New AGP owner

What are unions?
bx9965-1500-A-490x490.jpg

Reactions: kimkats
Thank you guys.

So today, I tested the newly filled water ( still very green with algae) and the levels were:

FC 2.5
pH 7.0
TA 40
CYA 0 ( I think—- could still see the black dot on the bottom all the way up)

Should I use borax to raise the pH?

Is there an order to which the chemicals need to be added?

The pH is OK but the total alkalinity is too low. Raise the total alkalinity with baking soda and the pH will naturally rise. Target a total alkalinity of 70. Add 1/2 your calculated dose today. Retest tomorrow, and add the other half if necessary.

Raise CYA with the sock method by 30ppm.

Then proceed to SLAM.

pH of 7.0 is ok for the moment. Best way to raise pH is aerate the water.

With algae you will need to follow the SLAM Process and it instructs you to get your pH to 7.2 which is usually lowering the pH. In your case starting the SLAM process with a pH of 7.0 is ok.

You do want to raise your TA to 70 using baking soda. That will raise your pH a bit.

So follow the SLAM Process and add 30 ppm of stabilizer using the sock method. Then stock up on liquid chlorine and follow the SLAM Process to deal with your algae.

You can add stabilizer, baking soda and CL at the same time. Only chemicals you space out by at least 15 minutes are adding chlorine and muriatic acid.

I’ve been a little under the weather lately so I finally got to go to Home Depot to pick up some chemicals.
Around four hours ago, I poured 3 jugs of bleach, around six lbs of baking soda, and I put about 5 lbs of CYA in a cotton t-shirt (couldn’t find a knee high in my house) which is currently getting dissolved at the return stream.
Here’s the test results from just now.
pH 7.0 —> 7.6
FC 2.5 —> 12.5 (did I over do it?)
CYA still under 30..
TA 40 —> 70

Today was a pretty hot sunny day around 90 deg. The water looks greener than ever—its actually getting harder to see the robot on the floor.

What else should I do? Am I on the right track at all?

How many gallons are in your pool?

What are you trying to accomplish? Did you read the directions for the SLAM Process to get rid of your algae?

SLAM=keeping the FC as close to your SLAM level as much as possible. Every time the FC dips below SLAM level the algae can regroup.

Try for at least 4 FC tests and doses.
1.first thing in the morning
2. Right when get home (take off good clothes)
3. After dinner
4. Right before bed.

If you can sneak home at lunch then the SLAM will go even faster.

Leave the pump running 24/7 and brush at least once a day.

Kim:kim:

SLAM=keeping the FC as close to your SLAM level as much as possible. Every time the FC dips below SLAM level the algae can regroup.

Try for at least 4 FC tests and doses.
1.first thing in the morning
2. Right when get home (take off good clothes)
3. After dinner
4. Right before bed.

If you can sneak home at lunch then the SLAM will go even faster.

Leave the pump running 24/7 and brush at least once a day.

Kim:kim:
Hi Kim,

Thanks for the quick response.
So should I expect the FC level to continuously go down each time I test and replenish with liquid chlorine? The pool math app suggested to SLAM and target for FC =10ppm. Is that what I should be doing?

If you are going to follow the SLAM Process the first step is lowering your pH to 7.2. So I don't know why you raised your pH to 7.6.

Check and adjust the PH to between 7.2 and 7.5. The PH test isn’t reliable during SLAMing so make sure to take care of this before you start.

pH tests with FC above 10 are unreliable. So you need to let your FC drift down below 10 then follow the SLAM Process step by step with no shortcuts.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Oh I see. The pH got raised when I was adjusting for the TA level with baking soda. So should I bring pH down by adding muriatic acid for the SLAM process to work better? Thanks!

Oh I see. The pH got raised when I was adjusting for the TA level with baking soda. So should I bring pH down by adding muriatic acid for the SLAM process to work better? Thanks!

Yes.

So should I expect the FC level to continuously go down each time I test and replenish with liquid chlorine? The pool math app suggested to SLAM and target for FC =10ppm. Is that what I should be doing?

The algae will eat the FC as will the sun so you do need to test and replenish with liquid chlorine at least 4 times a day until your pool is clear as gin!

The pump has been running 24 hours a day but the return doesn’t seem to be pushing any water out now. Is it because there are too many debris in the filter? How do I fix this? Thanks!

Thanks guys!

I performed backwashing today and the return jet seems to be working fine.

Today’s test results:

FC 13ppm
CYA 40
pH 7.2

The pool math app says the SLAM value should be 16. Is this correct? am I supposed to add more? Why is my FC value not going down?

Also, I have a SWG coming soon. Should I compete SLAM before installing the unit? Is it okay to dissolve salt during the SLAM process?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.