My Above Ground Pool Modifications

Meant to take a picture of my test kit and share it a while ago. With my modifications to my pool, decided my TF-100 was looking a little cramped in the small clear box it all came in, especially with a SpeedStir and the Taylor drop based salt test, so I decided to remedy the cramped space, and now feel like I need some more tests or something to fill all the extra room, lol.

I purchased a separate finishing box which had a little more room. Gave mine away to a friend that purchased refills, etc. who already had the Taylor K-1000, and it was less expensive than the whole kit. Now I am on a journey to find the ultimate storage bin after seeing this one.

I purchased a separate finishing box which had a little more room. Gave mine away to a friend that purchased refills, etc. who already had the Taylor K-1000, and it was less expensive than the whole kit. Now I am on a journey to find the ultimate storage bin after seeing this one.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000E3E12Q/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I love this tackle box, but I do warn that it is massive, bigger than any I've ever seen before. Bought a separate test tube for each test that needs one just to take up more space in the box, lol. Also, the bigger bottle of FAS reagent sticks above the tray just a touch and has to be kept in the spot that I have it in so it will close nicely.

In preparation for opening the pool this week, I'm installing a SWG. Grabbed a Circupool RJ-45 on a great discount last week. :) Yes, its probably overkill for my pool size, lol, but I figure I'll be able to run it at a very low percent and get some extra life out of the cell. After reading the manual online while waiting for it to come in, I realized that the control module has to be mounted on a wall, and the closest wall to my pool is the size of my house 50 feet away. So i decided I'd finally turn the table I built for my pump and filter into a small shed of sorts, that way I can not only mount the RJ-45 control module and timer, but also reduce the amount of sunlight and rain that'll hit the pump. Gonna install a GFCI outlet inside it too. There wouldn't be any issue wiring the timer into the load side of the GFCI so its protected too, right?

This is what the table i built last year looked like at first. I made it so that when it flood rains like it does every year, my motor and everything wouldn't be sitting in water.

I started by building a 2x4 frame that was about 45" tall.

Then I added plywood walls and a plywood roof.

I have since stained it with Thompson's Water Seal, ran electrical conduit for a GFI outlet, Intermatic 101R timer, and Circupool RJ-45 SWG and mounted all those on the back wall. I redid the plumbing to include the SWG cell and flow switch, and also replaced the 2 stock 3/4" fittings with 1-1/2" fittings since the pump was pulling too much water from the skimmer. Needless to say, I've had a very long and busy weekend, lol. Just waiting on the salt to dissolve and doing an Spring Opening SLAM cuz I can't tell if there's algae or dirt on the bottom of the pool and I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I'll take some pictures of the completed project tomorrow, should the rain hold off long enough. Also, let me know if there's any issue viewing the pictures in this post.

Last edited:
The whole front is open, plus I drilled out a large hole where the pump's exhaust is so it won't set the plywood on fire.

And the roof is mad out of 3/8" plywood and a sheet of vinyl roofing to help the rain run off. IDK about you, but I don't trust 3/8" plywood to support my weight, lol.

Its a dreary cloudy day, so pictures didn't turn out that good, but here we go anyway. And yes, there's a reason I don't work as a painter, lol.

The front of the shed I built:

Need to figure out what to do with 10+ extra feet of wires, lol

Plumbing coming out the back. The spigot is to hook up a hose to lower the water level if I need to. Connects to the drain plug of the filter.

Cut out the Coleman/Intex fittings that come on it and replaced them with 1-1/2" Hayward fittings from Amazon. Slight leak from each (about a drop every 5 minutes) that I need to check on this week. Probably not enough Teflon tape.

Last edited:
Its a dreary cloudy day, so pictures didn't turn out that good, but here we go anyway. And yes, there's a reason I don't work as a painter, lol.

The front of the shed I built:
JsW_47KsS3493vCr1Kkqm3BnUGC-_5ullRnFuILsOkv9t0tgbYwzx0F4-ubE1ZC0Toj4zU4SLxFe_UNtBbC0RYce9SZ41sVI9Tee28mOElhxk4BBsJMBCjtUwOuqo85PU6e8iNi80R2XpPePzZvgwbhE0Z0MkvbM-yZLixh-OXRacOgVJWoPUAwRwd-TZE9x4YmjV6G3E-XMWpB2_6S_V3UYgG02Bm3GoJ0t_7Yq12zNHQdgRSG_bceqARCtJGrESZKrd07-11c2vFNUFyUEe_sWvIOLiN_SJWmKfMyrYgNXq9WBmWJy5LfLaYA7EECIlZqS_XBOcVcP5ffm6oxPNcyIO5mOo4dVrYRJ2N4zfPeqjHiEX3u6puAMCO0XnYDkRbn8lOvIVVZTTk8rfVXz7cMYly8916Zdj44lU99NzOOCz3Q6wXjLzyF7z56zSNgjbjN7GfuoGXUmJn712bM7MPcIHHpVDK1R2of8HZvze1L3u0zZTECA_Y7DtRcuEEPQLsXoxn2EyH8vL8smOeCCXRrcyDgkQa__uFb-bfeMCU1AoJWbv2OuN2uKfJkf6T1b9DKjzoPtCx7VFTumNqItdhdvFktMFtmsjQOZIOkL=w1266-h949-no

