Major leak- losing 1” per hour

Also, this is PAST my area of expertise, but I wouldn't worry about the pool lifting/floating if it goes empty. You're in FL... so your ground won't freeze and shift. I've had my plaster pool EMPTY last Summer for close to a week or two without issue (not by choice but....). Maybe someone else can chip in, but I believe the lifting/pooling issue is just an issue for winters and cold weather and things of that nature. That's what I've been told by two different pool builders/service companies I've worked with. An empty plaster pool in Summer isn't great, and can hurt the plaster especially in really hot sun for ongoing days but, lifting? I don't think that's a concern. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please.
A pool will come out of the ground if there is enough ground water surrounding it. That's what hydrostatic drains are for, they allow water into the pool to equalize so the pool won't lift. You may have one. Many times they are located under the main drain cover with the suction port.
If you do scuba, remove the main drain cover and check. If you don't have one, mix a ball of hydraulic cement, or a large ball of epoxy, and plug the drain port. You don't really need it anyway. A leak in main drain plumbing is an extensive repair, usually involving jack hammering into the pool wall.

National Plasterer's Council recommends a pool not be left dry in the sun for more than 5 days.

Reactions: jesse-99
FYI, others can chime in on how long plaster (not sure the age of yours?) can be exposed to bare sun before it gets a bit risky. I think it's very weather/heat/sun dependent so an exact amount of time or # of days might be hard for people to chime in on, but figuring 75-80 degrees and mostly sunny days, I'd suspect you could still get by for days or a week. I went 1-2 weeks in Spring (50-80 degree temps) on 12 year old plaster and didn't see any cracks form or damage from not having water in the pool last year. As for lifting, I'm also lucky in that I'm on top of a hill, so likelihood of lifting due to water level underground is probably lower for me too than most others. Just try not to panic, I know it sucks and its a bit scary, I been there. but you're on top of it, so I think you'll get it figured out soon! let us know !
A pool will come out of the ground if there is enough ground water surrounding it. That's what hydrostatic drains are for, they allow water into the pool to equalize so the pool won't lift. You may have one. Many times they are located under the main drain cover with the suction port.
If you do scuba, remove the main drain cover and check. If you don't have one, mix a ball of hydraulic cement, or a large ball of epoxy, and plug the drain port. You don't really need it anyway. A leak in main drain plumbing is an extensive repair, usually involving jack hammering into the pool wall.

National Plasterer's Council recommends a pool not be left dry in the sun for more than 5 days.
VERY helpful! Thank you. Tomorrow the water should be low enough to remove the main drain cover and check for the hydrostatic drain. I tried today, and failed miserably. I’m too buoyant :)

5 days, dang. No way I’ll be able to get the pool refilled in that time. Since the pool is old, maybe this is a good excuse to get the thing resurfaced.

Well that doesn't necessarily mean your plaster is going to go kaboom in 5 days. :) If you stop the leak, 2 outside spigots and appropriate length hoses should fill your 26,000 gallons up in about 24-32 hours if you can flow 8-10gpm?

Reactions: KylieKendrick
FYI, others can chime in on how long plaster (not sure the age of yours?) can be exposed to bare sun before it gets a bit risky. I think it's very weather/heat/sun dependent so an exact amount of time or # of days might be hard for people to chime in on, but figuring 75-80 degrees and mostly sunny days, I'd suspect you could still get by for days or a week. I went 1-2 weeks in Spring (50-80 degree temps) on 12 year old plaster and didn't see any cracks form or damage from not having water in the pool last year. As for lifting, I'm also lucky in that I'm on top of a hill, so likelihood of lifting due to water level underground is probably lower for me too than most others. Just try not to panic, I know it sucks and its a bit scary, I been there. but you're on top of it, so I think you'll get it figured out soon! let us know !!
Thank you. It has been a stressful day, and my husband is traveling (of course!) so I really do appreciate the support from you and others on the thread chiming in to share your ideas.

We’re still consistently breaking 90-94 everyday here, so sun damage + the age of the pool has me thinking it may be time to consider resurfacing before we refill.

Well that doesn't necessarily mean your plaster is going to go kaboom in 5 days. :) If you stop the leak, 2 outside spigots and appropriate length hoses should fill your 26,000 gallons up in about 24-32 hours if you can flow 8-9gpm?
Oh we’re on a well. I’ll have to get some water delivered, for sure.

I've a well here too... but I filled mine just 4 weeks ago from my well because the new plastering job was completed on a Saturday, and municipalities won't even fill water trucks on the weekend (doh!) . Depending on your well water, it might be high in iron or copper, etc. and you'll have to be ready for that, but you could at least start getting SOME water in it and totally cover the floor of the pool and wet down your walls and such, and then bring in water trucks to fill in the rest. Some people's well water isn't that bad. Mine is really high in iron, but low on copper and maganese and my TA from the well is super high but, those kinds of things can be fixed quickly with the right balancing/chemicals and reagent tests.

I’m too buoyant :)
A good trick I saw somewhere is take a hand weight into the pool with you and place it on the pool floor. When time to surface, just let go. If you don’t have one of those rubber covered ones, maybe place it on a small towel.

Reactions: dblko and jesse-99

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Were you able to close the main drain? Perhaps there is some way to improvise it if its not accessible enough yet
to unscrew the cover. Could try covering it up, maybe with an inverted bucket weighted down by the hand weight.
Just making something up as an interested reader, have never tried that myself. Good luck.

I mislead everyone assuming the main drain was the issue. It was the light!!!!

After removing the light, I could see lots of broken concrete and holes around the edge. I was able to get my entire index finger in one of the holes.

I also had some luck getting a pool tech out. The gentleman who came by thinks whoever resurfaced the pool last did the light area incorrectly. He recommended redoing that existing opening and creating a new, smaller opening for a new light.

As a temporary fix until I get on the schedule for the permanent repair, I was able to patch the various holes using hydraulic cement since we had some in the garage. I had never used it before, but was pleasantly surprised by how easy it is to work with.

I am currently refilling the pool a bit to test my patch work and get some weight back in the pool. The tech mentioned the risk of floating is low since the pool is still half full, but I’m the paranoid type.

Next step is to get on their schedule to fix the light opening and figure out if I want to refill using my well, or have some water delivered. Then SLAM. I have tadpoles swimming in the pool right now. They’re cute but they gotta go!

1F9B61B7-E434-43DA-9B0D-70AAADDF1DBA.jpegF2755F89-3A54-4634-A4EA-B2C401DE683F.jpeg

Reactions: Lanzz and dblko
Good find and glad it's the light. Sounds like the resurfacing contractor damaged the niche. That sucks but, like the main drain, you don't technically need a pool light. The entire thing could be removed and patched. But I get it if you want to have one. Hopefully the new repair guy will do a good job.

Reactions: dblko
Great point! I think I have turned that light on twice in 4 years. I’ll ask for a quote to just seal the entire thing up and not replace the light. It won’t break my heart to get rid of it entirely. Thank you for the idea.

That's awesome you found it ! Did you find it cause the water level stopped going lower at the point of the light?

Almost, but not quite. As the water dropped I noticed the light fixture shifting slightly. It was very lose. I guess water pressure was largely holding it in place when the pool was full.

I removed the light and began investigating, not really knowing what I was looking for. Then I saw a poor tadpole get sucked into that big gap I mentioned I could stick an entire finger in.

So I guess you can do leak tests with special dye, or tadpoles.

Glad you found it. I agree with the above post on seeing if just closing it is an option. I have a light and we never use it. If it ever leaked I’d also consider sealing it if the price was out of line for a replacement.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.