New 21' Resin AGP Equipment Check

cousinjerry

Jul 9, 2020
Ontario
Hi all,

We were lucky enough to grab one of the last 21' above ground pools available in the area (Ontario) and is being delivered tomorrow. It's a complete resin Aqua Leader pool. Now I'm getting worried about equipment availability so I'll need to get on it quickly.

Here's the equipment I'm planning on -
Pump - Hayward SP57152 2 speed
Filter - Hayward C150SC Cartridge
Heater - Raypak 105k or 150k natural gas
Sanitization - Hayward AquaTrol SWG

Any issues you could foresee?

One thing I can't wrap my head around is the controls. I don't really want to run my pump 24/7, but how do I interlink the SWG and heater with the pump? The actual automation systems are so expensive that I'm trying to find a way either with timers or my existing SmartThings home automation system.

Thanks in advance for any insight you may have. This is all new to me!

Thanks for the heads up on the unions and valves, I'll be sure to include them.

Would it be a good idea to just have the pump, SWG and heater only running say, between 7am and midnight? On the plus side, the heater will run while we would typically be using the pool but on the downside the pump would be running during peak electricity times... At least is a 2 speed pump I guess?

Running a 2 speed on low shouldn't make a significant rise in electric use. If you get a price break for running at off peak hours then that would be a good time to run the pump and SWG. Would you need heat all season or just to extend your season?

The heater will run likely most of the year. Here in southern Ontario, the temperature still dips pretty low at night which I think will cause the pool to loose a fair bit of heat.

I haven't heard any real issues with my equipment selection so I'll go ahead with the major parts.

Thanks for you comments zea3!

Reactions: zea3
I’m just not up to speed enough regarding using timers or other automation options besides the standard issue (and expensive) OEM ones. I’ll add a link to this post with a long DIY automation thread. It may lead you to understand why most go with an out of the box system. Your head will either agree with their logic/abilities or explode trying to understand it.

My new automation system.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.