Nervous and excited about my first AGP install

My latest pictures on the deck really shows off our most recent efforts. We've finished the decking boards on the lower deck, we got about half the handrails installed, and we built a nice bench on the far side where it will out of the way of the gate and pool steps. I was very happy with the way that handrails for the stairs turned out. I love the decking boards that we used for the top caps. My SIL cut every single corner with a 45 degree chamfer and routed them off smooth so it really looks professionally done.

So now that we've finished putting down all the boards on the lower deck, my wife says to me, "I think if we don't replace the decking on the upper deck, we will regret it later". So of course, me being the accommodating husband that I am.... I go out and buy new decking boards to begin replacing EVERYTHING. My best guess is that we probably have 1-2 more days worth of work before it is as complete as it's going to get. I'll have to wait at least 2-3 months before I stain and seal it to be sure all the PT lumber dries out as much as possible. And I have a good idea how to "trim out" the step down from upper deck to lower deck but I need to test it before deciding for sure.

Ok, enough talk. Here are the pictures. (in the picture with my puppies, I promised my sister-in-law I would edit her out of the foreground so that's why you see the static)

IMG_0701.jpg

IMG_0702.jpg

IMG_0703.jpg

IMG_0704.jpg

WOWZER!!! That does look professional! Nice touch on the rails!!!

You and your help have some mad skillz!!!!

Love that bench. That will be the purrfect place to sit and put shoes on and off or time out LOL

Kim:kim:

Nicely done. That looks great.

Deck looks great. Nice touch on the static human... lol.

Thanks Chuck, thanks Dave.

I'm going to try to work on it some more this weekend but my SIL said he's got some previous obligations so I'll need to put on my thinking cap and try to mimic his techniques as much as possible without him there. I've got a few neighbors with some pretty decent construction SKILLZ so I may have to call a work party and just provide lots of hops and barley beverages as compensation. I'll try to update with more pictures early next week.

Hey, maybe I'll try to get my new drone out, charge it up and take some aerial photos. That might turn out pretty decently.... Hmmmmmmm. :rolleyes:

MrB not sure if this thread is still active but I have a question about your pump... if you or anyone else could answer for me... Your sig shows that your running a Pentair Dynamo 1.5hp pump which if I'm not mistaken is an Above Ground Pool Pump Correct? So I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how they were able to 90 the skimmer line up into the pump? I know with my Hayward powerflo matrix it is fed by gravity or wont work if it doesn't flow straight down into the pump... Are all above ground pumps not the same? Am I missing something?

Sorry don’t mean to invade on your thread it was just an observation off of one of the pics I saw that you posted and it didn’t work for me when I tried it... But that’s a topic for another time.... Mr B Very good looking pool and very good job on the deck... I bet you and the family are enjoying it as we do ours... [emoji1303]

Nice job on the deck for sure. I have left our PT board deck natural for the last few years now. The previous one was painted and we hated it for the maintenance required. No matter what brand paint/stain, how well we cleaned the boards, etc., it always started coming off after a couple months, and then by spring I needed to repaint the entire thing again. No when I built our deck extension, I changed out all the top boards, and have left them go natural. I pressure wash it once a year though, that cleans up a bit.

edit: I should clarify the parts that were peeling were only the top of the boards where the sun and water was the most intense on. Up here, the sun is very intense and things bake pretty good somedays.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry don’t mean to invade on your thread it was just an observation off of one of the pics I saw that you posted and it didn’t work for me when I tried it... But that’s a topic for another time.... Mr B Very good looking pool and very good job on the deck... I bet you and the family are enjoying it as we do ours... [emoji1303]

I'm sorry, I'm not too familiar with HOW the pumps work but my above ground pool installer asked me if I wanted to pay the extra money to have all the lines put in using PVC and I immediately said yes. But yes, there are 3 pieces of 90-degree fittings on my skimmer line going into the pump and I've never had any problems with the little one-and-a-half horse power pump getting the water into my filter and back up to my pool. I'm really happy with my Dynamo pump so far.

