Lippy42

Jun 28, 2022
MA
Hello,

We went to open our pool in early June, pool had about 2 feet of water on the bottom. Called a company that plugged the main drain for about $200. They say they can fix the leak to allow us to use the main drain again, however, it will require some jack hammering around the drain. They said the issue is likely the nylon fitting, which deteriorates over time (this is a pool from the 1960's/70's). They said they may have to drill through the shell of the pool, if the main drain pipe is leaking. They estimate the repair will cost around $900 either way. They said they can come in a week or two to fix it. The pool is about empty now.

Given my current situation. Is it worth fixing the main drain? If I fix this drain, will this issue just come back to drain all of my water in a year or two? Will the jack hammering around the drain, damage the gunite elsewhere due to vibrations? Should I abandon the main drain and just rely on the plug for now? Will the plug be enough to prevent this pool from leaking long-term? I want to do the best long term solution, now is the time. With that said, I probably won't be able to replaster the pool for at least a few years, maybe longer.

-Xavier

Welcome to TFP
Main drains are not necessary. It would be good to know how many skimmers you have and also how many pipes feeding your suction side of the pump. Maybe post a picture.

My concern would be you are reducing 1 suction pipe. If you have multiple others then no big deal.

Also, are you comfortable that I’d you don’t repair the main drain that it won’t leak and lose pool water? An they seal the main drain completely to avoid any leaks?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you do a replaster - ensure they chip away the old plaster such that you have a better bond to the gunite shell.

If you do a replaster - ensure they chip away the old plaster such that you have a better bond to the gunite shell.
Ok I will be sure to ask about this. I also have a line of tile around the top side of the pool. Is there any benefit, other than aesthetics, to keep this line of tile around the top? Just thinking it may be cheaper for the replastering if we don't need to retile that line.

Ok I will be sure to ask about this. I also have a line of tile around the top side of the pool. Is there any benefit, other than aesthetics, to keep this line of tile around the top? Just thinking it may be cheaper for the replastering if we don't need to retile that line.
When they do a replaster, they will chip out all of the existing plaster. They will also chip a little deeper under the tiles such that as they add the new plaster it will come up flat to the existing tiles. So it all looks cohesive. Additionally, they will also do this around the pool returns and they should also replace all pool return nozzles and drain covers. Everything will look just like new.
You can also have them clean the waterline tiles to remove all scrum before they do the plaster.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.