New AGP owner

Ah I see. Thank you I’ll do that.

How do I get the water to be clear though? Does this have anything to do with the pH? All the other chemicals are in the TFP recommended range.

Sure. You can take that chance. If you still have resistive algae present, you will extend the time it takes to clear the pool if not following the SLAM process.

I think I'll start the SLAM as you recommended.. I've been working at clearing this pool over a month now..

So at my CYA level of 70, I need to bring up the FC to 28.. once the SLAM is done, would I have to wait until the FC level comes down considerably before I can start swimming in it?

The water looked a little clearer today after adding 4 gallons of bleach yesterday. Still cloudy but I can see the bottom a little better. I'm running the SWG 24/7 at 100% now..

I've read on other threads that higher pH can make the water appear less clear.. how much effect does it have on the clarity? I had some family members swim in the pool today and they seemed to think the water smells a little too chlorin-y. When I'm brushing the floor.. I do not really see any algae dusts anymore like it did before I drained the water. I'll report back on the water clarity tomorrow.

Btw, is anyone familiar with the Raypak heatpump? I have the R3350ti-e unit. I don't even know how to turn it on.. but the manual says the FC should be kept at 5ppm or less. How do people use a SWG with a heatpump if that's the case?

When the water comes out of the heatpump when it's on, does it come out pretty hot? Does that negatively affect the SWG in any way?

Post your test results. Water smelling chloriny is due to high CCs.

Manufacturers do not recognize the buffering effect of CYA in their chlorine recommendations. Their chlorine limits assume 0 CYA. You would not want FC 5 with 0 CYA.

Heated water coming out of a return feel warm, not hot. It does not affect the SWG.

SWG should be off if you are in SLAM!

More precisely you cannot judge the progress of the SLAM Process from the FC loss when the SWG is running. As the algae is reduced the FC loss should drop until you are around your normal daily FC loss.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I see. What if I can’t test the water frequently? I can only test the water once or twice a day due to my work schedule usually. I was hoping the SWG would help maintain the SLAM FC level to kill the algae.

The test result from this morning is FC 30 and TA 90. I forgot to test for CC but it actually doesn’t smell chloriny.

I see. What if I can’t test the water frequently? I can only test the water once or twice a day due to my work schedule usually. I was hoping the SWG would help maintain the SLAM FC level to kill the algae.

That is ok as long as you understand when to use the SWG during the SLAM Process

The Core35 will generate 28 ppm in a 10,000 gallon pool running at 100% 24/7. So it may look like you lost very little FC between tests when your SWG is adding a lot of it.

Your SLAM FC target at CYA 90 is 35. Why don't you drain some water and get your CYA down to 60-70? It will make the SLAM Process easier. Even drain 2/3 of your pool and get your CYA down to 30, do the SLAM Process, then add stabilizer to get CYA of 60-70. You don't need CYA of 90 in NJ.

What is the quality of your fill water?

Sorry the CYA level is actually at 70. I just decided to test TA this morning which was 90. Isn’t one of the criteria of ending the SLAM when the water is clear? I’m just hoping to get the clear water by maintaining the FC at 28 with the help of the SWG. I have big trees surrounding the pool that constantly sheds leaves and dead insects—do you think that contributes significantly to the chlorine demand? It’s been around 90 degrees in NJ.

The previous owner and the pool guy were running the pump 24/7 with three chlorine tabs in the skimmer all the time. It did maintain the pool crystal clear last year when I bought the house. Although the water smelled very much like chlorine at the time.

Sorry, read that 90 too fast.

Sand filters take a long time to clear water. Just takes patience. Keep your FC above 28. Run your SWG if you want until water is clear. With your SWG running if you don’t have rocket high FC then it means you still have algae consuming it at a good rate.

No, trees and insects don’t drastically effect FC usage.

Keep checking CC with FC.

So this morning, FC was 30.
Just now—around six hours later—it’s at 27ppm. I added a quart of liquid chlorine to bring it up a little. The SWG was running at 100% the whole time but it’s a sunny day and I went into the pool briefly (15-20 min). Do the numbers suggest there is algae in the pool? Subjectively, the pool does look a little clearer than last evening but the lighting is a little different now. I do feel I can see the robot on the floor more clearly.

Btw, my pump seems to be losing pressure randomly and it picks back up. When backwashes and clean, the normal pressure hovers around 18 psi. But when it loses pressure, it goes down to 10-12psi and can stay there a while. I see the return seems to give more air bubbles when this happens. Any idea how to fix this issue? Thank you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.