Need to figure out what to do with 10+ extra feet of wires, lol
Gp_v3N2nfumjEYo1N3o08H3PppXwEd0djufA6idZSCTxUneSMAqmbLkxeES3xJZnYsXkcewoCczdl-MmH09SydN9Pi4WnaDbcwNdlPxBvOlk3a1FTNFfJjyiVQ41Ht_TZcsCFlD9BzCAtz3wd3RuCFn03_LogofdwcXpeYTKU7fiJD3PEitpjDTqnPh2Jhl8a_ZS-1HiNYGFcwUsITkWPU3z-JKFFtfBDu0v27fG-HThm_Ptez3jVPz-SMtu1cqusER6JCi8LR9ai_nhjhp_WN2uQ_TL_skUTibVDslXNFCJYNyXcMHnL5dNdyeM3vwkHp9qmpAXRsyfLsquy67G8qAldyHPXsdd0P0ONhlxGWaSVmZPTM9_GYzWuNNJ3mYQUYtcHlqMLGlFktrfNQJGRhSAQ6jKTvINBLICoTLeVBOutPFL8EpLXoP_AsZGx5JZ6vAO_vMpmaY-f2VkD5IhAIvcoWwPk1LxHxpRVS06ORapNYEbqq8RRIxbopDJ7CzDwp7SjdT1X-0ax6f8tWZeoo-TZTczlq1RvhRdmlInXIk-ZddaarHM4t84Ndjvgx16TlKAEQyvk4CzITogdUupKHd2z1kFUIzVH3F4DOaF=w1266-h949-no

Plumbing coming out the back. The spigot is to hook up a hose to lower the water level if I need to. Connects to the drain plug of the filter.
McgtiZgHeScbFdoxpcJxCBwlfFsVUk_GjbypPHSdZr71stSUxvsHEmbHx0DNksXDlB67nK3y53M4uBX0H5buBucgDeoz9ozCDS89iLZz9hm6iteZNFs-rm3jouX31WTQala8lzVXJIiaKvoQ30yTnA2ziQWarJ8D5Td3rHSeJbeqz2nkYE4Y3Rp2jcWl5af1u56Y2bB-llTa0pe0mByLq0A_cHB9nW4LlTImqHaq7sJi-jezrwaJnGGs_y3jw-HeTurqi51BiGkpZ5LujJthNMtkOKz3SjcOgx72EaBRvigHsZ3WvQQe7x9Za6vsJKyETrpz6KK-RBhVi4mcTCuPsjD5jTd4dRZii3TkmLZpgsquy0hTLgCL5aMSylwSA-oszCekaySOGX7ovMR-ycZjsIMtBqv1XNWf2lZi-gofT35hufKDQ1I1r6J1dpsvUHBTzBKI7qIJS0oSUmpl_NOjzzcUw0zKgPxwV3TteXf9WqsQlFWE49z8yyr95kKVcrqmGH82M9jf2lRWXvYU8x0Jji_RlsyTx1pBcCGpckAsKK_9e8Weurwt2BNMpcAEh0_HOnWYZWtdLDCYq-kZ0jOh8lGAFx1k0PJjTkX5Unvr=w1266-h949-no

