My pool won't hold ANY chemicals! NONE! HELP!

raeben23

May 24, 2020
Mt. Olive New Jersey
Hi everyone, I'm a relatively new pool owner (fourth season) and my husband has always been the pool guy. He's very experienced and worked for a pool company for years, but we recently came upon a perplexing problem. No matter what volume of chemical we add in our pool (all chemicals, not just chlorine), the test strips come up zeros/minimum in every level. We've bought new test strips over and over but always get the same result. My husband and his uncle (owner of a pool company) say that sometimes this happens and the water just doesn't take the chemical.....but how is that even possible? Where does it go? I've tried to find answers, but all anyone talks about is not holding chlorine- and this is way worse that that! We'd like to avoid replacing all of our water, so We'll take any help we can get! Thanks for reading!!

Welcome!

We don’t put much stock in test strips here. They just can’t be as accurate as you really want them to be even when they do work.

We follow procedures that allow you to know exactly what’s in your water. To do that you really need to get a FAS-DPD test kit, like the Taylor K-2006C or the TFT-100. They cost about $100, but if you stick around, we’ll show you how to take care of your pool without special expensive chemicals from the pool store and you’ll save way more than that in a few months. :)

How does your pool look? Would you be willing to take some photos of it? Also if you could fill out your signature with your pool and equipment info (like mine, if you use a phone turn it sideways to see the signatures) it will help us with our recommendations.

Again, welcome! :)

Like Dustin said you need a GOOD test kit. We call those strips "guess" strips for this very reason. If you don't want to get a big test kit you can get a HTH 6 way test kit at Walmart that is better than the strips for right now.

Reactions: splashpad

You have realized what your husband, with all his experience has not, and that is, that the chemicals have to go somewhere.

I suggest that you read though our Pool School and see what we are all about. We use Science and accurate testing to determine what chemicals are in our pools and then only add what is required.. We also don't believe in most of the "magic" chemicals sold in pool stores that promise a quick fix.

Most pool techs use the pour and hope technique... The sad part is that it works often enough to fool most pool owners.. :mrgreen:

Tell us more about how your pool looks now and what chemicals you have recently added.

Do you test for CYA and if so, what level is it now?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Wow! Thank you everyone for your replies! I have updated my signature with pool details, but they are....
22K gallons, IG vinyl, hayword progrid DE3620, 1hp Hayward superpump.
We will purchase a better test kit ASAP and hopefully have better numbers for you all soon.
Since we have opened the pool 1 week ago (again all test strip readings were 0/minimum) we have added :
15lbs alkalinity
4lbs pH up
2.5 lbs CA hardener
8lbs CYA stabilizer
Initially shocked it with 2lbs, added 8oz algicide
Has had 3 chlorine tabs (HTC brand) in the filter since.
If it means anything, when we moved in and opened for the first time 4 years ago, we added over $300 in chemicals from pool store testing results....its been tough to keep in check every year, but this year is the worst. Thanks again everyone!
53736.jpeg

53734.jpeg

Attachments

• 53734.jpeg
    53734.jpeg
    293.1 KB · Views: 2

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
THE RESULTS ARE IN! We received our Taylor test kit- here are the results you've all been waiting for ?
FC, CC (FAS-DPD): both 0.5ppm
CYA: so unbelievably high there is no numerical comparison.....so I attached a picture below. We also repeated this twice to be sure
pH: too low for a numerical read- picture attached. Also took a sample to a pool store to try and get a numerical value, they said it was 6.4
TA: after adding the appropriate reagents, it immediately turned red, never green. I'm guessing that's not good....(Also repeated twice)
CH: 50ppm
53904.jpeg
I have a feeling this means we'll be doing a water swap! Thanks again for all of your input- this group is incredibly helpful and generous!

53906.jpeg

OUCH! Yeah time to start draining and refilling!!!

Can you help us out? Please fill in your siggy so we can know the details of your pool at a glance? Click on your name and it should bring down a box that has signature in it........kind of pool-in or above ground, plaster or liner, filter kind and they wonderful test kit you have! THANKS!

You definitely need a major drain and refill. Try redoing the CYA test again with a diluted sample. Use half pool water and half tap water for your sample and run the test like normal. Don't forget to double your result. If you are still below the 100 line, then you can do a second dilution test. one part pool water, 2 parts tap, and multiply result by 3.

OUCH! Yeah time to start draining and refilling!!!

Can you help us out? Please fill in your siggy so we can know the details of your pool at a glance? Click on your name and it should bring down a box that has signature in it........kind of pool-in or above ground, plaster or liner, filter kind and they wonderful test kit you have! THANKS!
Thanks! Sorry I thought I had put my signature in, but I guess I put it in the wrong spot haha

You definitely need a major drain and refill. Try redoing the CYA test again with a diluted sample. Use half pool water and half tap water for your sample and run the test like normal. Don't forget to double your result. If you are still below the 100 line, then you can do a second dilution test. one part pool water, 2 parts tap, and multiply result by 3.
Thanks so much! We'll check the dilution and see what we find!

I did the dilution sample tests (multiple dilution strengths) and the average CYA is 200. Given we have a 22k gal pool.....looks like we're pretty much doing a full drain and refill. Does that sound correct? We've already called to schedule a water delivery, but with Covid circumstances they are closed until June 1st. Is there anything else we should be doing or watch out for until we can do the water swap? Thanks again!

Your issue is a vinyl liner pool. You can only drain it down to leaving 12" or so in the shallow end. It will take at least two times of draining, refilling, mixing, and repeat to get CYA down to 50+.

Reactions: bzlytbeer

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.