the miscommunication between them and PB has been too high even with me calling this week multiple times to warn them of my perceived errors that the tile/masons were on the way to making.

1. The block wall around equipment was important to be tan block because it needed to match my other walls and was not to be painted. After that mistake, PB said that we would paint it. Then as I was leaving, they were putting stucco on it which was not supposed to happen. I am not a big fan of the stucco block wall when everything else has no stucco. I am sure it will look fine when it is done.
2. The back wall is correct in height, but I believe it was supposed to be thicker. I could not get the mason to agree to correct that today. It was not supposed to be much thicker, in my opinion, but at least 12-18" instead of whatever it is now (I couldn't measure because I felt I was already upsetting the contractor). I will have to discuss with the PB and see where it goes.
back wall.jpg
3. The biggest problem is that they started putting the water line tile on face of raised wall. It is supposed to be the 1x1 tile. Contractor was upset because he said PB told him to put the 1x1 on the back of the wall. He said that it didn't make sense because no one would see it, but was doing what he was told. I was able to correct that (I think) before it got too out of hand
4. I had a brick border that was torn up during construction and that the masons were supposed to put back down. This was supposed to be a "free" extra and not in contract because they told me they would avoid tearing it all out when we signed contract. I asked the mason about it and he said that they could not reuse the bricks because they have concrete on the bottoms and he was going to use some pavers (that don't match). I told them not to put any bricks down; I will take care of it when I bring in a landscaper.
5. I am skeptical that I got as much travertine as I paid for and think the deck is a little smaller than I discussed. I will count the travertine tile and discuss with PB if my worries are confirmed.

Anyway, I am just sharing what has happened or happens during pool construction and not meaning to sound like a "debbie downer." The quality of construction has been great. Overall, the timing is within what I thought we scheduled and my family is going to love the pool. I have mostly been frustrated with communication break downs like people not showing up the day they say they will and not calling to let me know. I think the fact that my project manager left town for a week and now is going into the hospital has been a huge contributing factor to some of that miscommunication. He says that the surgery is being done today and that he will be back on jobsite on Monday. I have not seen my PM since shotcrete was done, but I have spoke/texted with him NUMEROUS times.

Yeah I can understand your frustration. IMO it’s very important to stay on top of whatever project you have going on, especially when there are subs involved. Miscommunication can and always will be a problem, but if you stay on top of it, things will work out.

bummer man. stay on top of them for sure! any construction project is stressful to watch. these pool guys are so busy right now. our PB guy told me he has 4 more digs started this week. yikes.

I have it in text and technically they were willing to do the block border but they wanted to use something that wouldn’t have matched so I declined their “favor.”

I have the tan block fence in the contract, but am not sure it is worth making them tear it down because it is gray and stucco.

i have in the contract how much travertine that they were to supply and will be counting that this weekend.

The pool is looking great; i just need to meet with the PB and iron some things out and I am confident it will all work out to my satisfaction.
A2E82FDE-3811-4090-8307-8B0B55C311A8.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Everything was wrapped up today. Just waiting on final inspection and then it is time to plaster.

I’ll have to do some extensive landscaping this winter and into spring, but that was expected. Closer picture of the travertine and what my future landscaping needs to address.
65E4B152-B332-4872-93F0-826FEB6C83C1.jpg

A0562C68-10A1-43C4-A6C3-77BDE30727FB.jpg

98DDF56D-0D19-4A6A-9A6C-83A7B361ECC7.jpg

88AA4F44-3243-4CE6-85A9-903DEE76729E.jpg

I was there for the start of the process, but had to leave for work. They are supposed to come back tomorrow to acid wash and they begin filling the same day. I will follow PB direction on everything with start up for warranty. Basic direction was once they start filling, don’t let it stop until midway up water line tile. Then pool startup is scheduled Monday and they add chemicals. He told me to follow pool starters advice and chemical balance for first month due to warranty and finish curing (because I mentioned TFP and how I was planning to sanitize).

If the pool starter wants to add anything funky, I will discuss with him. The Pb said all chemicals are there for start up and I saw liquid chlorine and muriatic acid, but didn’t get to look through everything. There was a small pail of something that I will need to see what it is. I hope it was CYA but it could be pucks because I saw a floating chlorinator in the box.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.