Cut out the Coleman/Intex fittings that come on it and replaced them with 1-1/2" Hayward fittings from Amazon. Slight leak from each (about a drop every 5 minutes) that I need to check on this week. Probably not enough Teflon tape.
bvwdbo5-RlP1w5rrCruQbomP-zor7acFDVmKG0TIaX8Slv8_960SJaNJ2Z82UZJ1fMQ6b_9jMMzsNVpjVqXF-6NIFCn-7OcqUEv2-w2vxPBg780ujhNZ2RhmeeYIoRMTOFvhZlbDrUlk4JfOXf-t3WXw8X8Yphr5JL1GrLlDjvsyn81YhcO-KtQ-j_UPZuaWmNcRaVuuM-76v6Y7uA-5TkYU7bmMUWgN4Z8wd0-sHWad7_cKdRvfrgZ03K-Fzw2FkfsNMKF4TfEq2GNHbBfX5b2MVxTPQIWEgVdUWg10KmcEKJOGSVJo0NsvwQFSNetnU2EdKQHlbU9st6n7JX_8NZ84NTmpvNu31zgLzkgl21GBXnxHH0bPiKJAxepc2xpGlXOlIg0tfDt5aMaDVQaPTwmTRAyx2dv9i2GmxKeQ6wyyfeQhEE4iLSYDdLx9QNM0EzdFuKI9eP3ARFCS0RL1Nsewt12CU5J-uFHiyL2h1RuAXraT6Ytm3VLCB7SL554BoU0TeTieE8nBUdQgOgK3viPvHZ959nsGTg5PpPoUiuTPJ0U2hApV3U9ZHuRH7GJ6z83akUjqawtrR7hcTwGKxL1lPdE3JZa9Wp_4PjEW=w1266-h949-no
For some reason I cannot see the most recent images you uploaded on the app....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'll upload them to a different site when I get to work and can use a computer, hosting from Google Photos seems to randomly work for some and not for others.

DateFCCCPHTACHCYATempSaltCSI
03/08/18 1:14 PM7.5.57.660------3200-1.65
03/07/18 1:59 PM8.5.57.6--------2800-1.72
03/07/18 5:36 AM9.5.57.860------2560-1.52
03/06/18 12:10 PM10.507.450------2200-1.98

While waiting for the FC to drop over a couple of days, at least I've got a good idea how much FC loss to target for my new SWG, lol. Was very surprised to find that much chlorine left in the pool after being closed for a couple months.

I see them! They are great! I don't know why you think you can't paint....looks good to me!

If some PB spent as much time and effort to make their equipment pads look that nice the world would be a better place for all new pools! VERY well done!

Kim:kim:

The back of both the inside and outside makes me cringe. It's so unevenly painted. Also, I should have planned it out better when I set up the pool last year, so the plumbing and equipment would have been on the backside of the pool not facing the road. Too lazy to try to turn the whole thing now though, especially don't want to try to even out that liner again.

I do not blame you one bit! When my installer put in my liner he meant to get the seams in the bottom lined up with the house but got to working and did not notice they were not....it bothered him more than me. It was smooth and done.....leave it alone!! When you are dealing with a 33' round liner you only want to mess with it once!!!

You can always put up a pretty lattice blocker but I would not even bother doing that. Let everyone see you great handywork!

Kim:kim:

Been planning to install a skimmer and hard plumb my 18'x48" AG pool for a while now, and now I'm finally getting around to it. I've already connected my new Hayward Power-Flo LX 1HP and Hayward Easy-Clear filter, but its still using the hoses that came with my pool. Once all the parts arrive in the mail next week, I'll be installing skimmer and cutting the liner, using just the skimmer as the inlet for the pump, and I'll be replacing the plunger valve and odd jet that came with my pool with a normal ball valve and a 1" eyeball jet. Gonna use 1-1/2" PVC for the skimmer to support the weight of the water in it, since my pool's soft vinyl liner won't be able to support it on its own, and I'll be using a combination of 1-1/2" PVC and 1-1/2" flexible PVC on the return so it has a bit of play in case we get rough in the pool. I'll also be burying the electrical wire inside some PVC conduit for the power outlet for the pump (whenever the ground decides to dry up from 3" of rain every few days :(). I'll post pictures as I do all this, since I know I've looked at plenty of pictures to get an idea of what I'm doing here (especially with installing skimmer and cutting the liner) and I'm sure others will want to as well.

Plumbing "blueprints"

New pump and filter vs old pump and filter
Can you send pics of the pool if its done

Can you send pics of the pool if its done

There are supposed to be loads of pictures in this thread, but apparently when I moved all my pictures from Google Photos to Postimage, I forgot about this thread. I'll update them when I get a chance and if the weather permits tomorrow, I'll take some more pictures and add them. Pool is completely finished now and runs beautifully.

Sounds like my kind of fun. Haven't had the chance to read this whole thread. I'm sure you know this already, just make sure you bury that electrical conduit deep enough below the frost line for your area. I've been meaning to extend and jump off my GFCI to eliminate the extension cord even though its only 10 ft.

Where I live in GA, it might get cold enough to worry about Frost and freezing 2 or 3 days throughout all winter. Plus, the electrical wire that powers the well is buried about 2.5" deep and hasn't had any problems for 30 years, so this new wire that's now 1.5' deep should do just fine, lol.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.