LOWER CYA BY OVERFILLING POOL

oldguy001

Jul 4, 2019
Naples, FL
My CYA is waaay too high, so a friend who is a pool tech told me to put water in the pool and let it drain out the overflow. In other words, since the CYA is mostly at the upper level of the water, over-filling it will push the top layer out, along with a lot of the CYA. This seems like a viable alternative to draining the pool. Any thougthts?

og,

So what makes you think that the CYA is mostly at the upper levels of the pool? My understanding is that it, like all chemicals, are pretty much mixed in with all the pool water..

Thanks,

Jim R.

CYA is even at all levels of your pool water......I have heard that urban legend about CYA concentrating but it doesn't........top, bottom or anywhere. Tell your pool tech friend to come see us at troublefreepool.com

I just recently got a Taylor test kit, (K-2006), because I was tired of taking samples to the pool store and coming home with a hundred dollars worth of stuff that doesn't fix the problems. The FC was off the chart high, and the CYA test was so high I couldn't see the black dot after only a quarter inch of solution in the vial, AND the PH was so low it was barely pale yellow. The first thing I did was turn off my In-line Tablet Feeder. Then I started on the PH by introducing over 20 lbs. of baking soda over a couple of days, but no change. A friend recommended I use Soda Ash, but Pinch-A-Penny didn't know what that was, and sold me Sodium Carbonate at some ridiculous price. 10 lbs. later it was barely improved. I went online and discovered that Leslie's Pool Supply had the soda ash, so I bought a ten pound bucket and, VOILA! The Level was perfect.
I was then able to get the FC and TA pretty close. I left everything alone for the next week while my six grandkids were in town and practically lived in the pool. After they left, my friend told me to start overfilling the pool, as the CYA was mostly near the top and would go out the overflow hole. I did that for two days and now my pool is green and I need to start over. The problem is, the CYA level is still just as high as it was, and I'm at a loss as to what to do now. Can someone please help me?

I see from a previous post that the CYA is not at the top of the water. Will over filling the pool get rid of enough of the Cyanuric Acid to allow me to balance the water?
Review the article I referenced in an earlier post.

Being that you are in FL, your season is long so you *do* need to get a grasp on this soon.
I would recommend you rent a pump at Home Depot and drain half your pool. Refill it....and then drain and refill again. I hesitate suggesting you do it all in one fell swoop only because of high water tables in FL and also being a liner pool. You never want to lower liner pool's water without leaving a foot in the shallow end lest the liner shift.

Then you can start by obtaining refills if needed for your FAS-DPD test, and read how to perform a SLAM process.
SLAM Process

That will give you the best, most economical method of pool care and a tried and true way of keeping a clean, clear pool.

Maddie :flower:

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Please see the link in post #2 for the No Drain Water Exchange method.

Oldguy,

Welcome to TFP!
Ditto Maddie's comments on water table. Many parts of Florida have 40" or less to the water table. You should quit using tablets except for vacation. Liquid chlorine or salt pools work great. We're on the other side of Florida and use the pool almost every day year-round. Also, it will help a lot if you enter your signature so we can see it. Click the screen name above right and open your "signature" window. Enter pool size, type and equipment brand/model information. Will get you quicker response from our experts since they won't have to ask several cycles of basic information.

Our experts deal with your kind of problem often and will advise you through this in short order. Just ask any question you may have, you'll get a quick response from experts that have nothing to sell so you know their advice is solid. It's what we do.

Good luck!

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.