Nervous and excited about my first AGP install

That looks great they did a good job for you. The install looks perfect. Told you it would be quick. To be honest I think a sand call cove is better than foam as well but its not as easy to do for a home owner.

Just tell the wife all that plumbing will be hidden be the awesome deck you are going to build.

Congratulations on the awesome new pool, I like the darker liner as well.

Great install. I had a similar pile of dirt to dispose of.
Some of it can be used to backfill around the base to keep the sand from washing out. Do that urgently. One good rainstorm can do it.
You have all that dirt in a pile, I’d burry the pipe and seed it over. Keep it from getting kicked, walked on and possibly broken. In a perfect world, they would have dug a trench for you.
You may want to mod the pipe work anyway with some valves for maintenance.

Great install. I had a similar pile of dirt to dispose of.
Some of it can be used to backfill around the base to keep the sand from washing out. Do that urgently. One good rainstorm can do it.
You have all that dirt in a pile, I’d bury the pipe and seed it over. Keep it from getting kicked, walked on and possibly broken. In a perfect world, they would have dug a trench for you.
You may want to mod the pipe work anyway with some valves for maintenance.

That's a great idea. It's in a remote, back corner space so I don't think it will get walked around much but dirt and grass would make it look 2x better for sure.

That looks great they did a good job for you. The install looks perfect. Told you it would be quick. To be honest I think a sand call cove is better than foam as well but its not as easy to do for a home owner.

Just tell the wife all that plumbing will be hidden be the awesome deck you are going to build.
Congratulations on the awesome new pool, I like the darker liner as well.

Thanks. She didn't get as worked up about the "plumbing" as I thought. She was just thrilled that it had 6 inches of water in it by the time she got home from work.

So, here is my solution to the problem of the 16" trench that needed to be dug out in order to make my floor surface level.
I bought two 10ft sections of perforated pipe from Home Depot, connected it to a 50ft length and ran it through a trench
I dug out going downhill to my grandkids play house. I've got a few yards of river stone being delivered on Saturday
to fill the trench around the pool and make it look nicer. Hopefully, the Mrs. will approve of the look and heavy downpours
of rain will not make huge puddles collecting at the base of my steel walled pool. LOL

IMG_0547.jpg

IMG_0549.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Don't forget your bonding loop around the pool.
Yes, thanks Chuck. I had not forgotten. Luckily, the installers added the bonding clamp to my PVC pipe on Tuesday and my electrician said he's done a few of them so he is familiar with the procedure. I'm going to help him dig down 6-8" about 18" away from the pool wall so he can bury the copper wire. He said it needed to make contact to the pool wall at least 4 places and loop back to the bonding clamp. Basically, where the dirt was NOT disturbed much from the install, I'll need to dig.

Sounds about right.

There is a trick to make the digging easy for that wire. Simply take a square shovel and push it into the ground 6" and tilt it back and forth until you have a narrow trench you can stick the wire into. There's no need to dig anything more than that. You can almost get away with just putting the wire on the far side of that trench next to your drainage pipe.

Got the pump running last night. The electrician came over and worked for about 3 hours and got the exterior outlet installed. He said he would be back to do a "convenience" outlet and the bonding before I need to call the county to do the final inspection. So I ran my sand filter all night just to be sure all the junk that has built up over the past three days got thoroughly filtered out. So far, the water is nice, clear and blue.

TFPC rocks, y'all.

First full weekend with my TFP open. Oh my, what a complete and total BLAST we had for the past two days. Between the neighbors, the grandkids, the wife and my kids, I think we had about 10 people enjoy the pool at one time or another. Now that my CYA level is much higher, I didn't have to dump bleach in the darned thing every couple of hours! LOL

As you can see by the pictures, I've installed several of the safety fence sections now and I really like how they look. And, I was able to dump about 2 cubic yards of river rock in my trenches around 3/4 of the pool so far. The final cosmetic improvement I made this past weekend was the little resin partitions around the filter and pump. I intentionally placed it two feet away because my wife suggested planting some ivy to grow over the pickets later this summer or fall. I think it'll look really nice once that begins to grow.

About the only real pain of my setup right now is the plank that we need to cross to get into my pool. I've attached several 2x4s and covered it with a blue towel just to keep it safe and comfortable. But once the deck is extended, this will be tossed to the side!

IMG_0561.jpg

IMG_0564.jpg

IMG_0570.jpg

Last edited:
The previous owners of our house built the deck over the pump/filter and it is definitely NOT convenient. I would rather it be out in the wide open for everyone to see than under there. Trying to hard plumb it was super fun:rolleyes:
I hear ya, JenMichelle. In other words, I should be grateful that my PVC, pump and filter are in the wide open spaces and very accessible. It is surprisingly quiet while it's running. I'm expecting my Intermatic timer later this week. I wonder if it's better to run the pump during the day, evening or overnight.... Hmmmm. :confused:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.