Pentair Intelliconnect and MasterTemp 400 heater

SublimeJhn

Nov 16, 2023
Arizona
Hello, I recently had a pool installed. All pentair products, and the pump and light controller were already wifi ready. My only issue has been the fact that I cannot control the heater from my phone, so I purchased an Intelliconnect system. Paid an installed to come out and hook it up, and he could not get the heater to kick on. He eventually showed it working, took my money and left.

I see now that his "fix" was to hook the firemans switch up to a relay. First of all, everything I am reading states that the fireman's switch should NOT be connected to high voltage, so I immediately disconnected that. Unfortunately when the fireman's switch is hooked to the low lever heater header in the Intelliconnect, it does not turn on. The app does not not turn on the heater no matter what temp I set it on. Not sure what the issue is. Placing the Intelliconnect into service mode and holding down both relay buttons does turn the heater on, for whatever that is worth. Any help?

Sublime -

Welcome to TFP!

Pictures of how things are wired in the Intelliconnect would be helpful. It sounds like it's wired correctly (after you disconnected it from the relay) if the heater turns on when you hold down both relay buttons in service mode, but let's be sure.

Thoughts - do you have a water temp probe installed? Are you able to control the pump and lights with the Pentair Home app (through the Intelliconnect)?

What pump do you have? Fill out your signature so we have more information about your pool.

Thanks-
Jeff

Welcome to TFP.

You need to install the water temperature sensor.

If the IntelliConnect will control a gas heater or heat pump a water temperature sensor, that is sold separately, must be installed between the filter pump and filter.

IMG_20231116_163236.jpgIMG_20231116_163315.jpg
Here's some pics of the wiring. Yes, a thermostat is installed and working correctly. I have a Intelliflo Pro 3 VSF pump. While it does have the green and yellow wires hooked up, it is being controlled separately in the home app and I'm starting to think that may be the problem. Will the Intelliconnect not turn on the heater if you aren't controlling the pump through the Intelliconnect system by chance? If that's the case, I cannot figure out how to use the Intelliconnect to control the pump. I'm at a loss beyond that, because everything is clearly installed correctly, since I can turn the heater on in service mode

Yes, the pump needs to be controlled through the Intelliconnect in the Pentair app. This is to keep the heater from being turned on if the pump isn't running and to shut the heater off if the pump gets shut off. All of your devices need to be added under the Intelliconnect

You will probably need to delete the pump from wherever it is currently controlled in the app.

In the app, choose Pools along the bottom of the screen, then the Pool Devices tab on the top, tap Intelliconnect to take you to the screen to add equipment to the Intelliconnect. Here's a screenshot of what it looks like on my phone.

IMG_0142.PNG

Yes, the pump needs to be controlled through the Intelliconnect in the Pentair app. This is to keep the heater from being turned on if the pump isn't running and to shut the heater off if the pump gets shut off. All of your devices need to be added under the Intelliconnect

You will probably need to delete the pump from wherever it is currently controlled in the app.

In the app, choose Pools along the bottom of the screen, then the Pool Devices tab on the top, tap Intelliconnect to take you to the screen to add equipment to the Intelliconnect. Here's a screenshot of what it looks like on my phone.

View attachment 540899
Ok, at least I'm on the right track then. I just need to figure out why I can't get my pump to communicate with the intelliconnect then. When I add a pump, I just shows up as disabled. When I try to enable it, I get an error saying it's offline. Green and yellow cables hooked up correctly to the pump and Intelliconnect.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-11-17-08-35-36-10_ed31ffb896c47d57b7a7c6b192bb9ccc.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-11-17-08-35-36-10_ed31ffb896c47d57b7a7c6b192bb9ccc.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_2023-11-17-08-35-40-91_ed31ffb896c47d57b7a7c6b192bb9ccc.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-11-17-08-35-40-91_ed31ffb896c47d57b7a7c6b192bb9ccc.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 6
Does your pump say it's connected to automation? I'm assuming you were able to control the pump from the app before the Intelliconnect was added to the mix. Which model pump do you have - 011075 or 011076?

Have you contacted Pentair support? Maybe your Intelliconnect needs a firmware update to be able to talk to the Intelliflo 3 pump. Pentair support has to push the updates to your hardware.

Also, here's a link to info about a request for beta testers for the Intelliconnect if you're interested: Beta-Testers for IntelliConnect Firmware

Does your pump say it's connected to automation? I'm assuming you were able to control the pump from the app before the Intelliconnect was added to the mix. Which model pump do you have - 011075 or 011076?

Have you contacted Pentair support? Maybe your Intelliconnect needs a firmware update to be able to talk to the Intelliflo 3 pump. Pentair support has to push the updates to your hardware.

Also, here's a link to info about a request for beta testers for the Intelliconnect if you're interested: Beta-Testers for IntelliConnect Firmware
Sure enough, the intelliconnect needed a firmware update. Pentair pushed it through and I was able to add the pump no problems. Kinda ridiculous that you can't update the firmware yourself like any other wireless device, but at least it's up and running.

Kinda ridiculous that you can't update the firmware yourself like any other wireless device, but at least it's up and running.

It is frustrating, and hopefully something they are working on fixing. It's hopeful to know they are working on updates to the Intelliconnect.

Glad that they could update your firmware quickly and that it fixed your problem!

Now that your equipment is all running right, be sure and read through Pool School and Pool Care Basics to help make sure the pool itself is in great shape too.

How Clear is TFP Clear?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.