New Above Ground 24x54-WHERE DO I EVEN START

Merged threads - TFP Mod
Hi guys! I’m new to this so please excuse me. So today I got my test kit and tested the chlorine. It was a 3 this morning. Tonight I tested again and it didn’t even turn yellow at all! I mean it never even changed color. It was just plain clear like a 0. I know the lowest color is a .5 but it wasn’t even that. My pH was low so I did add 4 boxes of borax because the pool app told me to do that. Does that eat the bleach up? Or is this normal? I’m still a little lost. I just added bleach tonight but I’m wondering will I have to add this much every single day. Or have I done something wrong. I’m so lost!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Use muriatic acid to lower pH into the 7's. Enter pH of 8.2 in Poolmath with a target of 7.6. Add the acid, circulate for 30 minutes, and retest pH and TA. Repeat until your pH is in the 7's.

How is the water clarity? If good, follow the FC/CYA Levels for your CYA. Add liquid chlorine EVERY DAY to keep FC in target range.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK -- the Kleen Strip I think is 20%. So you would increase your volume of acid by 33% over what Poolmath tells you to add of the 31.45% acid.

Dry acid is not our favorite but in your pool will not cause issues. Just do not over treat. Add in small amounts and test after the pump runs for awhile. The FC is the most important thing to maintain. So do not wait on that.

Reactions: Mlindsleye
Post a pic of the ingredients, along with any percentages, on the label of your Kleen Strip muriatic acid.
If it's the "green" offering, it's 20% - not 31.45%/20 Baume.

Yes it does. I will attach a picture of the label. I wanted to ask one more thing. My FC is low according to the CYA chart. Do I go ahead and and the bleach even though it’s sunny and hot? Or do I wait until tonight. I’m sorry I’m asking so many questions. I’m really trying to understand but I’m not there yet. I apologize!!! I can’t thank you enough for all of your help!!

Attachments

• 3EA19584-8E25-4A7B-BCA2-2A8361F510B6.jpeg
    3EA19584-8E25-4A7B-BCA2-2A8361F510B6.jpeg
    252.8 KB · Views: 9
Add Chlorine Now! Never let the FC drop below minimum as per the FC/CYA Levels

That acid is 20% muriatic acid.

From my earlier post ----
The FC is the most important thing to maintain. So do not wait on that.

Reactions: Mlindsleye
Ok I added 8 cups of chlorine today. Right after I talked to you. Just checked my results again and chlorine still dropping. I have put In a lot of muriatic acid too. I’m thinking possibly 8 cups and I’m still at 8.2!! My PH won’t budge!!! Am I doing something wrong? The whole reason it’s so high is because the pool math app told me to add 4 boxes of borax because my ph was so low two days ago. I’m lost!! I’m going through chlorine like candy. Is this normal? I’ve already been through 3 gallons and I just got my pool a few days ago!!!

Also I’m a little confused. On my pool test instructions it says my TA should be around 100-120 but on my pool math app it says ideal is 60-80.

FC 1.5
CC .5
TA 110
CYA 20
PH 8.2

No way did Poolmath say to add that much Borax. Your data entry must have been invalid. That much Borax raised your pH quite high.

Keep adding acid to lower your pH.

The higher TA range is assuming you are using trichlor pucks for chlorination. That is not a TFP method of chlorinating on a daily basis so the ranges we have are lower.

Add 10 ppm more of CYA. A 40-50 ppm CYA in your climate will slow FC loss. But do expect around 4 ppm FC loss per day. That is about a half gallon of 10% bleach per day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.