Major leak- losing 1” per hour

A pool will come out of the ground if there is enough ground water surrounding it. That's what hydrostatic drains are for, they allow water into the pool to equalize so the pool won't lift. You may have one. Many times they are located under the main drain cover with the suction port.
If you do scuba, remove the main drain cover and check. If you don't have one, mix a ball of hydraulic cement, or a large ball of epoxy, and plug the drain port. You don't really need it anyway. A leak in main drain plumbing is an extensive repair, usually involving jack hammering into the pool wall.

National Plasterer's Council recommends a pool not be left dry in the sun for more than 5 days.
@1poolman1 Today I noticed these cracks in the pool. Would you be concerned about this? I’m refilling 1 hour at a time because I’m concerned about straining my well pump. However, the pool is way more expensive than the well so perhaps I need to reprioritize and get this sucker filled asap. It stinks because it is going to need to be drained again the end of next week to get the niche filled. I feel like I’m fighting a losing battle.

I’ve been hosing down the exposed walls about 2-3 times per day, but it looks like that hasn’t preventing what looks like cracks.
682B145E-CAE2-490A-BB01-EE9D9582DF3E.jpeg

From this site:
Known as crazing or checking, the tiny, barely visible cracks are usually caused by extreme temperature variations, especially during initial curing. These are only shrinkage cracks, and pose no structural hazard or danger of leaking. Light acid washing could remove the crazed layer. Larger cracks should be cut out in a butterfly or dovetail fashion with a 4" or 7" grinder, and filled with a pool plaster repair mix or a Flexible Sealer can be used where further movement is suspected.

Are you sure those WEREN'T there prior to losing water? I just find it hard to believe you'd get cracks in just 3 days or so? (those don't seem problematic from the picture, just cosmetic?)

Right? I feel the same way. The pool hasn’t been empty very long at all.

Its possible those cracks have always been there but just weren’t as noticeable when there is water in the pool.

I don’t see any similar cracks on the walls. Our stairs on the other side are shaded by a tree, and they all look fine. That ledge with the cracks is the only spot getting direct sun all day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.