My 4000 series Pentair DE filter is leaking water from the backwash pipe.

greggy7616

Mar 13, 2023
Chandler, arizona
I was in process of cleaning the filter tank assembly and decided to get to a side problem of the filter having a small leak while the pump/filter is running. Got to removing the manifold and center rod to attempt to get to lower o'ring since the o'rings do eventually get old. Anyone have any ideas of how to get the manifold and rod off, so I can get to the o'ring inspection?

I was in process of cleaning the filter tank assembly and decided to get to a side problem of the filter having a small leak while the pump/filter is running. Got to removing the manifold and center rod to attempt to get to lower o'ring since the o'rings do eventually get old. Anyone have any ideas of how to get the manifold and rod off, so I can get to the o'ring inspection?
Your filter is actually an old Purex SMBW series filter that Pentair continued to make/sell after they acquired the company. The rotary valve doesn't use an O ring but a special seal. This is a link to a rather poor-quality video on how to remove the valve to get to it:
Here is a link to get the seal. Be aware that this is for the "tapered" seal. If yours is straight its not the right part.

Thanks for your help. I reassembled the filter without trying to get the seal and valve out (not replaced). Still leaks, but now at a faster rate. These parts have never been replaced or serviced and the filter is almost 20 years old. Now, I wonder if that is the real issue and if I can successfully replace it myself. Sounds like an issue to physically remove the valve. I think if I call for service, they will try to get me to replace the whole filter and system.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.