New build disaster. What can I do?

Jun 23, 2018
Dewitt, Arkansas
Our pool building process has been absolutely miserable. It was suppose to have been a 2 week project that was originally scheduled to begin March 10. A very wet spring led to delays, however, I was the one that had to constantly initiate communication every week or 2. After being put off for months, they finally showed up June 11 to dig. They show up maybe 8-12 hrs a week at best. Now, this is today. They came yesterday, completed plumbing and pulled a wrinkle out of liner. Still no electrician. No deck. What would you do? Is there any way at all for me to at least attempt to clean this without electricity to the pumps/pool yet?

Attachments

• EFE7E188-CA95-41AB-9F1F-D086A75B36DE.jpeg
    EFE7E188-CA95-41AB-9F1F-D086A75B36DE.jpeg
    799.6 KB · Views: 233
  • 46AFAF89-DB5C-42FF-82BA-CE9A04F1C1C2.jpeg
    46AFAF89-DB5C-42FF-82BA-CE9A04F1C1C2.jpeg
    684.9 KB · Views: 228
It's a shame your experience has been this way. But sure, it can be cleaned. Once the pool is actually running., you'll follow the SLAM Process using a TF-100 test kit. Start reading-up on that process now, have your test kit on order, and we'll coach you through it once it arrives. Hang in there.

Reactions: Chastiti
My electrician swore he could do the job in the 2 week window we gave him. Then he took 6 weeks due to being overbooked. He must have come 20 times for an hour. Spent more time driving back and forth to my house instead of being at my house. Hang in there Chastiti. Stuff happens on every build. Sorry you have stuff too, but one day you'll wanna laugh more than cry when telling the story.

Put a submersible pump in the water to churn it up and pour 5 ppm of LC in a few times a day. It may not clear it but should keep it from getting worse.

You have a test kit to test the FC and pH of the water?

Put a submersible pump in the water to churn it up and pour 5 ppm of LC in a few times a day. It may not clear it but should keep it from getting worse.

You have a test kit to test the FC and pH of the water?
No, we haven’t been given any kits yet. We were told when the pool is complete we get a pool-school class. We live in a very rural area. I could drive to pool store today. Is that what I should ask for?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Chastiti, get the TF-100 I mentioned earlier. The test kit you will receive by a builder will probably be a cheap, simple product that won't do everything you need. Read the SLAM Process now so that you understand what to do once the pump is running. As noted above, add a little bleach each day and stir it around (or get a submersible pump) to keep the green from getting much worse. You should also become familiar with the PoolMath tool. It's great. Just give it time. Using PoolMath, I entered 22K gallons and going from an FC of zero to 5 using 10% chlorine/bleach. It says to add 1 gallon and 2 cups. Adjust the gallon size as needed for your pool size, but that gives you an idea.

No, we haven’t been given any kits yet. We were told when the pool is complete we get a pool-school class. We live in a very rural area. I could drive to pool store today. Is that what I should ask for?

Order the TF-100 Splash recommended. While you are waiting get a pump going in the water and add chlorine daily. You are unlikely to get your FC too high adding 1 gallon of 10% LC a day. Once you get your kit start testing. You don’t want to get your FC too high to bleach the liner.

.... and that includes the water being clear.

That sounds like it could be an exercise in frustration with that PB.

Even good PB's don't know how to clear up algae properly. They can dump algeacides and other potions in the water and only make more of a problem.

Last edited:
Chastiti, get the TF-100 I mentioned earlier. The test kit you will receive by a builder will probably be a cheap, simple product that won't do everything you need. Read the SLAM Process now so that you understand what to do once the pump is running. As noted above, add a little bleach each day and stir it around (or get a submersible pump) to keep the green from getting much worse. You should also become familiar with the PoolMath tool. It's great. Just give it time. Using PoolMath, I entered 22K gallons and going from an FC of zero to 5 using 10% chlorine/bleach. It says to add 1 gallon and 2 cups. Adjust the gallon size as needed for your pool size, but that gives you an idea.
Getting ready
getting ready to order the TF-100 kit. Will I also need a salt test kit? Maybe I just need a shopping list! Lol ??‍♀️

I have what looks like same as exact pool. 20 x 40 with double roman end steps. From 3 1/2 ' deep to 6 1/2 ' deep end. I calculate out at 28000 gallons. Every season at opening i put in 280 pounds of salt. I get 7 bags from walmart for like $5 per bag and usually around 16 pounds of stabilizer. I usually put in 6 bags of salt to get started and 16 pounds stabilizer in socks. The i test as others have described.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.