Magic eraser hack

Ok, although I'm pretty sure OP is just having a laugh, I guess for someone coming across this I better put the answer in.

Those things are made of melamine (CYA testing reagent), sodium bisulfate (pH reducer), and formaldehyde. None of these do anything to hurt algae. There is no science here, just gullible people who fall for and forward things that should really make them go "that doesn't seem likely". Most of them are probably scared of chlorine but then suggest putting formaldehyde in their water ?

So anybody arriving here in search of this question: welcome to TFP! Your skepticism has served you well and brought you to the best place on the internet for pool care. Stick around for actual ways to clear a green pool and keep it clear. Please make an account, check out the ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry, and don't be afraid to ask questions. Just please, use the eraser for its intended purposes and don't just throw them in the skimmer hoping for a miracle :p

If we're making up nonsense uses for magic eraser, I would say that it removes cyanuric acid because the melamine can bind to cyanuric acid. That's at least more plausible.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, out of curiosity I tried it. Turned my pool in to a vat of bubbling green acid, which some crazy haired scientist and his grandson then jumped in to. I tried to put a ladle in it and it melted, so that was definitely real acid.

• Haha
Reactions: Arizonarob
Ok, although I'm pretty sure OP is just having a laugh, I guess for someone coming across this I better put the answer in.

Those things are made of melamine (CYA testing reagent), sodium bisulfate (pH reducer), and formaldehyde. None of these do anything to hurt algae. There is no science here, just gullible people who fall for and forward things that should really make them go "that doesn't seem likely". Most of them are probably scared of chlorine but then suggest putting formaldehyde in their water ?

So anybody arriving here in search of this question: welcome to TFP! Your skepticism has served you well and brought you to the best place on the internet for pool care. Stick around for actual ways to clear a green pool and keep it clear. Please make an account, check out the ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry, and don't be afraid to ask questions. Just please, use the eraser for its intended purposes and don't just throw them in the skimmer hoping for a miracle :p
Just in the interest of completeness and accuracy regarding "containing formaldehyde" . Snopes

Key bullet points:

• The ingredients in Magic Eraser have been safely and commonly used for many years in a wide range of household products.

• Formaldehyde is not and has never been an ingredient in Magic Eraser. One ingredient in Magic Eraser (formaldehyde-melamine-sodium bisulfite copolymer) contains the word “formaldehyde” in its chemical name. However, this ingredient is not formaldehyde and poses no health or safety risks. (Think of this name like “sodium chloride”, which is table salt. Sodium by itself can be dangerous, but sodium chloride – salt – is safe.)

• Magic Eraser is considered non-toxic. As with any sponge-like product, when swallowed this product may block the gastrointestinal tract. Therefore, we do advise to keep this product out of the reach of children and pets to avoid accidental ingestion — it is not a toy.

• It is possible that formaldehyde may be present in minute, trace amounts as a result of the manufacturing process. Even then, the amount present is significantly lower than standards established by governmental agencies and trade associations, and is actually less than what is found in indoor air.

• In fact, no ingredients in Magic Eraser are subject to any health-related labeling laws in North America or in the European Union.
Of course I don't know what happens when you subject this co-polymer to high levels of chlorine, Does it stay a co-polymer? Better chemists than I will have to answer that.

This "hack" as been around the internet for years. It does not work! If it did everyone would be doing it. We would be telling people to do it. It doesn't kill algae, and it doesn't remove algae. You need a pool clean fast? Like overnight fast? Drain and refill is the only way that will happen. Also you don't get to come onto our forum and tell people not to comment if they are not going to say what you want to hear. Other people come here and read threads looking for help with their pools. We are not going to let misinformation steer someone else in the wrong direction. We are going to refute it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.