Nice job on the deck for sure. I have left our PT board deck natural for the last few years now. The previous one was painted and we hated it for the maintenance required. No matter what brand paint/stain, how well we cleaned the boards, etc., it always started coming off after a couple months, and then by spring I needed to repaint the entire thing again. No when I built our deck extension, I changed out all the top boards, and have left them go natural. I pressure wash it once a year though, that cleans up a bit.

Darrel, I've been researching all kinds of stains and wooden pool deck paints for the past week or two and have not had much luck at all. Everything I look up has pretty awesome reviews and then some pretty HORRIBLE reviews. I'm not looking for some miracle stain that will last 10 years but I don't want anything that will peel in 12 months either. I've searched through TFP for what folks here have used and found some pretty decent stuff. Like, Chuck used some CWF stain that looks really good.

(see comment #11) https://www.troublefreepool.com/thr...nions-Wanted?p=1424356&viewfull=1#post1424356

But I'd like to have something bring out the natural grain of the wood because some of my boards really are beautiful pieces.

The CWF stain does a good job of bringing out the grain and it can't "peel". Its an oil based penetrating sealer/stain so it's can't really peel but it will fade in the sun and as the wood gets warn down by foot traffic. As years go by and you add repeated coats the color and finish become much more stable as the wood absorbs more and more of the product.Another good choice and it's been around forever is regular old Thompson Water Seal. You can get it as a clear product that should leave the wood with a "wet look" finish. It doesn't change or add any color to the wood. Again since this is a penetrating oil sealer it won't peel but the finish will fade over time. Any PT deck should weather and dry for about a year before staining or sealing the wood. The PT wood needs time to dry and shrink before the wood will really accept the finish.

I finally got my surfboard towel rack installed this past weekend. I mounted it about 5 feet off the deck so my wife mentioned I MIGHT want to put another 2 hooks much lower down so little ones can use it also.

And, in my tradition of overthinking things, I tried to figure out how people would want to use items like this so I figured the best place to put it would be 3-4 feet from the pool steps because the first thing that they will reach for it a towel or coverup. If you back up and look at the 3rd picture I posted in comment #61, you can see the place I installed it, underneath the red umbrella.

I'm still working on the handrails and need to build a gate with self-closing hinges and a magnetic lock at the top (so my little g-kids can't get access without our knowledge). I also think Chuck has talked me into getting the CWF stain in maybe October or November. If my deck looks half as good as his does when I get it done, my wife will be flipping over backwards with GLEE. I'll try to work on it more this weekend but without my SIL at the scene, progress has slowed down dramatically.

IMG_0711.jpg

Got a little more hand railing done over the past two days. Still haven't tackled the gate yet but I have a good idea what I'll be building once I get the supplies over at Home D-pot. I had some trouble getting all the little deck boards installed vertically for the transition between upper and lower deck but after trimming half of them about 1/2 inch shorter, they seem to all fit nice and snug. I was quite pleased how sturdy my single step was as my last project of the day. Still trying to decide if we need a hand rail for that one step. Wife says no. The perfectionist inside me says yes, on both sides. LOL

IMG_0740.jpg

Looks great!

I vote no handrail. :stirpot:

When you say handrail by the step what do you mean? I could see MAYBE a nice, sturdy, big post that matches the other big posts on the other part. But as far as a "rail" nope. It will clutter the deck up.

I think y'all are right. I gave it more thought and I think I like it the way it is right now. A short handrail would simply be in the way.
Thanks. :-?

Finally got the whole deck stained using the Flood CWF stain from H.D. It was only $20 per gallon but I ended up using 3 buckets after the 2nd coat and doing all the hand rails. Thanks again @CJadamec for the advice on the brand. I'm probably going to try to re-stain it each spring just to be on the safe side. Here is the AFTER and BEFORE pics for comparison.

Reactions: splashpad

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.