"Old" Katy, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
First let me say I opposed the whole idea of a swimming pool, suggesting the same money put into a vacation fund would be my preference. We have grown children with only two grandchildren living in the area, and they're both 13, so they're already in the process of phasing over from being kids to being teenagers. Anyway, I lost the argument, as my wife said she'd rather work another year to pay for a pool. So here we went almost a year ago talking to pool people. (I think I'd rather shop for aluminum siding!) As of now, March 13, these are the mistakes I am pretty sure of, but I fear there will be more. I just thought if I could save someone else making my mistakes, I should do so.

Did these things wrong:
* Selected a pool company owned by a fairly young couple. Felt like they would try harder so as to get a good reputation. In the words of Pretty Woman, "Big mistake. Huge." Let a month of good weather in spring go by before starting. Inadequate supervision of subs. Poor knowledge of local city codes resulted in delays, failed inspections and conditionally passed inspections. Did not know all the capabilities of the automation installed or how to work it (see Pentair support to the rescue below.) Failed to mention some things that are inexpensive up front but impossible or more expensive later--examples: umbrella holders in the decking; extra yard drain behind pool. Wrote first check May 15. Pool filled Sep 30 (but not all equipment working yet.) Final city inspection passed Dec 5.

* Pool is too deep. Six feet at deep end. I wanted five feet for safety--that is, so I could stand anywhere in the pool, vastly aiding any lifesaving incident. Also going from 3.5 to six feet is a pretty steep slope. Wife wanted six feet. We got six feet.

* Pressure side pool cleaner instead of modern electric robotic/remote control cleaner. Pentair Kreepy Krauly Platinum is unimpressive beyond my imagination. It also requires a booster pump, and the booster pump also requires that the main filter pump be running at 2800 rpm or better in order to prime. So, mediocre cleaner, extra pump, more plumbing. For only a little more--or maybe even the same or less--we could have had a superior pool surface cleaning system.

We did these things right (I think):
* This is a new house in a small subdivision built on an old cow pasture, so there were -0- existing trees. We had a landscape architect draw a plan for us including provision for a pool. He put in primarily evergreen ornamental trees like holly and wax myrtle (the Live Oaks are in the front yard) in order to minimize the leaves in the pool. He also suggested a pool builder which we did not use. [still kicking self]

* Pentair Intelliflo VSF variable speed filter pump. Works in conjunction with Intelliconnect automation to make the otherwise tedious programming, starting, stopping, and freeze protection a breeze. It is also very low power consumption and very low noise at 2000 rpm or lower. I have 2 A/C units and a standby generator on the same side of the house as the pool equipment. If either A/C unit is running, I cannot hear the filter pump. (Of course, if the standby generator is running its weekly exercise, I can't even hear the A/C units!)

* Pentair equipment. Frankly I don't know about long term reliability or durability. What I do know is that Pentair customer support is the best I've encountered in any consumer product. When my pool guy couldn't get the IntelliConnect to get the booster pump and water feature pump to work with the Intelliconnect box...AND was not even aware that the Intelliflo pump came with an RS-485 serial cable to connect it to the IntelliConnect box, Pentair's Brian Boothe came to the rescue. Then when all was connected and the Link2O app couldn't see the Intelliflo pump, he talked me though the settings on the pump to get it seen by the App. He also pointed out that I could get my Pentair heater to work with the IntelliConnect as well, and he assisted with demystifying the automatic Freeze Protection that turns on all the pumps when the temp drops to 38 degrees and leaves them running until the temp rises to 43. In short, Pentair compensated for shortcomings, and lack of knowledge of the equipment, of the plumber, the electrician, and the swimming pool contractor. Other manufacturers may be as good, but I have no experience with them, and I've never dealt with any manufacturer who had American technical support who would take the time to help as Pentair did.

As I said, we probably did other things wrong, but we haven't had a full pool season yet, so there are likely more surprises ahead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds to me like you did just fine. Keep your eye out for robot cleaner sales or bargains and pick one up when its a good deal. Pool ownership is a game of hits and misses, not perfection.

Enjoy your new pool this year.

Reactions: galowbraw
B,

I was in the same boat... I did not particularly want a pool because our back yard is small and does not have much access.. I told the wife, who also wears the same pants as your wife, to get some estimates, but that no one would be able to build a pool in our back yard.. And, here I am today.. :)

Now the pool is my baby and I'd build it again in a heartbeat.

You are the first person at TFP that I can recall that has the IntelliConnect... So, I nominate you as our official IPOC.. IntelliCenter Point of Contact... ;)

Thanks for a great post,

Jim R.

Geday Bowser,
If thats your pool in your avatar it looks sweet, sit back relax and enjoy.

Your not the first to think you could have done better or chosen wiser and you wont be the last. We’re about to embark on a new pool build, plus house build, renervation and restoration of an rundown heritage home. I’m sure we’ve already made mistakes and best is yet to come.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.