Main Pump Not Turning On

ynotpost

In The Industry
Apr 20, 2022
San Bernardino
I need help. I do pool inspections as a side job. I was recently at an inspection, and performed a function check, turned all of the pool pumps on and off: pool, spa, water wall, and water slide pumps. The next day I got a call from the homeowner saying his pool pump wouldn't turn on. His pool guy said I damaged the impeller (which he "had" to replace $300) and said I damaged the impeller by turning the pumps on and off too quickly. He wasn't there and that's not what i did. It's worth noting that the pumps/pool equipment are controlled via a remote panel located inside the home. While all the pumps were on, At the pool equipment I put the pool panel in service mode and once I did that, the pumps shut down. Then I proceeded to turn each pump on one by one and they all came on. Once I observed everything was functional, I switched the panel back into auto mode and all the pumps turned back on normally with no issues at the pumps.

Now during the inspection, two pumps were leaking water from the bottom, the filter bowl pressure was excessive at 30 psi, and there were multiple plumbing leaks at Valves. All of which indicate a problem right? So I'm having trouble understanding how I damaged the impeller by doing a normal function check. Based on the conditions observed, It seemed as though there was an impending failure waiting to happen at the pool equipment. Your thoughts?

Thanks for the input and advice in advance.

y,

Sounds like a large load of Bull Feathers to me. :mrgreen:

I think it would be impossible to damage an impeller by just turning the pump on and off, no matter how quickly you did it.

Using the Service mode is exactly what should have been done.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: ynotpost
y,

Sounds like a large load of Bull Feathers to me. :mrgreen:

I think it would be impossible to damage an impeller by just turning the pump on and off, no matter how quickly you did it.

Using the Service mode is exactly what should have been done.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Jim you're the Man! That's exactly what I figured I just needed some back up from an expert. So your words are very helpful👍

Sounds like they are trying to get you to pay for getting there systems fixed for free...
Fortunately they're not asking me to pay for it but the realtor representing the homeowner sent a slanderous email to my biggest client mentioning words of "Concern" about my inspection practices. That's what under my skin right now. So I want to fight fire with fire. Thanks Cowboy

Reactions: cowboycasey
Unfortunately, under the right conditions, that can happen. I did it once. Fortunately it was my own pool. Is it not likely that ynoypost had anything to do with it. The high filter pressure could be a key, especially if it was on a larger filter. When the pump turns off that pressure can force the water backwards through the pump and unscrew the impeller. You can hear that at times on many systems, especially ones in disrepair with clogged filters.
He didn't mention brand and hp, but many older pumps do not have a reverse-thread impeller screw to prevent that. Next time the pump starts you get damage. Also, if the motor is being forced backwards and energized at the same time it CAN actually run backwards and unscrew the impeller causing damage. Engineers will tell you that can't happen but that's how my pump was damaged. Very early in my career and I didn't know better. I've seen 3 pumps run backwards over the years though it supposed to be impossible. Its incredibly rare, but other "old timers" have had similar experiences.
Looks like ynotpost experienced "wrong place wrong time" or the owner was doing his own test and inadvertantly caused the damage. Some people just have to play the "blame game."

After pump, before pump, doesn't matter much, as long as it prevents water from flowing backward through the pump. I prefer .5lb spring-check valves with unions in front, if there is room, as they seem to fail less frequently and add the least head to the system (but they all fail sooner or later). For space savings, Jandy-type are good, easily repaired when they fail, and easy to see if there is debris blocking them from closing.

If your solar was added after the pool was built it is very common to see it in that location or after the filter. There usually isn't room in front of the pump if it wasn't planned in advance. Sometimes the pump will turn off with the solar valve still open to the panels. A way to keep the water in the panels from flowing backwards, if that happens, is needed to keep from backwashing debris back to the pool and, in the case of cartridge filters damaging the cartridges. I was taught to put valve that in the solar-supply line, but sometimes there isn't room in a retro fit installation.

My check valve is actually a FlowVis (based on a Jandy body), doubling as both flow meter (to fine tune my solar panel flow) and check valve (to keep the solar panel water where it's suppose to be). I have an IntelliFlo, so I'm not sure the backflow-through-the-pump issue is even a thing, but good to know the Vis is adding some protection in that regard. There really wasn't anywhere else to install it. Thanks for the info!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.